Speed Limit 70 kmh (42 mph)

revct1

I just read MikeRider's post regarding radar on trail 85 on the rail bed.  It made me start thinking about the Provincial speed limit of 70 kmh (42 mph).

I understand the Police want to keep everyone safe.  I'm all for safety too but radar on the rail bed?  In town, busy areas where there are a number of road crossings, where there may be pedestrians that also use the trail, high traffic areas, etc.  These are places that an accident has the potential of hurting someone else.  I'm in favor of keeping the speed down in areas like this.

The way sleds have improved over the years as far as handling, starting and stopping is far superior to what we rode 20 or 30 years ago.  The way trails have been opened up so visibility is better, the signage is better and grooming is fantastic brings into question the practicality of an overall Provincial speed limit of 70 kmh.  Maybe the Provincial speed limit of 70 kmh should be revisited and reassessed.  Trails that are on rail beds, rivers, lakes and the such are much safer than the trails that are barely wide enough to allow two sleds to pass each other twisting thru the trees and yet many of these twisty trails aren't posted with a lower speed limit so their limit is the same as a rail bed.

The speed limit was determined many years ago when the Provincial trail system was in its infancy and had an entirely different look to it.  In yesteryear, the trails were narrow and twisty.  When you did have a straight away, it would be so bumpy you still couldn't go very fast.  The old sled suspensions also limited your speed because they didn't have the travel or sophistication that the new sleds have.  Back then, 60 mph was flying.  You were holding on so you wouldn't lose control.  Now a days, 60 mph on these super trails is just cruising along and not hardly feeling a bump.  Imagine what it would be like in your truck on the interstate with a speed limit of 45 mph because that is what the speed limit was on the secondary roads before the interstate system.

What do you think?  Please post if you would like.

Just our 2¢.

Jack & Sandi

70kph is 43.5 mph. Yeah not so fast but since half the people that come at me even on a railway bed are closer to the center line with their inside ski there really not that much room for error when you are closing at each other at 87mph. I agree it seems slow and obviously do more that 70kph in straight always but back off when I see a sled approaching or back off in the tight blind corners, and there are lots of trails like that around here. Approximately 1/3 of the on coming sleds I meet on those tight blind corners are in the middle of the trail or seriously on my side. I simply do not trust the other guy anymore. They highways in QC are 100kph and everyone does 120kph or better, if you increase the speed limit say 20 Kph on the trails, people will just exceed the posted limit by the same amount that they do now. The  police tolerate about 10kph over the limit on the highways when you pass their radar, maybe that should be their policy on trails, but it seems they mostly post the SQ officers with big ego’s to the trails.

Hi Jack,

In Ontario the speed limit is 50 KPH or 30 MPH. Very seldom have I seen or heard of radar on Ontario trails except near Bancroft there is a rail bed and often police will set up there and ticket unfortunate riders.

In February we rode for 5 days in northern New Brunswick. My understanding there is no posted speed limit for snowmobile trails in the province. The message was use common sense which really is the only practical system for the diversity in trails, topography, conditions etc that exist on the trail system. Was a benefit in New Brunswick because there is a lot of fast riding there.

I feel staying on the right side of the trail is much more of a safety issue than speed. One of the reason enjoy Quebec so much is it seems to have a older more mature group of riders than you will find on Ontario trails during the weekend.

Steve

Never gonna happen, (higher limits). Be thankful they don’t look to lower it. More likely this will happen in the future. Will end up like Ontario at 50km everywhere. 

As for riding the middle. Unfortunately most do it. Even guys who think they are riding on the right are not. I know I do. Look at the scratches on my new sled, all on the right side. If you ride right your sled is scratched up and your helmet too, only on the right side. If not it’s just a matter of time before you will meet someone else who rides like you do(the middle) and you will do more than scratch your sled. Hey, this will never change. I can only control what I do.

Like CNC said. I have never trusted the other guy. That’s how you get hurt or killed. 

My 2cents. 

Edited by iceman

Not sure what the ticket is for speeding in Qc, is it based on how much you are over, similar to getting a ticket in your car?

In Ontario it is a flat rate, $120.00 I think. So if you see the radar gun in Ontario, you might as well give it shit and see what you clock in at. lol

I was skiing in Mont Tremblant last week, was reading the paper regarding ticketed infractions for snowmobiling. Was surprised to see wearing a scarf while sledding carries a fine of $150.00. There was no mention for a speeding infraction.

7 minutes ago, Fozzy said:

Not sure what the ticket is for speeding in Qc, is it based on how much you are over, similar to getting a ticket in your car?

