Speed Limit 70 kmh (42 mph)

revct1

4 hours ago, Phil 1 said:

43 MPH is like watching paint dry just shoot me. I would rather knit.

Phil, how did you know?  That is what I do for work so I can go snowmobiling.  I paint parking lots and have to wait until the paint is dry before I open up the lot to traffic.

Jack & Sandi

Agree first and foremost with staying right.  Snow is almost always better there. With 850 cc 2 strokes and 205 HP stock 4 strokes, 70 kph is barely getting the motor warmed up.  On a wide open lake or trail (think the Bras Louie at Mt Valin) where you can see (NOT if snowing etc) it seems that nearly everyone is speeding.  Thank God with 20K miles in Quebec, the police have a lot to cover.  LOL.  Agreed It'll likely never change though.

Probably the most interesting or telling comment on this thread is, especially after it snows, the trail is almost always single track, RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE OF THE TRAIL!! It usually takes a half day for it to widen out, and yes , the smooth stuff is always on the right. Be safe, do not ride over your head, and respect on coming traffic, and respect sleds that you are passing, meaning don't trade side panel paint with them or leave them in blinding snow dust.If we observe these simple courtesies I think things are pretty good out on the trail. When you see cops in town, I wonder how many residents have called them because some one is riding thru too fast, go easy in town when fueling and eating, give way to pedestrians, it will go a long way, we are all representing our sport!!

4 hours ago, timbo said:

Or imagine that scarf blowing up in front of your faceshield, just when you are at the apex in a tight corner (and running a little "hot").

Timbo

Or imagine that scarf blowing up and preventing the the on coming rider from properly identifying you!🤨

Little thing that happened to one of my boys this past weekend. I'm sure this has happened to others. Just south of Relay 22 very cold morning.  Going around a right turn and all hell broke lose. Now being as cold as it was we were not going fast . As the trail was rock hard i think his new carbide runner caught a ski track from the night or day before and draged him across the trail straight in to a small but solid pine tree. When I got there 30 seconds later he was dragging himself out of the woods. Insurance adjuster coming tomorrow.  What I am getting at is, we discussed that the trail was hard and old tracks were making steering a little hawkish. He wasn't going fast and he said he was around the corner and it just shot to the left and braking didn't help. He has rode thousands of miles and said he never experienced anything like that.  Only thing else was his dealer sold him new carbides and suggested a 8 inch runner instead of the 4 or 6 inch that he was use to. As everyone can relate to things happen so quick in our great sport. Main thing is he was not hurt and we got back to the truck safe and sound. 

So I guess his experience has opened my eyes on just how thing on the trail can happen so quickly. Be safe all.

13 minutes ago, Shore1066 said:

Little thing that happened to one of my boys this past weekend. I'm sure this has happened to others. Just south of Relay 22 very cold morning.  Going around a right turn and all hell broke lose. Now being as cold as it was we were not going fast . As the trail was rock hard i think his new carbide runner caught a ski track from the night or day before and draged him across the trail straight in to a small but solid pine tree. When I got there 30 seconds later he was dragging himself out of the woods. Insurance adjuster coming tomorrow.  What I am getting at is, we discussed that the trail was hard and old tracks were making steering a little hawkish. He wasn't going fast and he said he was around the corner and it just shot to the left and braking didn't help. He has rode thousands of miles and said he never experienced anything like that.  Only thing else was his dealer sold him new carbides and suggested a 8 inch runner instead of the 4 or 6 inch that he was use to. As everyone can relate to things happen so quick in our great sport. Main thing is he was not hurt and we got back to the truck safe and sound. 

So I guess his experience has opened my eyes on just how thing on the trail can happen so quickly. Be safe all.

Yes conditions change dramatically so I am assuming the speed limits are on the conservative side taking that into account.  3-4 weeks ago I punched it coming out of a down hill corner,  been over that trail hundreds of times and twice that week. I saw a rock poking out of the snow at the last minute and decided I would rather hit it with my ski than my track. Nothing new here so far but it turns out the rock must have been dislodged by the last groomer pass and not stuck or frozen in the base. It rolled up out of its hole, sent me across the trail and flipped the sled on it’s side. The friggin rock was round and the size of a basket ball. We cleared the rock off the trail and rode to a safer stopping place to inspect the damage. Nothing not a scratch except to my ego. That was cured later by several evening beverages.

30 minutes ago, Shore1066 said:

No question 8 inches of runner is a lot of bite, especially when you are use to 4 inches, and it really steers fast like a Ferrari on white concrete, and 73 just south of relay 22 is very narrow and very twisty, I can clearly see how this happened, the perfect storm, at the wrong place, when the trail was hard and the sled was really biting in, probably a very big surprise to him how well it was hooked up and how hard it was to steer, all at once, hopefully no one is hurt and a great learning experience.Just a tough way to learn about carbide, I can see it all happening, a reasonably warm spell and then his first ride on 8 inches on a very technical trail with hard pack. Keep smiling, you can fix the sled!!

Just now, quebec bob said:

No question 8 inches of runner is a lot of bite, especially when you are use to 4 inches, and it really steers fast like a Ferrari on white concrete, and 73 just south of relay 22 is very narrow and very twisty, I can clearly see how this happened, the perfect storm, at the wrong place, when the trail was hard and the sled was really biting in, probably a very big surprise to him how well it was hooked up and how hard it was to steer, all at once, hopefully no one is hurt and a great learning experience.Just a tough way to learn about carbide, I can see it all happening, a reasonably warm spell and then his first ride on 8 inches on a very technical trail with hard pack. Keep smiling, you can fix the sled!!

100% what Bob said. 8” is a lot of carbide runner. Glad he is ok.

4 hours ago, Shore1066 said:

Main thing is he was not hurt and we got back to the truck safe and sound.

Here here! Glad to hear!

The 8" sure does sound like much.

Sound like you know, more isn't necessarily better. 

How about trying a toe out of 1/4" each side?

Ski not tracking with crispy conditions and combination carbide set up is a great heads up . Everyday is  new day with different riding conditions as we all know. Just passing on a past couple experiences I have had when over night  high winds tend to topple pine trees in trail.  I keep that in the back of my mind once I get out there first thing in the morning and start running indy on twisty trails. Ride safe and have a good one all..

1 hour ago, No Hair said:

I think this topic is very important and maybe harsh penalties are needed. If $$ dosnt change things maybe suspended trail passes will. I mean who wears a scarf.

Or a cape.... Or wants a large animal fur shawl and helmet cover....hmmmmm

GutZ

3 hours ago, MrGutz said:

Or a cape.... Or wants a large animal fur shawl and helmet cover....hmmmmm

GutZ

Capes are essential after unloading your sled for your ceremonial Braaaap around the parking lot, very common in upstate NY. Generally worn by parking lot superstars with loud pipes before Braaaping off down the trail!

3 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

Capes are essential after unloading your sled for your ceremonial Braaaap around the parking lot, very common in upstate NY. Generally worn by parking lot superstars with loud pipes before Braaaping off down the trail!

Please dont encourage them!!!

Now they'll say "other people do it"!

GutZ