Last Run of 2017\2018

MrGutz

GuyZ and GalZ

The Team just did our final run of the Season

*** South and South West of Shawinigan they are pulling up stakes (Literally), North should still be good.

650 Miles 

1 Working Rear Suspension Spring

300cc ETEC

1 half working secondary clutch

Priceless Memories!!!

So we sometimes don't get to branch out to new areas (for us). This last run we were "lets try going West-Ish".

I called the Drakkar (Have not been back for a couple years and was not sure what to expect) and got us a room for last Friday and Monday Nights.

*** Wow, what a nice rejuvenation of the place. It is not the same Safari Motel with just a coat of paint. Reggie is a great guy too.

Rolled in, parked the trailer unloaded the sleds and started packing. Next thing you know Mario, Christine, Frank, Chuck (Newbie) and his wife ride in. We BS for a while and All go across the street to the Pizza Place for Dinner. More BS'ing ensues..... When all of a sudden, in comes IceMan for a quick Meet and Great! (It was nice to finally meet him, got some stickers too)

Saturday AM we hit the Gas Station and off to 23 West. (Yes, Saturday....) We saw more traffic on Saturday than we saw all season. It was a beautiful day and the miles rolled on, stopped at La Glacier for a late lunch then up to 63 and Rouge Matiwan (Small Outpost). I told the old guy we were going west to LSJ for the night and asked if it was too much farther.... He almost fell over..... We both had a good laugh.

Through the park and down the railtrail towards Mont Laurier. Being that it is Saturday the trail had 30 miles of washboard little bumps.

This is when the partially severed air line to the front/ rear shock failed. Little bumpy but bearable.

Stayed at the Best Western, nice enough and sled security.

Sunday we start off by going up on Devil's Mtn. Great view. On our way back south the left rear spring on the 1200 (2011 with 17000 miles) gave up.

We unloaded all the extra weight to the ETEC and Enduro and with 2 inches rear travel and only 200+ miles to go off we went towards Lac Carling.

Great day, smooth trailz! (Thanks to the Snow Gods!)

Forgot this was Sunday... The small villages roll up the sidewalk at 5 (also time change for DST), including gas stations.....  We landed at the hotel and did the happy dance. Who says 1200s cant get good gas mileage, I beat out the 900 ACE and 600 ETEC!!!!! both took gas from the spare tank.

Lac Carling was a nice place and seemed to have some nice facilities. The Filet was perfect, room was spacious if not a little dated, Breakfast was a buffet and the staff was very accommodating. Went to start the 1200 and no gas. Maintenance brought us a few gallons of gas and off we went.

Monday started with us looking for gas. Route  3 was not really marked and after a couple of loops and back tracking we found gas! 

The trail markings were just not poorly placed we found someone picking up the markers and sticks a couple miles up the trail.

Again another great day!

About a 150 miles out of Shawinigan  the Secondary Clutch on the ETEC would not close all the way, so it started off in 3rd gear.

Trails are SOFT but smooth.

About 100 miles out the ETEC looses a coil or plug. Most likely it is from pulling the high gear.

CRAP.

If we keep above 50 its runs generally well.

We roll back in to the Drakkar under our power and no one is being towed.

I am beat tired,  400 miles on one working suspension spring. All the weight of the 1200 on the skis, like loosing the power steering on a old truck.

A great time was had! Good Night.

Later

GutZ

Nice report. You rolled just a mile from my house when you made your way down to Lac Carling on Sunday. As a matter of fact we were on a day run Saturday from Montcalm (Weir) up the pitit train du Nord on the 63 and bailed onto the 319 at Nomingue to work our way home. Sunday another Day ride down to Pine hill past Carling lake and back up the 317. Another 8-10 inches of new snow last night and today so we should be good for a bit longer.

CNC

Do you know you have no gas in your area? We stopped at the boat dock\launch\general store and it was good and closed.

Beautiful area, loved the lakes, super smooth!, trails were great, the people we spoke to were nice as well. We will be coming back to that area again!

Oh and there is no longer gas in Pine Hill.