Yes. And it’s alot more than $120 for sure. Plus any demerit points you get on a sled for tickets go on your driver liscenses here if you have a Quebec driver liscense.

I agree that staying right is more important than the speed.  If the opposing sleds are on their respective side of the trail, they won't crash where if both sleds are in the middle, speed isn't a factor.  They are going to hit each other.

50 kph in Ontario, ugh!  Thankfully it isn't enforced much.

Really, a fine for wearing a scarf?

Jack & Sandi

I got a speeding ticket last winter on the rail line not far from Trailblazers chalet. I know there was police ahead but thought they were at the junction so was still doing 94kph. just under $300, my buddy who was behind me was some how going faster and his was mid $3's

I personally think the limit is just right.  Even in the north where the logging roads open up to 16’ - 20’ wide 70 km is moving whenmeeting incoming sleds.  Yes I’ll squeeze it to 100 km or more on the straight stretches where I can get away with it, but at my own risk of getting ticketed.  I totally agree on the riding to the right points.  I regularly find untracked areas up the right side of the trail.   Lots of people say they ride right, but the evidence in the tracks they leave proves otherwise.  I definitely find myself riding more defensive as I get older always thinking about who’s coming at me from the other direction.  I also like seeing the 30 km/h zones marked.  Much better than Ontario with the flat 50 km/h limits.  When I see a 30 km/h zone I slow down for it knowing there is a reason it’s posted that way.  Other comment I’d make is I bet there is a lack of interest in the volunteers to want to re-sign the trail system with new speed limits.  I also bet the groomer operators figure having sleds coming at them at 70 km/h is plenty fast enough.

I HAVE BEEN HIT  , head on by a group of 3 , going like crazy no studs on icy trails around cabanon in st zenon , and i only had 40 km on my new sled . when the came around the corner on my side , not even the middle , first two missed me but not the third and i had even driven off the trail to avoid the yahoos ,  and  please keep both hands on the bars , i don't care how many are behind you ,  USE common SENSE

6 hours ago, Fuse6 said:

In February we rode for 5 days in northern New Brunswick. My understanding there is no The message was use common sense which really is the only practical system for the diversity in trails, topography, conditions.

Steve

And right there is the problem, common sense is not so common anymore. Hence the need for a law against wearing a scarf on a snowmobile! 

17 minutes ago, grumpysanta said:

I HAVE BEEN HIT  , head on by a group of 3 , going like crazy no studs on icy trails around cabanon in st zenon , and i only had 40 km on my new sled . when the came around the corner on my side , not even the middle , first two missed me but not the third and i had even driven off the trail to avoid the yahoos ,  and  please keep both hands on the bars , i don't care how many are behind you ,  USE common SENSE

Well that sucks big time Grumpy!

7 hours ago, iceman said:

Yes. And it’s alot more than $120 for sure. Plus any demerit points you get on a sled for tickets go on your driver liscenses here if you have a Quebec driver liscense.

I was stopped by a police car using a radar gun on the trail north to Matagami. Was doing around 120 km per hour. The fine was $ 265.00 no Points. He was heading south on the road from Matagami and we were heading north. Didn’t charge the second sled who was right behind me. Ontario drivers license. Just an FYI. 

18 hours ago, iceman said:

Never gonna happen, (higher limits). Be thankful they don’t look to lower it. More likely this will happen in the future. Will end up like Ontario at 50km everywhere. 

As for riding the middle. Unfortunately most do it. Even guys who think they are riding on the right are not. I know I do. Look at the scratches on my new sled, all on the right side. If you ride right your sled is scratched up and your helmet too, only on the right side. If not it’s just a matter of time before you will meet someone else who rides like you do(the middle) and you will do more than scratch your sled. Hey, this will never change. I can only control what I do.

Like CNC said. I have never trusted the other guy. That’s how you get hurt or killed. 

My 2cents. 

Never could understand why so many ride the middle, especially after snow. Laziness is part of it I assume. I ride the side because its always smoother among other things.

19 hours ago, revct1 said:

I agree that staying right is more important than the speed.  If the opposing sleds are on their respective side of the trail, they won't crash where if both sleds are in the middle, speed isn't a factor.  They are going to hit each other.

50 kph in Ontario, ugh!  Thankfully it isn't enforced much.

Really, a fine for wearing a scarf?

Jack & Sandi

Imagine the scarf dangling and getting caught in the track.....

GutZ

Or imagine that scarf blowing up in front of your faceshield, just when you are at the apex in a tight corner (and running a little "hot").

Timbo