Sled vs Groomer.

iceman

From a grooming facebook page

“Grooming is a 24hr operation and a knoll hid this Bully. Rider was only going 25mph and couldn't stop in time. Operator reacted with blade up. Rider was ok. Manicougan Queebec”

not sure of the 25mph speed but I was not there. Thinking the damage will buff right out.

You never know whats around the next turn or over that next hill. 

B890B113-C3D7-4C13-A426-F881218CAC82.thumb.jpeg.f0f408a618968600ac4a0081307ad56e.jpegF6EAA0FF-279A-470A-97CB-F801766BB69D.thumb.jpeg.b8656eeae5f43ef2ee74ebf5653ff9f9.jpeg

Edited by iceman

12 hours ago, PLAYHARD said:

Bully. Yikes. 

How many blind corners & hills do we throw ourselves into & over?

#ExitStrategy

It’s amazing it is such a rare occurrence. Glad rider was  well.

3 minutes ago, mikerider said:

I  am surprised groomers aren't regulated to certain hours like 4 PM to 7 AM to prevent these accidents. I see so many groomers out during the day hours on hilly, curvy trails. 

mike

Mike, grooming after dark is the smart thing to do, it gives the trails more time to set up and freeze so the stay hard longer, plus the safety factor seen above. Many provincial organizations and clubs have tried to put this in place but there ends up being push back from volunteer operators. 

4 hours ago, smclelan said:

Many provincial organizations and clubs have tried to put this in place but there ends up being push back from volunteer operators

Who has Volunteer Operators in Quebec? Which Clubs? Far as I know they are all paying jobs with the Clubs, not like in the states where yes, most are all volunteer operators. 

18 minutes ago, iceman said:

Who has Volunteer Operators in Quebec? Which Clubs? Far as I know they are all paying jobs with the Clubs, not like in the states where yes, most are all volunteer operators. 

Correct. We are not in the 70's, 80's or 90's anymore even though  the fcmq still seems to be sometimes. Finding operators is  one thing. Finding some who wants to groom on a saturday night even if they are getting paid is another thing. Who said running a snowmobile club is easy.

Was not saying anything about it being easy Mid Range. I understand completely. Seems to me you if take a job as a groomer operator you must understand the game. It’s a 24/7 operation,  if I were to refuse to work cause it’s Saturday night I’d be replaced and looking for another job. But if the search for operators has come down to being that difficult that they can set their own hours and hold the clubs hostage per say. We are doomed for sure. Volunteers saying no to Saturday night is one thing if you are paid to Groom and refuse to work because it’s inconvenient, that’s unacceptable. Sorry. 

I agree Don. A few years back I came down a trail in western Quebec and the trail was so bad it tore my saddle bags apart. I happened to meet and know the club president so I called him and bitched. The next day he personal rode the trail. The outfitter where we parked I called to apologize to because I bitched to him too told me the club president was upset as well. He also told me that a contractor was hired for that length of the trail and he was replaced. I personally should not of bitched but.

I met that same groomer at 11 am on Wednesday March 7th.  I know they post signs clearly noting the 24 hr grooming operations, however it is ridiculous to groom that particular section during the day.  The hills between Baie Comeau and Godbout are dangerous.  That specific run is less than 60 miles long.  It should be criminal to run it with a groomer during the day.  The day I met him I was lucky to be on the bottom between two hills, when I looked up and saw him crest the hill in front of me I thought of how lucky I was to not be any closer. The worst part about it was the trail was in immaculate condition and was not in need of any grooming. The driver is padding his wallet with club funds at the risk of our lives. After seeing the sticker on top of the windshield of the groomer now I have confirmed that he is an idiot.  I understand the difficulties that maintaining a trail system involves, but come on...use your head before you kill someone.