LOL

GutZ

1 hour ago, MrGutz said:

CNC

Do you know you have no gas in your area? We stopped at the boat dock\launch\general store and it was good and closed.

Beautiful area, loved the lakes, super smooth!, trails were great, the people we spoke to were nice as well. We will be coming back to that area again!

Oh and there is no longer gas in Pine Hill.

LOL

GutZ

Retracing your trip down from Mont Laurier, there are several gas stations just off the pitit train du Nord railway bed. Depending which way you branched off of that, there are other options. If you took the 319, to meet up with the 323, there is gas in La minerve and again In Vendee. I know most nights Vendee is open most evenings, maybe 8-10 pm depending on the day of the week. If you stayed on the railway bed till it ended and took the 323 at Labelle, there is a big gas station after you cross the river and get through town and just a couple hundred feet from the trail. I would think it is open late. A lot of the small town gas stations are closed up due to the QC government forcing them to put in new tanks etc if the age is unknown and they can’ afford the expense so they close. We no longer have gas locally, lost 2 places last year. The general store you stopped at has gas but if it is closed then no go. Pine hill the gas station is closed but the Hotel Chausseur has a big tank in a shed and sells gas. You passed right by it 10 minutes before Lac Carling. Kind of the local hot spot for food and bar, so usually open late. If you were coming up from Pine hill area via lake macdonald ( 317 ) toward Montcalm ( Weir ) there is gas at Kilmar. 

53 minutes ago, revct1 said:

A nice read guys.  Why shouldn't your last ride of the season have a few mechanical issues?  You wouldn't have a good story without them!

Already thinking about next season.

Jack & Sandi

Without Mechanical Issues I'd bored over the summer. At least that is what my brothers tell me!

Nice areas we went through, our only complaint if we had to Nit-Pick  were all the road crossings. 

How was the Gaspe area? I am not caught up an all the reading of posts.

GutZ

Ha, you must of passed us somewhere. I remember a group of 3 I think coming the other way on 63. One lagging behind a little ??  Can’t remember. We where ripping through there. We came across 63 from Rabaska to LeCabanon. Picked up the petit du nord at Mt Laurier. Passed the poker run crowd that where parked at the cafeteria. They must have came in a different way cause 33 south from there was flat as a board.  Stopped in at LaGlacier around 2:30 or something. Back to lecabanon by 4:30. Was supposed to be our last ride but now we think we are gonna try a weekender

Edited by SkippyDoo

4 hours ago, revct1 said:

I've been scanning thru a little.  I haven't looked at Gaspe lately.  Mike has been posting on Bas St Laurent.  Take a look there.

Jack & Sandi

I thought you guys were going out on the Gaspe last week.

GutZ

2 hours ago, SkippyDoo said:

Ha, you must of passed us somewhere. I remember a group of 3 I think coming the other way on 63. One lagging behind a little ??  Can’t remember. We where ripping through there. We came across 63 from Rabaska to LeCabanon. Picked up the petit du nord at Mt Laurier. Passed the poker run crowd that where parked at the cafeteria. They must have came in a different way cause 33 south from there was flat as a board.  Stopped in at LaGlacier around 2:30 or something. Back to lecabanon by 4:30. Was supposed to be our last ride but now we think we are gonna try a weekender

Small world! Any chance you found a Skidoo Cargo Bag Cover near the Glacier?

If it was us you'd notice our lights!

Later

GutZ

18 hours ago, actionjack said:

No gas at hotel du chasseur? 10 min ride max from hotel Lac Carling  

Should be gas in La Chute. Although that’s pretty far south. 

The Chausseur may have gas, but did not pass it on the way to Lac Carling. 

The Hotel gave us a couple gallons and we made our way to La Chute, I think. it was off of route 3, a truck stop.

Signage was poor and tracks were disappearing, late season....

GPS also died on day 1. Imotoneige drained phone too fast and we had to stop to use it each time.

GutZ

1 hour ago, MrGutz said:

The Chausseur may have gas, but did not pass it on the way to Lac Carling. 

The Hotel gave us a couple gallons and we made our way to La Chute, I think. it was off of route 3, a truck stop.

