La Cabanon vs La Glaciere

Signfan

Both are popular.  La Glacier save 25 minutes in the truck, bigger parking, on the main road, a bit more basic rooms.  Cabanon more time in the truck, possible a bit more secure parking, in the park so generally closer where you want to be for most trails and slightly better rooms and can handle more guests.  Both places are busy on a good week-end.

La Glaciere gets my vote, Lionel the owner tends the bar and waits the tables, his wife is a chef, the food there in my opinion is hands down far superior to cabanon. Parking for trucks in a snow bank enclosed area that gets blocked in by a vehicle at night, sled enclosure that also gets blocked in at night, new security cameras in the sled enclosure, as with Cabanon, gas on site.

Mark

Yes, both places are good but unfortunately have way too many weekend riders who do the circle game where they drive a tank of gas away then return each night, consequently the trails there a very close to done in the spring and every weekend even going by there you face a ton of traffic and a lot of worn out bumpy trails, and do not forget about all the weekend bar hoppers that think they are related to Emerson Fitapaldi and forgot about the right hand side of the trail, 30 years has taught me how much better adventure awaits anyone willing to go find it all over Quebec.

5 hours ago, snowdogs said:

La Glaciere gets my vote, Lionel the owner tends the bar and waits the tables, his wife is a chef, the food there in my opinion is hands down far superior to cabanon. Parking for trucks in a snow bank enclosed area that gets blocked in by a vehicle at night, sled enclosure that also gets blocked in at night, new security cameras in the sled enclosure, as with Cabanon, gas on site.

Mark

^^^X2.  La Glaciere gets my vote much more personable. Lionel and his wife are great host’s. 

A nice discussion.  We have been to the three mentioned establishments.  All three are good places.  I also do agree with QuebecBob that the surrounding trails do get a high volume of traffic especially on weekends which can turn a groomer's night of hard work into the stutter bump circuit.

A staging area to go off saddlebagging for week, good choice.  Day tripping on a weekend, maybe there are better choices to experience the fine Quebec trails.

Jack & Sandi

How are the trails in the area holding right now?   Looking at going mid week so not overly concerned with traffic provided they still have snow.  We rode out of Saint Michel Des Saints in January and found things to be good.   Little rough coming in at night, but I've seen far worse elsewhere.

Edited by Signfan

On 3/8/2018 at 4:44 PM, quebec bob said:

...much better adventure awaits anyone willing to go find it all over Quebec.

Couldn't agree more. Well put.

In that area we've had amazing stays here:  www.auberge-lanaudiere.com/en/

Auberge du Vieux Moulin

220, chemin du Vieux Moulin Ste-Émélie-de-l’Énergie, Québec J0k 2K0,

(450) 884-0211

I prefer Le Cabanon all day over La Glacier. Cabanon has a pool and hot tub, 6 groomers running out of that location and the drivers know what they are doing. Real Masse is nice too no WiFi in the rooms and cellular is iffy and only in the upstairs rooms. Tough to plan trips or check grooming from there. Love the people though.

63 from Cabanon to St. Michel dirtier than I like. We turned around yesterday and went home.

With just the boys we like La Glaciere but 2 thumbs up to Vieux Moulin, super place ! That's where I took the wife this year for 4 days for her first ever Quebec trip (yes, you heard me right, I took the wife). She fell in love with Quebec and the Vieux, the massage I booked for her helped also.