Gaspe- Season Ender

Jackstraw

Day1

Arrived at RDL Friday evening. Saddled up sat morning and the plan was Cap Chat for the night. Ran into skidoo 420 in the morning. Tq5 pretty much the whole way. Freshly groomed  sweet pretty much the whole way. At lunch called ahead hotel nanook in cap chat closed till Monday. Ok st Ann fed monts all booked. Ended up at grand nature. No WiFi working or tv in the room. Great views but that’s about it. Not impressed. Food ok.246 Miles 

D2A335F9-942E-4849-A523-47BD0FC68028.jpeg

Day2

Today was one of those days you remember! Blue skies, warm temps and the most scenic part of the gaspe! TQ 5 to Gaspe for the night at motel Adams. Tq5 was absolutely stellar the whole way. Passed only a handful of sleds all day. Wow is the only word for the day. Picked up a guy walking down the trail who got his sled stuck off trail. Doubled him to where he was. Didn’t speak an once of English. Got to where his sled was which was down at the bottom of a hill in the bush. We couldn’t continue down. There’s 4ft if snow. What the hell was he thinking on a Yamaha off trail by himself. We got him out but not after sweating our asses off helping. Let’s jyst say he was a happy camper! Wheels on the skis would be a huge asset for fuel and hotels! 236 miles 

D2BD590F-891A-441D-8C60-23E561ED0244.jpeg

Looks familiar. Great ride! Enjoy guys. Wheels are a must this time of year. I went without until this season. I said “I don’t need no wheels.” Its true you don’t, but makes life so much better. 

1 hour ago, iceman said:

Looks familiar. Great ride! Enjoy guys. Wheels are a must this time of year. I went without until this season. I said “I don’t need no wheels.” Its true you don’t, but makes life so much better. 

I’ve never burned so much pavement. When you where in st Ann des monts did they have fuel there? We rode down probably half mile of bare pavement for fuel. Had 70 miles on the tank already and sign said next fuel 70 miles no choice. That was st Ann des monts on the western orange trail

12 hours ago, iceman said:

Fuel right across from 2 hotels and an SAQ. Need to go further. You were almost there. Long way down. Need wheels for these late season rides no doubt. 

The eastern orange trail into town:

5ab902298cdd6_EasternOrangeintoTown.png.cf0ea427cafab0559ebe0fdd74a0d5ca.png

Wheels down!  "Drive" thru 1.6 miles of residential streets:

5ab9024b58bc7_WheelsDown!.thumb.png.ffa58dfb452ae537f6252949e3ec4a84.png

Well worth the effort!...

5ab90256d2043_Worththeride.png.7abc15a83969e8079f91a8d67d76fe8c.png

14 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

I’ve never burned so much pavement. When you where in st Ann des monts did they have fuel there? We rode down probably half mile of bare pavement for fuel. Had 70 miles on the tank already and sign said next fuel 70 miles no choice. That was st Ann des monts on the western orange trail

I drove down that one the end of February, it was brutal, I turned around and went to the one by the two motels.  They should not mark it for gas in the winter when they plow it bare like that. At least the one boing into the motels you can run on sidewalks and some yards with a little snow. I sure miss the gas station at LA Martre (where the red lighthouse is) that carried you though in both directions. 

2 minutes ago, smclelan said:

I drove down that one the end of February, it was brutal, I turned around and went to the one by the two motels.  They should not mark it for gas in the winter when they plow it bare like that. At least the one boing into the motels you can run on sidewalks and some yards with a little snow. I sure miss the gas station at LA Martre (where the red lighthouse is) that carried you though in both directions. 

And the lighthouse made for some fantastic photos.

Day3

One of those days that make you wonder is it worth it? Eric’s sled had some overheating issues yesterday so the plan was to head to chandler and check it out. First bad move not topping off the tank which had 30 miles on it already. Overheats 5 miles out of gaspe. Pissing out antifreeze. Refill and onward. Tq5 towards perce didn’t realize the trail is closed ended up at rt 132 and saw a local . Told us ride the edge of 132 for a mile and you’ll pick up the trail. Yea right. Ended up by a town with huge snowbanks and bare pavement. The tracks we followed apparently turned around also. Now what? Head back the way we came, found the old tq5 which was on my gps, a goat path. Turn around head back now getting low on fuel. We new perce  had no fuel, but neither did the other one on the map. Made it back to gaspe with 135 miles on the tank with 6 liters to spare. Time for lunch at chez Ron then back to the orange trail to the 597 to chandler. Of course we get to the 597 signs are buried and continued to the right. I’m thinking this looks like the 597 to murdochville! Yep, you gotta be kidding me! U bop down to chandler. 597 was worn out already. Not like Icemans luck . Tq5 was in great shape. Super warm out, never thought I would say it’s too friggin warm to ride. Sled is at the dealer and will look at it in the morning. Evertime it overheated it gushed out antifreeze. Don’t think it’s something simple. Still racked up 199 miles for the day. We shall see tomorrow his sled will flip 20,000 miles this trip all ridden like a raped Ape! LOL!

Damn, sorry to hear. It’s always interesting. You never know what each day will bring. Hope they get things sorted out for his sled. Hang in there boys. The end is near. 

No antifreeze in the oil. Can’t open the cap for at least. 10 minutes. Which means there is still a lot of pressure in it which I would think is not a hose or clamp. Nothing leaking until it overheats then a gusher

Edited by Jackstraw

Thermostats might be stuck.

Day4

New day, new attitude! Eric’s sled has a crack in the factory weld on the heat exchanger which was puddied a few years ago in amqui. Doesn’t leak visibly until it overheats then gushes out. Changed the snow flap that was cut to throw more snow in the tunnel. So far so good. Still loosing coolant but not overheating. Picked up the sled at 11:00 was planing on stopping at club house in chandler for lunch. Sign on door back at 1. Not waiting an hour. Snacks on the trail. Tq5 to 597 to murdochville for fuel. Little rough but not terrible. Fueled up onto orange trail to la cache. One of my favorite trails in QC. Didn’t disappoint absolutely stellar! Blue skies awesome views and I think 6 sleds all day. Staying at la cache tonight, upstairs living room and own bedroom. Actually pretty nice! Thank god we picked up beer and rum since they don’t have there liquor license yet. 160 miles leaving at noon.

4BB46BC4-3415-4468-AC8E-2FB82191F004.jpeg

Edited by Jackstraw