Gaspe- Season Ender

Jackstraw

Remind me never to stay at a hotel with a hockey tournament there. WTF! The third floor was complete kaos! There must have been 20 kids running up and down the hallway. Wacking balls with hockey sticks. I think every luggage cart was in the hallway. Parents drinking and shouting  in the hallway. This went on till almost 11pm security was a grey haired lady, I think the kids bound and gagged her. I was ready to grab a luggage cart in my undies and start mowing people down like a plow! WTF!

I find it is best to search for the the dealer with the best bottom line here in US. I strive to have any service or warranty work done in Canada. The dealer I chose is 1 1/2 hours away. The Freeride I just spring checked $3K less than MSRP. 

I just saved 2500 on a 2018 backcountry in December with a phone call to a dealer 1.5 hours away, no haggle first offer, plus a state with no sales tax, I only ride in Canada so no reason to register a sled in Mass where I never ride. Shop around, you will be shocked at what a dealer away from your home will sell a sled for, I have been doing this for years, especially dealers in the states where snow is getting thin and sled sales are down from years gone by.

2 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

Remind me never to stay at a hotel with a hockey tournament there. WTF! The third floor was complete kaos! There must have been 20 kids running up and down the hallway. Wacking balls with hockey sticks. I think every luggage cart was in the hallway. Parents drinking and shouting  in the hallway. This went on till almost 11pm security was a grey haired lady, I think the kids bound and gagged her. I was ready to grab a luggage cart in my undies and start mowing people down like a plow! WTF!

I find it is best to send Rhockin Fla Snowman out to the hall to negotiate wellness for all. 

10 minutes ago, PLAYHARD said:

I find it is best to send Rhockin Fla Snowman out to the hall to negotiate wellness for all. 

Hahahaha!   Funny but true dat!

Safe ride home on the black trail today Jim & Eric!!   Stay awake after that lousy sleep last night!

6 hours ago, quebec bob said:

I just saved 2500 on a 2018 backcountry in December with a phone call to a dealer 1.5 hours away, no haggle first offer, plus a state with no sales tax, I only ride in Canada so no reason to register a sled in Mass where I never ride. Shop around, you will be shocked at what a dealer away from your home will sell a sled for, I have been doing this for years, especially dealers in the states where snow is getting thin and sled sales are down from years gone by.

Bob, how do you get away without registering in your home state (and thus no plate or registration) ?

thought i read that in Quebec a FCMQ pass alone is not enough and that the machine needs to be registered/tagged to somewhere  as well

8 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

Feel for ya Jack....been there done that myself before...on the other hand....look at the bright side....your lucky you even got a motel room if there was a hockey tournament in town....been there done that as well too....LOL

2 hours ago, snowmaster2112 said:

Bob, how do you get away without registering in your home state (and thus no plate or registration) ?

thought i read that in Quebec a FCMQ pass alone is not enough and that the machine needs to be registered/tagged to somewhere  as well

I have been doing this for over 20 years, been checked a dozen times in that time period. What is important is that you must be able to prove you own the sled. Initially I would have an expired registration from mass with me, then as years passed and I stopped riding in the states I carry a photo copy of my certificate of origin, my bill of sale, my warranty letter from ski-doo, my warranty card as well as my passport and drivers license, never have a problem.A couple of friends own dealerships and they often take a fleet of demos off the floor and go to Canada riding for a week, this is fairly common, and they never register them in the states. There is no law at home telling me I cannot buy a sled from a dealer in New Hampshire or that I must register it if i do not operate it off my private property, the registration is a must if I want to use it on public property, like a car you collect and store, no law to register it unless you drive it on the road , no excise is collected as long as that vehicle is unregistered. The registry collects tax and registration fees at the time of registration here in mass, same with sleds.When you buy a trail pass in Quebec it includes insurance for people from outside the province, I carry a personal umbrella policy as well just for personal liability, most business people do in the states.I was actually checked a month ago by FCMQ on the trail around Baie Comeau, they wanted to know why I had no plate, told them I was from USA and no plates in Mass., showed them my paper work and passport, other than suggesting that my trail pass could be a little more visible, they shook my hand and wished me a good day.If you are passing over a border between countries always be able to prove who you are and that you own the vehicles, very easy to check with ski-doo to see that i do own the sled, nice thing about riding in Canada. Also, no one has ever questioned me when buying a trail pass as well, they usually check you inn with a credit card and asked for a drivers license, that is how I have been doing it, I am hiding nothing and have nothing to hide, no one has ever questioned this, at the border, police and FCMQ, Also ridden New Brunswick and Maine this way.

I just went on the official FCMQ web site to read the rules about riding a sled in Quebec and no where does it mention that you have to be registered any where else, also looked at their snowmobile regulations, he is what I did find, if you buy a trail pass on-line one line asks for your plate number, as an in province owner of a snowmobile that you are using in Quebec you have to register as well as buy a trail pass, just like if I want to ride in Mass. I have to register to ride in Mass. and then have to buy a trail pass. But as I pointed out earlier, I do not ride in Mass. so I do not register there, since I do not register there I cannot buy a trail pass, just like if you live in Quebec you have to register your sled if you want to use it in Quebec, then you also buy a trail pass. If you want to hunt in Mass. and you live in New York, you have to buy a hunting license, but you do not have to register your gun in Mass. You only have to register your gun here if you live here, no registration required if you are out of state...now that i have written that about the hunting -gun situation and read it ti myself...seems crazy, but that is how the law works in Mass.Tonight i will look on my trail pass paper work to see if anything is stated there, like i said, I have always been totally up front with everyone, if something is wrong maybe they should not of sold me passes all these years.

