Towing Gaspesia week photo ride report March2018

towing

Just back from a week in the Gaspesia area accompanied by our friend Snowcruiser. We left home after dinner by car on Saturday March 3rd and returned home on Saturday the 10th in the late afternoon, a trip of 700 miles by car and 1040 miles by sled. This was our 4th time in Gaspésia, the last one was back 4 years ago

The mild temperatures that we had in the  last weeks are certainly related with the poor trail conditions we encountered on a large part of the trip. I was expecting that with the warm temperatures but it was a notch worse than expected, no offense to you Groomer, the Tq5 in your area was nice!!!  Luckily, our relaxed vacation pace gave us an easy 160 miles/day average which was just enough in these conditions especially for my passenger. Here is the trail path of our trip:

carte_zpsnmgbiyvx.jpg

Our drop spot in Gaspésia was in Mont-Joli at the motel "Mon Joli Motel". We slept there Saturday night before leaving by sled and finally Friday night when we came back before going home the next day. This was our third time at this location mainly for free parking and their recovery service in case of problems: we leave them our car keys and in case of problems they can come pick us up with our rigs at our request. A service we have been fortunate to never use up to date but still provides a significant peace of mind for the trip. In addition the place is nice, beds are comfortable and the food at the restaurant very good.

DSC04415_zps3ke2psua.jpg

We had a very cloudy week but a bit of sun in the first 2 days. I hesitated to make a ride report on this trip, doing it as I usually do would make a too big project for the moment(I have a lot of photos and videos) so I'll go  differently with what marked us more than a detailed story . To begin we headed south via the trail # 5 on good trail conditions (Mont-Joli is the place where the  trail#5 come back on itself as the road #132 that goes around the Gaspésia do ).

DSC04430_zpsxnfmawqv.jpg

I had left a message to Groomer.  Being in his backyard and having never met in person, the opportunity was too good to not going shake the hand of the best photographer in Gaspésia!  So we went having our lunch at the Albertville Clubhouse where he came to meet us. Our lucky star gave us a big bonus having Mr and Mrs Gt riders in persons, Jim and Gemma were there at the same moment. It was so nice to have a great talk with all those passionate peoples. a real great add-on to our trip!

I know JG you are more at ease on the other side of the camera but thank you for having been willing for the group pic with us

DSC04450_zpskvlcvhra.jpg

here outside before leaving

DSC04456_zpsrcrrm23x.jpg

This day we had went to sleep at Pointe à la Croix and the next day we continued on #tq5 to New Richmond. Here the New Brunswick on the other side of the river 

DSC04481_zpsclo81ne5.jpg

Many deers  in that area.

DSC04501_zpsusfgmdzv.jpg

Enough for having to pay more attention. I watched a lot for deer tracks in the woods as in this one  where there was a good flock. We powered the Lumix with the zoom and made some good shots, really beautiful animals

DSC04504_zpsk4bsnglx.jpg

DSC04510_zpstioqcjo4.jpg

We then rode north on the #595 to La Cache where we spent the night. Probably the most rought trail of our trip that had not seen the Dozer for a very long time. During a break to our surprise we saw a mosquito on the venture cab! if the mosquitoes come out at this time here I won't imagine what is it in summer!

DSC04551_zpsjd90fqv4.jpg

The next day, leaving La Cache we saw the only moose of the trip ... I would have liked to see one in better shape but it is what we got! It left just his coat that had been moved by wild animals during the night.

DSC04570_zps34dqiez6.jpg

DSC04571_zpsnone5ujg.jpg

We then headed for the Chic-Chocs trail toward Murdochville. During our climb we were impressed by these snow blades on the trail side

DSC04577_zpsvmtkn5fb.jpg

A little further, while we were stopped on the trail side to take pictures of the rear view, another "virtual friend" recognized us and came to meet us. It was a pleasure to meet you in person "Je me souviens"

DSC04585_zps9trtjbda.jpg

While we were talking with him, a little fox appeared in the back scenery

DSC04588_zpsvuvhxixz.jpg

Kristine got the Lumix out and made a series of good shots of this little curious

DSC04589_zpsqbzfpp9i.jpg

DSC04590_zpsoa40iqmc.jpg

When I parked my sled on the side of the Cooper infront a window in Murdochville. A knocking on the glass make us realize our friends Coyote and Jocelyn with whom we did our Chibougamau annual trip 6 years ago were just inside at their table for lunch!!! Another great surprized meeting that put some shine on our trip!

After our lunch, we went down the #597 toward south. I stopped for a short break around sixty miles from Murdoch at the spot where the dozer turn around(club change) because I remembered having seen gray jays the last time we went there 4 years ago. Well there were some still there and not fearful at all.

DSC04595_zpse8th3ztk.jpg

they came to get their treat in our hands and stayed there a long time pecking and watching us

DSC04600_zpsxevnr3le.jpg

We went to sleep at Grande-Riviere and continued to Perce the next day. Seeing the famous Rock is a must in Gaspésie

DSC04695_zpsvr34365a.jpg

DSC004700_zpsufgozvxw.jpg

After Perce we wanted to keep going north but the TQ5 was closed because of a river so we should had to turn back and retrace our steps to take the #597, a pretty  big detour. Because we have hard heads, we decided to go to see by ourselves. It was not ideal but very feasible to cross especially north as we did. There was about 6 "of water on the right side.

DSC04765_zpsf5xek1mf.jpg

Here seen from the other side toward south direction, it would have been more difficult because the skis could go under the ice and the approach was steeper

DSC04771_zpsvhl9vii7.jpg

We continued toward the north side and went to sleep in Grande-Vallée. There was an annoying high frequency ripple  4 to 6 inches deep on a very large portion of this last segment, we had the feel of riding on a railway.. after several hours it get really tiring.

The next day we continued west. Those who already did gaspesia know it: most of the mountainous spectacular scenery is from Mont-Louis to Ste-Anne des Monts and in between Mont-St-Pierre is an icon in this area. The point of view of the hang-glider platform is a classic but I put here some others points of view of this same spot that we like alot

DSC04854_zpsv9sxoytp.jpg

DSC04856_zpsddb2gm62.jpg

And on west side 

DSC04860_zpsibdne3fn.jpg

For fun, from this same place Kristine tried a full zoom with the Lumix of the hang gliding platform on the other side: impressive!

DSC04862_zpshfaboict.jpg

The trail condition was among the best of the trip in this area up to St-Anne des Monts. I had booked the evening before a cottage in St-Octave de l'Avenir at the Village Grande Nature where we went for the night. Here the view from the auberge on the Chic-shocks mountains with our chalet just down right. The top mountain view was chopped by the cloud line on this pic

DSC04890_zpsjymqr3ki.jpg

A different experience in a cottage, relaxing near the wood stove after a sledding day was magic

DSC04900_zps3b5ljvjt.jpg

I don't know if they followed us or if we attract them but I saw gray jays on the porch on the next morning! I went out with a bit of lunch and yes they let themselves be tempted once again

DSC04905_zpsxymdmawo.jpg

For our last day we went west on #TQ5 and then went down south via #591trail  and finally took #587 to La Rédemptionon pretty good trail conditions to see the Montagne St-Pierre. Although less spectacular than some other times we had seen it, the frost was present and the scenery very whiten

DSC04931_zpss7wzzdws.jpg

DSC04935_zps3ggvxvjt.jpg

We then went back to Mont-Joli, gave a break to the Yammy in the trailer and passed one last night at Mont Joli Motel. We did the car black trail ride home the next day on Saturday.

A  trip of a bit more than 1000 miles that went well, the Venture which have now 14500miles act in an exemplary way and my old ADBoivin skid who took a good beating had pass throught without flinching. We would have like more sun, colder weather and better trail conditions but having the chance to ride during an whole week with my best half and a good friend, enjoying the nature beauties in such great area, meeting old friends and making new: I think I'm really blessed, life is good!

