Currency Exchange at Thousand Island Bridge?

Munson

Driving to Shawinigan via 81/Thousand Island Bridge on Thursday morning.  Is there a place to exchange currency at the border crossing?  Any idea what their hours might be (hopefully crossing around 8am).  Thanks  

I have stopped in Brockville at banks. Also there is an exchange place In Kingston but your going west first. I don't know if the duty free store exchanges anymore. 

The place in Kingston is Wellington exchange.  Goggle it and it give you the address. 

Once you come off the bridge Kingston is approximately 20 miles west one way in the opposite direction than were your headed.

Going east on the 401, there is a currency exchange in Cornwall. https://www.google.ca/search?q=currenc+exchange+cornwall+area&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-ca&client=safari#trex=m_t:lcl_akp,rc_f:nav,rc_ludocids:14781842508027034811,rc_q:Exchange%20Corporation%20Canada,ru_q:Exchange%20Corporation%20Canada

Failing that most Canadian banks will exchange US money, or can’t you exchange ahead of time at your home US bank?

Edited by Cnc

1 hour ago, Munson said:

Driving to Shawinigan via 81/Thousand Island Bridge on Thursday morning.  Is there a place to exchange currency at the border crossing?  Any idea what their hours might be (hopefully crossing around 8am).  Thanks  

Are you a member of AAA ?  We recently purchased CAD from AAA and not only was it  a reasonable rate it was free two day delivery. Check it out @ http://ww2.aaa.com/scripts/WebObjects.dll/AAAOnline?association=aaa&club=240&page=TravelMoneyHome&zip=10601&devicecd=PC

The only downside is that someone has to be home to sign for the package and they will only deliver it your home address on file with AAA. So if you need it delivered to a place other then home you are out of luck. 

Best of luck to you...

Paddy O

Edited by nyskidooerinnewhampshire

"I use the ATM to get the best rate"

That never occurred to me.  Has anyone else done that? Thanks

Not a member of AAA.

My bank has to order it and I will be back by the time they get it.  Another bank in town has canadian $ but you have to be an account holder there.

I'll check out the place in Cornwall.  But the leading contender is an ATM in Shawinigan.

That's nice to know about the place in Cornwall.  We usual just use credit cards.  You get the correct exchange rate but some cards charge a fee. Their money I think is slippery and hard to keep from sliding out of your pocket. Always afraid of losing it. I spend too much without losing it out of my pocket. Lol

2 hours ago, Munson said:

"I use the ATM to get the best rate"

That never occurred to me.  Has anyone else done that? Thanks

Not a member of AAA.

My bank has to order it and I will be back by the time they get it.  Another bank in town has canadian $ but you have to be an account holder there.

I'll check out the place in Cornwall.  But the leading contender is an ATM in Shawinigan.

All the time.You get the current rate with no fees except for the ATM fee which my bank refunds.ATM's are everywhere.

I always use the ATM, most recently at the ATM in Chateau Roberval.  Took out $400 CAD, it deducted $331.81 USD from my checking account.  That said, I have to call my credit union ahead of each trip so they don't shut off my ATM card assuming it was stolen. 

Edited by SRSchang

Yes.  Just call your bank/credit union and tell them you will be going to Canada from x-day to x-day.  they note it on your card acct. and then use it.  They give you the current rate at the time of withdraw and some charge a little fee and some don't.  either way it is easy and fast.  If you can, use a bank ATM as opposed to like a gas station ATM.  Those sometimes have a very low limit you can take ($100).  And 8 different people with me have used their ATM at the same bank in Shawingan and none have been denied or any issues.

Edited by Triggerhappy

I use that bridge all the time. Your best option for exchanging money is to do it at the Canadian Duty Free store after you go through customs. You are allowed to drive into the Inspection parking area and go to the store. You can't buy anything or enter their regular parking lot either but you are allowed to exchange money. I do it all the time. The exchange rate Sunday was 1.26 Canadian for 1.00 US. Don't use the US duty free store, their rate is not anywhere near as good.

I did notice the exchange rate for when I used my credit card the last couple of weeks on the trails was 1.28 which is better but some credit cards charge a "foreign transaction fee" of 3%. Capital One does not charge this fee. Check you card before leaving and make sure to let them know you will be in Canada so they don't freeze your card while investigating unusual activity.  Trails are good but stay north or do the Gaspiese loop. Have fun!

Use atm card with no issues in Quebec banks.  

Tried another method over the last few years, my credit union charges a 1% fee on foreign transactions,  with a rebate of up to 1% depending on my yearly purchases up to the day card is used.   Rate is close to the day rate and I get purchase protection from the bank.  Also carry some cash for those places that are cash only....

I only change about $100, I use a capital one credit card they give you the exact exchange rate at time of purchase and don’t charge an international fee. 

Yes the US Duty Free at the TI Bridge exchanges money, and 8 AM is not a problem.  You're better off with some of the other suggestions to get a better rate. You can catch a bank in Brockville, but if you're at the TI Bridge at 8 AM you may need to sit in the bank parking lot for a bit and wait for them to open. ATM is not something I have tried, so thank you to others on here for sharing that.