Another gas stop loss

Cnc

The general store / depanneur at Lac des 16 isles along with it’s gas pump is closed as of yesterday. Not sure of the exact reason but the owner tried hard to keep it open. it appears permanent. 

3E352B66-6F56-4D21-81C9-88036AF85C6F.png

Fortunately these new sleds are much more fuel efficient than the older machines.

We were riding the north of Mont Laurier area this weekend. In the past Nottawassi was usually a lunch and fuel stop. Luckily from QR I knew it was closed this year and we planned accordingly.

This year I switched from a Yamaha Viper to a 850 Ski Doo so did get the gas caddy to carry fuel. In my case I need to carry fuel on the Doo to give us some cushion for the Arctic Cat 5000 I have for my sons to ride. It would burn about 25% more gas than my 850. But my son had to be flailing on it pretty hard as he did well to keep up with us on the bigger machines.

Rode 4600 km this season and never used the spare gas once but it sure was a comfort on several occasions that someone in the group had a fuel light flashing but it wasn't a big deal because we had fuel with us. 

Disappointed BRP didn't come out with a split Gas/Oil caddy. Don't need to carry 4 gallons of gas. A 2.5 gas, 1 of oil would be perfect. 

Obvious the BRP bean counters figured they will profit more making us buy the new oil caddy. 

Edited by Fuse6

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2018 at 2:33 PM, Cnc said:

The general store / depanneur at Lac des 16 isles along with it’s gas pump is closed as of yesterday. Not sure of the exact reason but the owner tried hard to keep it open. it appears permanent. 

3E352B66-6F56-4D21-81C9-88036AF85C6F.png

Is that the one at the boat launch\general store on the way to Lac Carling?

Thanks

GutZ

2 hours ago, MrGutz said:

Is that the one at the boat launch\general store on the way to Lac Carling?

Thanks

GutZ

Yes if the way you went was staying on the 43 till it turned into the 317. As per this map. After the marina / general store, you would have gone about 4 miles down the lake and then another couple of smaller lakes right after. No wonder you almost ran out of gas! There are two other choices that would have saved approx an hour’s ride.

20916065-F654-4798-8F56-7D978CE71906.png

2 hours ago, MrGutz said:

I think it was, the lake was beautiful. We were at the top of a hill after the lake and it said lac carling both ways, we went right on 317.

Thanks

GutZ

Next time try this route, doesn’t matter if you get off the pitit train du Nord onto the 319 at Nomingue or 323 at Labelle. Follow the route I highlighted. 1 being Hotel Lac Carling. It is overall a nicer trail both the ride and the scenery as well as being at least an hr shorted than the way you went.

3A6C589F-1C64-4C73-9149-E99A1331EBF7.png

Edited by Cnc

Oh yes the pitit train du Nord, that was an Odd Interchange. The trail seemed to just end at the station and then the signage in the lot next to the station was limited. we went the wrong way for a few miles and when we turned around that's when we saw the signs for the correct way to go.

All turned out good.

GutZ

My wife and I popped in for a look-see and a drink on a road trip last spring.The employees were very accommodating, and also very proud of their newly re-opened facility.  They showed us around, and we were tremendously impressed. Still, we haven't managed a sled trip to the spot .... hopefully next winter ...

8 hours ago, PLAYHARD said:

This advertiser looks like a swanky place. Anybody stay there?

I have started 2 trips from here since Iceman posted about this place. Beautiful buildings, great service, good food, indoor pool, underground parking garage, just about the shortest drive possible for us to get to good riding.  Planning to go play golf there this summer. The place is empty in winter so the service has been very good both times. Rooms are large and the price is quite reasonable to me. Most important truck still there when we returned. This year there was a lot of snow in this area. If they actually connect 317 St Faustin to Tremblant will make an even better place to start. 

BEE0EF18-7E87-4FA9-80C2-BC2E02B6C563.jpeg

5534A487-B930-4122-ABF8-BD3A2424B620.jpeg

Edited by actionjack

11 hours ago, MrGutz said:

Oh yes the pitit train du Nord, that was an Odd Interchange. The trail seemed to just end at the station and then the signage in the lot next to the station was limited. we went the wrong way for a few miles and when we turned around that's when we saw the signs for the correct way to go.