Alain 

Edited by towing

Hi Alain,

Wow some really beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing them with us. Tell the photographer merci beaucoup.

Your reports are always a joy to read.

I know what you mean about the warm weather. I road my trip wearing glove liners but for 1 day.

While its not always possible to have a perfect trip we are glad you came home feeling blessed.:yahoo:

Best Jim & Gemma

Nice report and pics. like usual , too bad about bumpy trails but i hope u enjoyed the week off with your partners.  I was off to  mt. laurier and further north for 3 days last week and the  trails were groomed  smooth as u could ask for , good snow but not much sunshine.. u can't have everything..

On 12/03/2018 at 8:37 PM, GT Rider said:

Hi Alain,

Wow some really beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing them with us. Tell the photographer merci beaucoup.

Your reports are always a joy to read.

I know what you mean about the warm weather. I road my trip wearing glove liners but for 1 day.

While its not always possible to have a perfect trip we are glad you came home feeling blessed.:yahoo:

Best Jim & Gemma

Thank you Jim! again, it was a real pleasure to meet you and Gemma at the clubhouse, you are very kind pair of sympatics, solid experienced sledders. I admire how strong you are at riding just the 2 of you in some remote area that I would be scared to go alone, and you succeed once again this last time on the north shore. All this with real time ride report: I raise my helmeth to you two very high  and hope to have some other chances to meet you on the trails in the future. 

By the way...we had to get gaz in La Cache when we were there and had really wanted to follow your recommendation so when we had push at the fuel tank we asked for premium: they replied: our premium is empty, we just have regular!!! oups.... We had no choice and top with the regular and fortunately had no problem after... but I will make a fuel filter replacement this summer as a preventive care, I had not touch that since i have the sled and I figure it can be the accumulation over the time that would lead to a completely clogged filter. 

Take care!!!

On 12/03/2018 at 9:02 PM, groomer said:

awesome pics alain and kristine !!!

nice ones of the fox and the deer !!!

jean-guy

Thank you groomer!!! coming from a good photograph like you Kristine is even more proud of those catch! 

Again thank you and keep the good work even over the trails than at sharing your beautifuls pics!

On 12/03/2018 at 8:53 PM, P Hardy said:

Great Pictures, I especially like the fox!

Thanks P Hardy! especially for you and groomer...

P1200686_zpsd5oq4nsl.jpg

P1200688_zpssxecthvw.jpg

P1200690_zps7adwhusi.jpg

On 12/03/2018 at 8:57 PM, actionjack said:

Amazing pictures

Thank you actionjack!

On 12/03/2018 at 9:11 PM, Northbound said:

Towing, 

Great pictures, and it sounded like a great trip, even with the trail "texture".

Thank you for sharing and have a good summer

Jeff and Sandy 

Was a real good trip even with rugged trail "texture". Have a good summer too, but... it's too early to talk about summer!!! lets enjoy the spring riding!

On 12/03/2018 at 9:15 PM, Florida Snowman said:

Thanks for sharing Alain & Krikri. Great report & awesome pictures!

We rode the Gaspesie last week also.  Might have passed you guys on the trails!

Warm weather, too many sleds, not enough grooming equals a definite workout eh?

Best,

Tom

Thank you Tom! Were you in Murdochville on Tuesday 6 at noon? 

Yes your equation is right, it's part of our game, but what a nice game!!!

On 12/03/2018 at 9:35 PM, Trailblazer said:

Nice ride and pics Alain, the Gaspe is le creme de la creme.

Thanks Jean-Guy! as for spectacular scenery, very hard to beat for sure!

23 hours ago, smclelan said:

Great ride summary. The zoom on that camera is impressive, the picture of the hang glider buildings from the other side tells the tail. 