Third time is the charm, nothing shows up in FCMQ, how ever if you look in Quebec Automobile regulations, why would anyone look there....it says no Quebec registration is necessary for snow machine under 450kg...if it is registered somewhere else in the USA...maybe they should re-arrange this so it is on the FCMQ page...and why is it apparently not    enforced....why would Quebec even care if you rode else where in the states....if you have a drivers license, a passport and you own the vehicle and you have a valid trail pass and you are operating an off road vehicle, why would anything else be necessary, just a question??

1 hour ago, quebec bob said:

...it says no Quebec registration is necessary for snow machine under 450kg...if it is registered somewhere else in the USA...

You been lucky....go buy lottery tickets, cause the day an officer is having a bad day, you will get a ticket for no registration. Telling him you been doing it 20yrs....not sure that will work out, but hey do what you want. Or if someone ever hits you and your sled is unregistered, that will not be good. But like I said none of my business. Carry on. 

Sorry Jackstraw for aiding in this hi jack.

on a side note, whenever there’s hockey at the Hotels makes for some great party opportunities, very friendly hockey parents usually. I’ve been in many a hockey hotel room party. Great fun. 

Edited by iceman

1 hour ago, Je me souviens said:

Sorry about that Jack.  I am guilty of aiding and abetting...lol.  great gaspe trip 

1 hour ago, iceman said:

You been lucky....go buy lottery tickets, cause the day an officer is having a bad day, you will get a ticket for no registration. Telling him you been doing it 20yrs....not sure that will work out, but hey do what you want. Or if someone ever hits you and your sled is unregistered, that will not be good. But like I said none of my business. Carry on. 

Sorry Jackstraw for aiding in this hi jack.

on a side note, whenever there’s hockey at the Hotels makes for some great party opportunities, very friendly hockey parents usually. I’ve been in many a hockey hotel room party. Great fun. 

Haha, I was only joking about the hi jack. I’m sure your right about the hotel parties but unless you speak French I think your shut out. And after 6 days of riding and a 10 hour ride in the morning, wasn’t in a party mood. Especially getting up at 5:30am.  Actually thought it was pretty funny at first. 2 hours later not so much 

41 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

Haha, I was only joking about the hi jack. I’m sure your right about the hotel parties but unless you speak French I think your shut out. And after 6 days of riding and a 10 hour ride in the morning, wasn’t in a party mood. Especially getting up at 5:30am.  Actually thought it was pretty funny at first. 2 hours later not so much 

Big 10-4 on that. I hear ya.

12 hours ago, quebec bob said:

Third time is the charm, nothing shows up in FCMQ, how ever if you look in Quebec Automobile regulations, why would anyone look there....it says no Quebec registration is necessary for snow machine under 450kg...if it is registered somewhere else in the USA...maybe they should re-arrange this so it is on the FCMQ page...and why is it apparently not    enforced....why would Quebec even care if you rode else where in the states....if you have a drivers license, a passport and you own the vehicle and you have a valid trail pass and you are operating an off road vehicle, why would anything else be necessary, just a question??

We got stopped years ago, I had a NJ registration, now NJ does not give you a a plate or sticker, nothing but the registration card. The officer said I need to have numbers on the the sleds matching the registrations, I explained that in NJ it's ok to just have the registration card on you. He let me go (after running the  vin's and our info for 45 min)  but advised to get numbers on the sleds.  If it is a trail officer checking permits it will not be such an issue but if it is the Police ( as in our case)  the vehicle has to be registered and have plates/sticker w/ numbers otherwise we are operating a unregistered vehicle which is illegal (his words).  This year I got stopped again and the police officer motioned to me with both hands together looking like a rectangle and I understood he was looking for the plate (he does not know where we are from so he is looking for the Quebec plate) , I pointed to the PA registration/plate at the bottom of the tunnel and he gave me the thumbs up and checked everyone else's!     

31 minutes ago, mcstar said:

If it is a trail officer checking permits it will not be such an issue but if it is the Police ( as in our case)  the vehicle has to be registered and have plates/sticker w/ numbers otherwise we are operating a unregistered vehicle which is illegal (his words). 

Exactly right, Club trail patrol and SQ police are much different. Club Trail patrols really only look for Trail Pass. Police on the other hand look for REGISTRATION, mirrors, loud exhaust and signs of impaired operators. As well as doing speed enforcement. 

On 3/30/2018 at 8:54 AM, quebec bob said:

I only ride in Canada so no reason to register a sled in Mass where I never ride

You probably already know this, but you have to have a "registration" as well as a "Trail Pass" to ride in quebec. The Quebec trail pass is not a registration.

Just now, NHTOM said:

You probably already know this, but you have to have a "registration" as well as a "Trail Pass" to ride in quebec. The Quebec trail pass is not a registration.

My apologies. Looks like you guys already covered this.   Thats what I get for sleeping in....Wheres that 2nd cup of coffee??:unknw: