Joliette/Macaza/St-Zénon photo ride report 17march2018

towing

It looks like winter was not over! I did not think with the mild temperatures of the last weeks being still able to leave directly from home but this last week's snowfall combined with cold temperatures  allowed the groomers to work and give us wonderful trail conditions for the weekend.

After having looked at the map for a long time, we finally decided to go for an ambitious ride that we had not done for a few years: starting from home to  l'Annonciation in Laurentides area round trip via trail #63. Here is the final ride path that Krikri and I traveled last Saturday which totaled 321 miles

carte_zpsd9eduryz.jpg

Starting from home a little past 8:15 Saturday morning, -11C under a clear sky with very few clouds. The #43 was freshly groomed near home, very nice in full winter condition. A few miles from the start, an undeniable spring sign: trail partially broken over a small ditch that the dozer has filled again to allow the passage. It turned out to be the only place like that on the whole ride

DSC04954_zpsrdkqlbzt.jpg

The Joliette snowmobile club trails were also freshly groomed like the majority of the trails we did in the day

DSC04959_zpsfw5r0kya.jpg

Here towards St-Jean de Matha village

DSC04987_zpsxi5flmtn.jpg

The Black river north of the village is still in winter conditions, no spring sign there

DSC04994_zpsertlies6.jpg

A beautiful sunny day

DSC04996_zpsqfoutpe2.jpg

Just past the Pourvoirie Bazinet there were some good snow blades near the lake. We can see that the snowfall has been more generous here in the north than in the south of the area at home

DSC05014_zpslv24tyuy.jpg

DSC05017_zps1l6qu7iz.jpg

A little further north we fork to the west on the #343 and then on a local trail

DSC05024_zpsog0p0uwz.jpg

DSC05028_zps1bqkqqbd.jpg

To take the #33 trail north

DSC05032_zpsvdpmdzqu.jpg

The small river that flows to right of the trail on the first miles gives several beautiful views 

DSC05039_zpstpwxg4gd.jpg

We continue on  the #33 and arrived at the relay Rouge-Mattawin around 11:20, we took there a short break. During the fuel-up, the gentleman there confirmed to me that they would continue to operate 7 days a week as long as there was grooming that he planned to be until just after Easter, around April 3 if conditions allow.

DSC05054_zpsopmwzsnr.jpg

We then take #63 trail to cross the Rouge-Mattawin Wildlife reserve. It was already a couple of years since we had not done it but what a nice wide trail to ride!

DSC05061_zps3exlnhk8.jpg

DSC05073_zpshirfs1jw.jpg

A little ripple in the curves on the first half but nothing to stop us from cruising in the reserve at high speed. This trail that is running along the limit of Mont-Tremblant Park is really similar to the trails that used to be found in the park: Wide, good visibility and fast

DSC05064_zpsjpaacniw.jpg

DSC05067cop_zps8ixkanrd.jpg

Here a beautiful river in winter dress that I took better with the Gopro on the return. 

DSC05080_zpsnjyv0osj.jpg

We arrived at La Macaza on the other side of the reserve around 1:00 PM and stopped at the restaurant/ bar at the airport. A first time there for us: good fast service and good food, we left around 1:50.

DSC05090_zpsytbm0oeb.jpg

I felt it was a bit more chilly up north, -15C at noon there! The trail was so nice and flat that it had formed a big ice horn in the back pad going down near scraping the trail when we were sit on...Maybe my venture is a male?... or a unicorn? ok the corn is not on the right spot for a unicorn

DSC05091_zps6h7yxktj.jpg

We then continued on #63. Here just behind the restaurant

DSC05092_zpsrerhk6lx.jpg

And continued up to l'Annonciation where we refueled

DSC05099_zpshxf4hcok.jpg

DSC05100_zpsdkolujul.jpg

We then turned back and retrace our steps on the #63 trail. Really not a punishment !!! Here another view of the beautiful little river seen earlier

DSC05103_zpsbov0nylu.jpg

We crossed again the Rouge-Mattawin Wildlife Reserve and then took the #33 trail but toward St-Michel des Saints.

