Day trips out of the Delta

yorkxf9000

For the past 3 years a buddy and myself have been going to RDL and riding. 1st year we did day trips out of the universal, 2nd year we did the gaspee loop, this year we did day trips again from the universal. We both love this area but we’ve decided we’d like to try a different area of Quebec. I’m always reading different posts on QR site but I don’t post very often. I guess that makes me a troll. lol! We think we’d like to try this area and do day trips. I keep seeing people mentioning the Delta hotel and was wondering if this would be a good place to ride out of? Does the trail go right from the hotel like the universal?If I read correctly there’s secured parking for sleds and truck and trailers. Appreciate any and all the advice I receive. Thanks!

The Delta is a great place to stage and run day trips from. You could easily go 4 days and drive different areas each time. Saguenay Bill is the master of trip planning out of the Delta, he could certainly direct you to some nice loops or maybe you could tag along with him on his excursions. 

Was at the Delta all last week.   Met Bill on Saturday 3/3 and he was heading home after 2 months.  Decent conditions, but, getting in/out of town and for gas was a major pain. The ice trail over the river was not safe to cross, So had to take the bridges in Shipshaw, man they were rough. The Bras Louie trail off 93 near the ski slope was the best of the week.

1 hour ago, fredsleds said:

Was at the Delta all last week.   Met Bill on Saturday 3/3 and he was heading home after 2 months.  Decent conditions, but, getting in/out of town and for gas was a major pain. The ice trail over the river was not safe to cross, So had to take the bridges in Shipshaw, man they were rough. The Bras Louie trail off 93 near the ski slope was the best of the week.

We’d be going in the middle of February so maybe we wouldn’t have that problem, we don’t have the wheels on the skis so it definitely would be tough on the Skaggs! Other than that how’d you find it?

Nice rides out of the Delta are to KM31 in Mt Valin, Centre Plein air in Mt Vilain (notice different areas with similiar sounding names)  the food here is great and the owner Annik is a real gem, also easy ride south to the Ravage for a super lunch, West to Chambord is good too.  We did 900 miles in 5 days with no issues except getting in/out of the Delta when heading north.

Hi York,

We ride both areas frequently and both are equal in quality.  You've been to RDL so I won't tell you about there.

The Saguenay area has a half a dozen lookouts around Mont Valin that are worth going to.  Mont Valin East is a place that is very busy on weekends and preferably a better ride during the week.  Mont Valin West, next door, is much quieter and just as good for trails.  150 - 250 miles a day is in the range of most riders.  Get out your map and day trips would include, 83 to Clermont, 23 to L'Etape, 93 to Mont Valin and La Chappelle, 83 and 93 for a tour du lac St Jean, 367 to Mont Vilain and many more.  You won't get bored.

Mid February is usually very good and you will always find riders from the States there.  The workers at the Delta are bi-lingual just like the Universal.  Gas station, SAQ, grocery store, drug store, Mike's, Subway, Tim Horton's are all within walking distance.

First time truck to Saguenay and ride out of the hotel.  The next year or trip, truck to St Raymond and then saddlebag to Saguenay and day trip and then saddlebag back to St Raymond.  Too many trails and not enough time! :good:

Jack & Sandi

1 hour ago, revct1 said:

Hi York,

We ride both areas frequently and both are equal in quality.  You've been to RDL so I won't tell you about there.

The Saguenay area has a half a dozen lookouts around Mont Valin that are worth going to.  Mont Valin East is a place that is very busy on weekends and preferably a better ride during the week.  Mont Valin West, next door, is much quieter and just as good for trails.  150 - 250 miles a day is in the range of most riders.  Get out your map and day trips would include, 83 to Clermont, 23 to L'Etape, 93 to Mont Valin and La Chappelle, 83 and 93 for a tour du lac St Jean, 367 to Mont Vilain and many more.  You won't get bored.

Mid February is usually very good and you will always find riders from the States there.  The workers at the Delta are bi-lingual just like the Universal.  Gas station, SAQ, grocery store, drug store, Mike's, Subway, Tim Horton's are all within walking distance.

First time truck to Saguenay and ride out of the hotel.  The next year or trip, truck to St Raymond and then saddlebag to Saguenay and day trip and then saddlebag back to St Raymond.  Too many trails and not enough time! :good:

Jack & Sandi

Yes I love reading your posts about your trips there always very informative and interesting I’ve learned so much about snowmobiling in Quebec just from that. Thanks for the information and I definitely will be digging out maps and plan some trips. When in RDL the loops we did were about 200-220 miles so the loops in this area sounds similar. Thanks again for the information! QR is a great site with awesome people willing to give great info to fellow riders!! 

Terry.