Thanks smclelan! the small the Lumix is not an high end camera, it's a "bridge"type with a fixed lens of 25-600mm at F2.8 which mean acceptable zoom for near and very good zoom for 

far and lens  big enough to let enter pretty much light. We had a good "reflex" type camera few year ago but it can get expensive to play in this ball game especially with the lens and after having being unlucky with a lens dropped on a ceramic floor, I had prefered to go with the bridge Lumix that give and all around good package for us. 

22 hours ago, PLAYHARD said:

Wow wow wow!  And you're quite the Jay-whisperer!  Thanks for sharing!

Hahaha, very funny Playhard!!! I had get myself a new nick name lolll

22 hours ago, hparaptor said:

Nice pictures and report.  Thank you for sharing.

my Pleasure Hparaptor!

14 hours ago, William Gaf Gaffney said:

very nice.

Thanks!!

12 hours ago, quebec bob said:

Great trip and pics Alain, only 14500 on the venture, not even half done!!

Thanks Quebec Bob!  I had kept the 2 last Yammies 40000kms/25000miles each which was 5 years for each, we ride a little less we are in our fourth season with this one. The Boivin rear skid have around 55 000kms right now but have been heavily maintenanced and modified. I will do an other season or two with this setup, love the setup I have, it will be very hard to replace because the boivin skid are discontinued and no more sold since many years so I will need to look at something different.

11 hours ago, 4ws XRS said:

Nice pics! Your wife's a trooper, riding buddy wants to take his wife. We just got back last night as wanted to beat the storm at home in Massachusetts.

Thanks 4ws XRS! yes, I'm the lucky guy that have the best one! We realize we are a bit less tought than we were both as we get older... I remember doing 300miles rides on a Polaris XLT600 95 single place with Krikri litterally stick on my back with her legs fold in half and she was still asking for a detour before coming back home!!! now she don't ask for the detour...loll

10 hours ago, revct1 said:

Very, very nice.  This is why we go snowmobiling.  The scenery and the friendship says it all.

Thanks.  It is always a pleasure to read your posts.

Jack & Sandi

Thank you revct1! You bet, and we have to realize how lucky we are to be able enjoy it years after years the way we do...

7 hours ago, grumpysanta said:

Nice report and pics. like usual , too bad about bumpy trails but i hope u enjoyed the week off with your partners.  I was off to  mt. laurier and further north for 3 days last week and the  trails were groomed  smooth as u could ask for , good snow but not much sunshine.. u can't have everything..

Thanks Grumpysanta!  yes we can have everything... but not always!!! loll

take care

Alain

Edited by towing

On 13/03/2018 at 10:55 PM, GT Rider said:

That fox looks so at ease.

Super nice photos. 

Yes  he was confortably  install in the wood border maybe 60' from us, probably hoping for some food...

We had not much to give him, he should had show up 4 hours later I had birds in my hands...lolllllll

On 14/03/2018 at 8:27 AM, Florida Snowman said:

Hi Alain,

Yes we were in Murdochville last Tuesday March 6th at noon!  Took gas & had lunch at Hotel Copper!  Were you eating at Copper also?

Tom

Oh yes we did! It is there that I parked infront the windows and my friend Coyote and Jocelyn were  there at lunching, it was 11:45 We join them in the left section of the dining room(more toward the ski slopes)  When I get out of the mens room after our lunch maybe 12:45 or so I think I saw you ( from what i was remember having seen  you in a picture ) in the right section, I had hesitate to ask but I was really not so sure so I had continue...I now regret!

From there in the afternoon we had went toward Chandler. I don't remember having seen your black Apex on the trail? 

It seems we got really near to meet together in person!

Alain

Edited by towing

21 hours ago, MXZ700RIDER said:

Awesome pictures of the animals. Never saw such animals while riding. 

If I had would be a bit faster I had also show you a bobcat that cross the trail infront us at a good distance. It was in a wood section so when we arrived where he cross the trail he was gone or hidden at least.

I had to admit it's our trip where we seen the most animals on the same ride!