Joliette/Taureau reservoir loop/Mastigouche reserve 24-25march2018

towing

We've been invited this weekend by the girlfriend of one of our sons to spend a night at their family cottage on the shores of Taureau Lake in St-Michel des Saints. A great opportunity for us to do the reservoir loop in relax mode on 2 days. Here is the final trail path of 303 miles traveled  during the weekend.

CARTEjpg_zpspqmbyjjx.jpg

Saturday morning, -9C under a clear sky and a beautiful sun when we left home in St-Thomas de Joliette . Finally it was not a so good idea to start from home, we were knowing that the 5 first miles were in Berthier snowmobile club that had closed during the week but still having the signage so we went for it. We got ice, ruts, and a plowed section but once in Joliette's snowmobile club, it was just groomed during the night and the fields trails were impeccable

DSC05156_zpshiop1xmy.jpg

We took the trail through St-Félix de Valois. The residential section was bare, no more snow but once crossed it was ok. Here in a maple grove tapped with buckets that we don't see often anymore

DSC05178_zpsmscto5dg.jpg

Every trails in the fields were still in very good condition, here on the old railway in St-Cléophas. All in all, we can say that the good reliable conditions began north of St-Gabriel de Brandon, souther than there, conditions were too uneven

DSC05195_zpswsdtoph5.jpg

So once in the mountains north of St-Damien the conditions were still winter, very good

DSC05229_zpsdkcnstbn.jpg

The pourvoirie Réal Massé being closed, the Mandeville snowmobile club had groomed a shortcut of 1 mile which avoided us to go through there and saved us about 5 winding miles so very nice. In the 90 curve  with the wooden mirador, we then passed straight.

DSC05237_zps2q82qvwh.jpg

DSC05242_zpsc9e08uto.jpg

We then continued the #23 to the Cabanon. No spring's signs there

DSC05253_zpsghsmesdx.jpg

DSC05261_zpsqlhp9tyy.jpg

We stopped early to refuel and eat at Cabanon and then went right toward the Taureau Dam

DSC05280_zpsjgs7qvns.jpg

conditions were impeccable in the best of the season

DSC05288_zpsqrclxn3a.jpg

DSC05295_zpswdy33dlp.jpg

We took a good break at the dam, chatted with people who were there and took some pictures of the place

DSC05296_zps4o7pfxns.jpg

DSC05298_zpseqnpb0bq.jpg

By taking our time a bit too much we were starting to be a little tight for being on time for the appointement with our son near the Auberge du lac Taureau so I opened up the throttle which was easy enough with these perfect conditions

DSC05330_zps36eoiz92.jpg

DSC05332_zpsixcttuav.jpg

several wide and fast trails sections in this area

DSC05345_zps3ezo7eqw.jpg

DSC05348_zps4iu76y8c.jpg

A little before arriving at the Auberge, the trail passes right on the shore beach and you can see how low the water is, a good 50 feet lower than the summer level

DSC05354_zpspfl7ule6.jpg

We finally joined our son and his girlfriend at the agreed time. We went on the emptied lake with them before returning to his girlfriend's family cottage. They also ride a venture, 2 decades older than mine!

DSC05364_zpstizazj51.jpg

It's been a long time since I went outside the regular trail on the lake, you must always be very careful while riding on the emptied reservoir ice but it's impressive, very special like this dune normally submerged in summer in the middle of lake.

DSC05413_zpshhuymm8n.jpg

DSC05432_zpslyklowcl.jpg

The view from the cottage on the reservoir is absolutely beautiful and there are many deers in the yard !!!

DSC05434_zpshk5w6mwb.jpg

Kristine took beautiful shots

DSC05436_zpsk7u8pv9x.jpg

We had a great evening and a great time with our hosts. It seems to me that just a few years ago my boy was still playing with his toys at home and now we are received like distinguished guests by him and his girlfriend in a beautiful cottage ... time flies it is incredible!!!

Sunday morning we took it easy, Kristine was very proud to having snap those blue jay great shots

DSC05440_zpsuaxfkvz1.jpg

DSC5442_zpsebtphp3r.jpg

We then start our return and took back the usual trail on the reservoir

DSC05474_zpsygjetwwh.jpg

Although it is tempting it is not a good spot for speed runs because the ice is far from being even everywhere

DSC05478_zpsznxdti44.jpg

We refueled at St-Michel and took the trail #63 to the Cabanon. There are some dirt spots that are starting to come out especially in the big south facing hills near the village but nothing serious yet.

DSC05491_zpskyyibnax.jpg

The rest is still beautiful

DSC05495_zpsiendvn0l.jpg

We passed near the Cabanon and went north on the #23 trail to ride the Mastigouche Wildlife Reserve. Still a lot of snow there...

