On Star members

revct1

To all of you On Star folks.  I'm an On Star customer and like it.  The reason for this post is a little info.

The check engine light came on today while we were driving up to RDL.  Over the years this has happened and On Star has been very helpful. 

Well, this time On Star did not connect.  We were half way between Quebec and RDL.  We ended up calling On Star on the cell phone and got a bit of info that I didn't know.  Vehicles 2014 and older cannot connect to On Star in Canada.  Only 2015 and newer vehicles can.  What I got from the conversation with On Star is Canada upgraded their network and the older On Star vehicles cannot talk to the new network in Canada.  You can still call via cell phone but On Star cannot run diagnostics or connect to your vehicle.  Now I'm wondering, On Star probably cannot even unlock the door?

Just passing along a little news.

Jack & Sandi

Yes 2014 and older use 3G (CDMA/EVDO) technology and was on Verizon in the US.  In 2015 and newer the cellular radio in the GM vehicles utilize 4G LTE radios and is served by AT&T in the US.  If I recall correctly there was a series of notifications about the older vehicles/radios. I think they can be changed. At what cost?