All turned out good.

GutZ

Yes that railway bed runs from St Agathe all the way to Mt Laurier. It was a quick way to get north or south on a snowmobile. When a group of citizens took the government, snowmobile club, and town to court over noise etc, they won and the railway bed got shut down between Labelle where you got off and St Faustin ( 17 km south of Mt Tremblant. Screwed sledding in the area big time. Tremblant is basically a dead end because of that and another trail closure. The new bypass will reconnect Tremblant with St Faustin where the railway bed is still open to st Agathe. I believe there is hope that after that a way to connect Tremblant with Labelle will be found. Labelle is a snowmobile friendly town IMO with two parking lots for truck and trailers. When they rebuilt the bridge a few years back they widened the side walk for a better passage for sleds and a newer less complicated passage through town. They used to have orange cones on a couple of sidewalks and keep them snow covered to get through town and we had to cross a main road in town at a set of lights. All that to say I think Labelle would be delighted with a direct connection to Tremblant and further south.

6 hours ago, PLAYHARD said:

This advertiser looks like a swanky place. Anybody stay there?

We just did on our last run!

We pulled up at 8pm, sleds died due to no gas in the parking lot, went in and had a nice steak, nice rooms (little dated looking in the room), Great Staff.

Planning to go back next season!

Later

GutZ

1 hour ago, Cnc said:

Yes that railway bed runs from St Agathe all the way to Mt Laurier. It was a quick way to get north or south on a snowmobile. When a group of citizens took the government, snowmobile club, and town to court over noise etc, they won and the railway bed got shut down between Labelle where you got off and St Faustin ( 17 km south of Mt Tremblant. Screwed sledding in the area big time. Tremblant is basically a dead end because of that and another trail closure. The new bypass will reconnect Tremblant with St Faustin where the railway bed is still open to st Agathe. I believe there is hope that after that a way to connect Tremblant with Labelle will be found. Labelle is a snowmobile friendly town IMO with two parking lots for truck and trailers. When they rebuilt the bridge a few years back they widened the side walk for a better passage for sleds and a newer less complicated passage through town. They used to have orange cones on a couple of sidewalks and keep them snow covered to get through town and we had to cross a main road in town at a set of lights. All that to say I think Labelle would be delighted with a direct connection to Tremblant and further south.

Several years ago we had a heck of a time scratching back and forth through Labelle trying to find the other end of the trail. 

1 hour ago, iceman said:

Lac Carling, nice for sure. Heated Garage like Fairmont but is free. C5E5FC2D-2D8C-4973-B94A-07F48C2501EB.jpeg.ed987b98b09725601e01bc2caa09d512.jpeg67992F8F-2D31-4670-A826-11097119D9CB.jpeg.f41d009dcd080e09db22de73c8fed5d6.jpegD1672B3D-76B1-49BC-87DA-C438393083E2.jpeg.c70a6b7a58712e2aa632a717fb3734e9.jpegA34AFDC7-C21D-4DFB-9579-0C023FFE4E65.jpeg.df1a540aaf24a2234a35f74ff12e77ab.jpegBEA9C0CA-5180-411C-9C19-F48D14FC3D74.jpeg.252c14f5b4874e62ba873bafcc44630f.jpeg62928EC7-A9C4-4C12-B70A-E921DDBC820A.jpeg.c8b03332105879aa454f2d239a0e1d67.jpegF5CE29A0-6B6A-4572-9034-665D5EE949B5.jpeg.15ebc5cf9193c64d162cb9b39d1ae21c.jpeg2C6AE0B1-7CD9-4302-B89C-6EFF0D97CC10.jpeg.bfc83d7e3a500403a9ac95a1befd631f.jpeg

Yeah but do they have an iceman sticker on the front door?😀

5 minutes ago, Cnc said:

Yeah but do they have an iceman sticker on the front door?😀

Not on the front door, I do not believe but, one was installed there. If it’s still there, I can not say.