DSC05116_zpsfz3olqik.jpg

The trail was still in very good condition

DSC05119_zpsto49emxy.jpg

We fuel-up up at St-Michel and took the trail towards Cabanon

DSC05124_zpsqk2xhfsd.jpg

Here on the bridge at the foot of Mont-Trinité monutain just behind the village

DSC05127_zps3orhgnuz.jpg

We stopped there, up the first hill where we used to have a nive view of St-Michel village years ago but now that the vegetation had grown up it is no longer a view point

DSC05131_zpsllcbc81v.jpg

The #63 was a bit bumby but very nice  for a Saturday end of the day, not to mention the event at Cabanon: Cabanon spring party

DSC05135_zps681g64ft.jpg

DSC05137_zpsv3iynw71.jpg

It was already 5:20 pm when we arrivied and the outdoor activities of the Cabanon party were pretty well done but still a lot of people and the corral ahead was full of snowmobiles.

DSC05140_zpsmjdn1dii.jpg

Having a good run back home to do, we took the #23 trail heading south. We briefly had a freshly groomed trail but quickly pass the Dozer who had just left the Cabanon

DSC05145_zpstl3rexdu.jpg

DSC05146_zpszehxckxx.jpg

The trail was still a bit rought but rideable at good speed north of the #350 trail

DSC05148_zps1xm0q2bm.jpg

South of the #350 however it was really rought up to club transition a little north of pourvoirie St-Damien. It was then very acceptable and in the fields down the mountains the conditions were good and fast. We even crossed the dozer of St-Gabriel who started his run

DSC05154_zpskndeqzxp.jpg

The trails were all beautiful afterwards and we rested when finishing the ride. On the  #3 down south in the St-Cuthbert sector, we saw a couple dirts spots otherwise the fields were  beautiful and fast. We came back home a little past 8:00 PM with 321 miles on the dreammeter.

In summary, except for the few spring signs mentioned in the extreme south, we were in full winter conditions on the whole ride. We have a winter surge that has put the season back on track for some more time. According to long-term forecasts, cold temperatures will still going on and the nights will be quite cold so I expect to have at least another nice sledding weekend to come for near the whole area and more in the north of the area. It was not sounding like that when it started to get warm more than a month ago, maybe we're going to touch the April month this year for riding in our areas!

For those who preview  to ride here, keep an eye on the conditions there: https://www.snowmobilecountry.ca/en/conditions/

Alain

Awesome ride, trip report & pictures Alain & Krikri!  Krikri is a real trooper with 321 miles riding in the back seat!!!  You go girl!

So nice to be able to leave from home without trailering eh?

Old Man Winter is still blowing!  Get it while you can!

ps:   That was me in the outside area from the men’s bathroom at Hotel Copper 2 weeks ago!  Too bad we didn’t know it!  Still waiting to meet you both!  

Best,

Tom

22 hours ago, Florida Snowman said:

Awesome ride, trip report & pictures Alain & Krikri!  Krikri is a real trooper with 321 miles riding in the back seat!!!  You go girl!

So nice to be able to leave from home without trailering eh?

Old Man Winter is still blowing!  Get it while you can!

ps:   That was me in the outside area from the men’s bathroom at Hotel Copper 2 weeks ago!  Too bad we didn’t know it!  Still waiting to meet you both!  

Best,

Tom

Thank you Tom!  Yes, I think I would search for a long time to find an other maniac that would do this kind of ride... I keep her!!!

Yes to bad for the Cooper, not always easy to recognize each other on the trail. The next time I will follow my first idea and will call " Hé Tom!!!" if the guy turn around, it's the good guy!!!

21 hours ago, Fozzy said:

I am so happy to see that the trails are looking so good. I have the Ottawa Home Show to contend with this week, then be heading there for the end of March! 

Like writen it look really better than a week ago, end of march for St-Zenon area would be no problemo for snow imo but be just prepared depending where you want to go there are some pouvoiries that will be open just for gaz like the Kanawata and probably the Repos...

Alain