Signage was poor and tracks were disappearing, late season....

GPS also died on day 1. Imotoneige drained phone too fast and we had to stop to use it each time.

GutZ

Well I am not sure how you got to Carling or left there then especially if you were at the general store / marina in 16 Island lake on the way there. The most direct trail from that direction would have passed right through the edge of the hotel chausser parking lot. Maybe you came into 16 Island on the 43 and then down 16 Island lake then back tracked up to lake Macdonald and ran down that lake. You would have remembered that way, it has a long very steep hill up off the lake beside a stone bluff. It was icy and a tough climb on Sunday. Signage is poor down in that area I agree.

317 and the local trail is a loop so I could see how you might not have passed Chasseur if you went west.  When we were there this year the west side was advised as closed at entrance to Lac MacDonald so we took the east side through Lac-Laurel both times passing Chasseur.  Carole (I think) is a nice lady.  Not obvious they have gas when the "shed" is closed.  The year before we rode to west side on the way out and the east on the way back.  Cant say I remember that hill but it is more than a year ago now.  

If you are starting at Lac Carling you can stop in La Chute for permits at Nadon Yamaha and gas on the way in or you can drive more directly to Pine Hill and stop at Chasseur which is very close to Hotel Lac Carling.  If you come in at night towards or during the weekend Hotel du Chasseur is hopping.  

On another note - The Delay map is VERY green this morning for 16 March!

12 minutes ago, actionjack said:

317 and the local trail is a loop so I could see how you might not have passed Chasseur if you went west.  When we were there this year the west side was advised as closed at entrance to Lac MacDonald so we took the east side through Lac-Laurel both times passing Chasseur.  Carole (I think) is a nice lady.  Not obvious they have gas when the "shed" is closed.  The year before we rode to west side on the way out and the east on the way back.  Cant say I remember that hill but it is more than a year ago now.  

If you are starting at Lac Carling you can stop in La Chute for permits at Nadon Yamaha and gas on the way in or you can drive more directly to Pine Hill and stop at Chasseur which is very close to Hotel Lac Carling.  If you come in at night towards or during the weekend Hotel du Chasseur is hopping.  

Going up that hill off the lake I think you would remember it unless you are running studs, coming down maybe not so much although it is still a toboggan ride to the bottom. We have had two good snow storms almost back to back and it is now cold, so we expect perfect mid winter conditions this weekend. Been a strange winter.

14 hours ago, MrGutz said:

I thought you guys were going out on the Gaspe last week.

GutZ

No we haven't been out to Gaspe in a few years.  Sandi doesn't like the heights on the north shore and the avalanche zone.  :unknw:

I would like to take another trip out there and ride the interior.  We have pretty much stayed on 5 the perimeter trail when we have been there.

Jack & Sandi

2 hours ago, revct1 said:

No we haven't been out to Gaspe in a few years.  Sandi doesn't like the heights on the north shore and the avalanche zone.  :unknw:

I would like to take another trip out there and ride the interior.  We have pretty much stayed on 5 the perimeter trail when we have been there.

Jack & Sandi

Were did you go at the beginning of March?

GutZ 

3 hours ago, actionjack said:

3 hours ago, Cnc said:

Going up that hill off the lake I think you would remember it unless you are running studs, coming down maybe not so much although it is still a toboggan ride to the bottom. We have had two good snow storms almost back to back and it is now cold, so we expect perfect mid winter conditions this weekend. Been a strange winter.

We remember the Hill, No Hair started running out of gas 1/2 way up. Beautiful Lake!

There was a sign at the top-ish I believe, it showed LAC Carling to the right and left, we went right. 

The chasseur was on the way out, but it seemed closed up and we felt we could make it to the next gas place. Each sled took 39+ liters at the gas station.

GutZ

1 hour ago, MrGutz said:

Were did you go at the beginning of March?

GutZ 

We went to RDL March 2nd to the 6th.  Busy out there.  We saw Mike plus many others.  A lot of people heading to Gaspe but not us.  Conditions were soft near the river but 10 miles out and the trails were fine.

Jack & Sandi