Last ride of the season April 5th - 9th

Carman

We just got back from Gaspe 5 days ago but I already have the itch! I know we are almost a month out but based on the long range forecast I am optimistic that great April riding is going to be possible this year. We are thinking Val d'Or/Amos or maybe Wawa/Dub, looking for weather and grooming info over the next couple of weeks from the locals.

As a worse case scenario we will make the 12 hour drive back to Gaspe or Mont Valin as I am sure they will be good to go.

Thanks,

Carm

• 2 weeks later...

I haven’t seen any groomer activity on ITG, hopefully with colder temps and more snow in the forecast Val d’or and Amos groomers will be out one last time before we ride next weekend! 

Rode out of  Ville Marie Mar24 and got back there on Mar27. Some thin spots but very rideable. Trails were amazing. With the weather forecast there would be no problem out of Val-d-or/Amos area. Any idea when Quebec shuts the groomers down for season?

Edited by tender33

The Federation doesn't fund grooming per se, but does provide a sort of equalization grant in the form of assistance based on number of kilometres groomed vs number of members in any given club (Volet I funding).  This helps clubs with few members but many kilometres of trails keep their heads above water.  In fact, after the 14th of March, the Federation actually starts to support clubs as they groom into what's considered an extended season (it's called the "fond d'aide"), and it's based on a per hour of grooming basis.  There is no end date specified for this specific funding and it's much different from the Ontario model.  Québec clubs have a great deal more autonomy, and that's the way we like it!

8 minutes ago, Carman said:

All the hotels/motels in Val d'Or and Amos are booked because of a hockey tournament this weekend, probably going to book an Air B & B if I can't find anything.

It’s spring just bring a tent and camp trail side...

3 hours ago, Carman said:

All the hotels/motels in Val d'Or and Amos are booked because of a hockey tournament this weekend, probably going to book an Air B & B if I can't find anything.

I called a bunch of places and everything is booked. 

We are heading to Mont Valin instead.