DSC05501_zpsbzfj3ign.jpg

The trail was nice with a bit of ripple in some curves but very nice overall

DSC05504_zps5glm6osl.jpg

good snow and fast trails

DSC05506_zpsona0osme.jpg

DSC05510_zps18ufnecf.jpg

We arrived at the pourvoirie Koubec a little before 2:00 pm and eat there. 

DSC05512_zpsjfmruyzs.jpg

We then left on #350 trail to the west

DSC05528_zpstvtlfo2s.jpg

And have taken the #23 on the same path from the day before but south. Here the diverted trail to the shortcut to avoid  Massé pourvoirie

DSC05532_zpshxdnn57z.jpg

the shortcut

DSC05533_zpsqc2ingmx.jpg

We took a short break at the small snowmobile club's shack just up the big hill in St-Damien. Kristine took this amazing afternoon close-up of the moon 

DSC05548_zpszefujrfv.jpg

We then retraced our steps down to St. Gabriel.

DSC05542_zpsimutox6j.jpg

As written earlier the good conditions were north from St-Gabriel and south from there the difference was noticeable on the conditions compared to Saturday morning with some dirt that was beginning to appear. To avoid the village of St-Felix we passed by St-Cuthbert/St-Norbert which at final had too bare and dirty spots and was no better than the saturday route. We had just enought water holes to cleanup the skid after  the dirt runs!!! We finally arrived home around 5:30 pm with 303 miles on the dreammeter for the 2 days.

In summary, the season is over near home but still a lot of snow north in the mountains and Mauricie side seems pretty good too. The temperature and precipitation in the next days will be decisive to know when the clubs will be grooming again. I suggest you to follow the developments here on the trails conditions website: https://www.snowmobilecountry.ca/en/conditions/

Good season ending!

Alain

Edited by towing

Really enjoyed your trip pictures Alain. We spend 3 days at the Canadaventure Lodge just north of where you stayed on the lake so recognized many of the sites.

We spent the weekend riding north of Mont Laurier, what perfect weather to enjoy our season ending ride. Was also enjoyable trip because my 24 year old son was able to come with me for his first experience riding Quebec.

The reservoir system in Quebec amazes me. We stayed at the Rabaska Lodge, the Baskatong Reservoir is basically empty at that location, just a river running through it. The volume of water it will take to refill these empty reservoirs is hard to imagine. Was looking at the maps and in some cases the watersheds include huge areas but have to wonder if there is enough snow to refill them?

Have a great summer.

Steve

On 27/03/2018 at 9:56 PM, dooright said:

The end to another awesome  winter of riding is close now  , Have a great off season     :-)

I hope to put some more miles on the venture this season but we are definitely coming toward the end of the season, the trailer will be put back in service for the next!

Have a great off season too :good:

On 27/03/2018 at 10:27 PM, PLAYHARD said:

A "Blue Jay Day!"  Bravo!

A blue jay day with blue jay pics!!!   Thanks Playhard!

On 27/03/2018 at 10:57 PM, Phil 1 said:

Nice run guys, I  enjoy following your adventures, have a good summer.

Thank you Phil, I enjoy yours too! this forum is one of the best because alot guys share their adventure on here. I know I miss some and will have some good reading on here to fillup the off season. Have a good summer too!!!

On 28/03/2018 at 7:56 AM, Fuse6 said:

Really enjoyed your trip pictures Alain. We spend 3 days at the Canadaventure Lodge just north of where you stayed on the lake so recognized many of the sites.

We spent the weekend riding north of Mont Laurier, what perfect weather to enjoy our season ending ride. Was also enjoyable trip because my 24 year old son was able to come with me for his first experience riding Quebec.

The reservoir system in Quebec amazes me. We stayed at the Rabaska Lodge, the Baskatong Reservoir is basically empty at that location, just a river running through it. The volume of water it will take to refill these empty reservoirs is hard to imagine. Was looking at the maps and in some cases the watersheds include huge areas but have to wonder if there is enough snow to refill them?

Have a great summer.

Steve

Thank you Steve!  I had been surprised when we ride from l'auberge du Lac Taureau to Canadaventure  over the lake, it's reallly shorter, we were at Canadaventure in no time!

This last weekend was amazing, perfect temperature+long daylight on end of season perfectly shape flat trails. Sharing those times with the one we love is priceless!

Yes, the required water volume to fill up those reservoir is totally amazing but don't worry it will be back at full capacity by June beginning, this every years even when we have less snow than usual. The river network that flowing in those reservoir pickup the water on thousands square kms around. For the Taureau one the Mattawin river source is deep in the Mt-Tremblant park and Rouge-Mattawin reserve via the Mattawin west river. They take 3 months to empty it and it will fill up in just a bit more than one... amazing!

Enjoy your summer and take care :good:

Edited by towing

Awesome ride Alain and Kristine. So very nice to get to spend the time with your son and his girlfriend. Time surely passes quickly. Great Season. Be well my friends.

Edited by iceman