Ontario vs Western Quebec vs Gaspe?? 3/3-3/11

snowpromod

Looking for some insight on where to head next week - 3/3 - 3/11 ... group of two from Akron, Ohio - we typically ride Quebec - mostly Mont Valin and St Michelle areas. 

Option 1 - Ontario - 520 miles or 8 hrs in the truck - Sault - Hearst- Cochrane - Timmins - Chapleau - Sault - this would be our first time in Ontario, not sure what to expect from a grooming/traffic stand point

Option 2 - Western Quebec - 803 miles or 14 hrs in the truck - Val'dor - Matagami - Chib - Roberval - Gouin - Balbuzard - Val'dor - we have covered this are before

Option 3 - Gaspe - 950 miles or 15 hrs in the truck - no set route as of yet, but I think your typical Gaspe loop would work for us.  In Feb we rode the Cote-Nord and saw the North side of the St. Lawrence.

The shorter drive to Ontario is appealing, but it is not the end all be all - unfortunately we are used to driving...we have season passes to Quebec, but again it is not a problem to buy an Ontario permit.  

I can't comment on Gaspe, but can on the others.  You will find Ontario to be a different experience than what you have seen in Quebec.  I personally prefer Quebec over the area you've mentioned in Ontario.  These areas in Ontario are very fast riding, many rail grades, Hydro lines, straight and flat.   Hearst, Kap, Cochrane, Timmins, are all very large towns, similar to Chib, or larger. Never been down towards the Sault before, WAWA area looks to be a bit more remote.   You should be to the point in the season where traffic has naturally lighted, but weekends during peak season are crazy, especially around Cochrane.  Conditions have always been pretty decent, but I can say I have experienced many more miles of plowed roads in Ontario as compared to Quebec, so when the sun shines and no snow, it can get tough going.  They don't seem to put much effort into trail reroutes for logging operations or necessary vehicle traffic.  Also, IMO, Ontario doesn't seem to take snowmobiling quite as serious from an economical impact as they do in Quebec, so there seems to be less emphasis placed on it.  I feel like Quebec does everything they can to get the trails open as quickly as possible and maintain them to the best of their ability as long as possible, where in Ontario, it seems like they simply put it together when the weather is fit, with the exception of Cochrane, they always seem to be on the ball.

Don't get me wrong, This is not meant to bash Ontario, I like both places very well and there is certainly a benefit to the drive when it comes to going to Ontario, I am simply offering up my experiences/opinions on both.   

Coming from a guy whose chased snow all over, I would say you don't know what you don't know, get out and try something new, whether it be the Gaspe or Ontario, it's going to be new and different.

Keep us posted on your ride!

Avoid Cochrane / Timmins area on the weekend and you’re golden with Ontario.  The southern half of the province is bare now, so they are seeing heavier weekend traffic (they are the closest drive to the Toronto area).  Ontario is faster riding.  Hills in Wawa.  Much flatter towards Cochrane.  Wawa has seen 3’ of new snow in the last 2 weeks and I believe your entire route has all been dumped on recently.  It is still mid season riding up there.  Given your three choices I don’t think you can pick wrong.  They are all great.

If going the Ontario route you have to buy your passes online.  They aren’t available locally.  Just go to OFSC.on.ca and pull the permit page up.  You need your sled ownership paperwork to do so. You can print temp passes right from your computer, no need to wait for the mail.

I have ridden all the areas you mentioned.  I live in the Toronto area and IMO nothing beats Gaspe; the scenery, great fast trails, fantastic accommodations and food, we are actually heading back to Gaspe tomorrow, starting a clockwise loop from Matane. 

Edited by Carman

I’ve ridden Gaspe’ and Northern Ontario and the scenery, accommodations and food is by far better in the Gaspe’!

Northen Ontario has in my opinion the fastest trails With the least amount of stop signs and quite a bit of it is rolling and winding.

If you decide Ontario start North of the Sault in Gulais River, it’s generally 100 miles between towns and usually no cell service so be prepared.

0827DEBB-5E9F-493C-9BCD-3C561DD02DEE.jpeg

B117A433-E199-4CB9-BED1-1EB2C3C0C61D.jpeg

Hi SnowProMod,

You may have already made your decision by now but we just pulled into Riviere du Loup.  I talked to a couple of people that are just getting back from Gaspe.  Both groups said the riding is really good.  For one group it was their first time here and they were impressed to say the least.

You get to pick but I don't think you will be disappointed if you choose Gaspe.  Just check the weather and give yourselves enough time to make a nice loop.

Jack & Sandi

Sorry, this too may be too late, 

We drive from columbus, so I feel your pain. We have ridden alot in ontario in the past. The area north of wawa and north of north bay primarily the northern corridor Dub, hearst, cochrane, kirkland, new lisk may be the best ont option  this late. I honestly haven't been following their conditions lately.

Not to knock ont at all because we also love it there to but........ we find they utilise roads that may be plowed or sunshine damaged by now. We have had some great ont trips but we find consistency of grooming, signage, information and services better in Quebec.

We just did the gaspe last week and it was great. If you've never been out there before, now may be the time. Just my long 2cents. 

Jeff and Sandy