St-Zenon/Mattawin/St-Michel des Saints photo ride report 7april2018

towing

I was disappointed to have missed the Easter weekend to ride but it is sometimes like that... but now that everyone thought sledding was over in my area mother nature sends us another surprise, a good one this time: One foot+ snow drop all over the north of my area on wednesday 4 April

Several clubs had already announced or planned their closure. Riding up to April was already good in my area and I must admit that  earth started to come out in some spots even in the north. I would like to Thanks all the snowmobile clubs peoples who rolled back up their sleeves and took their groomers out again for this last weekend in the north of my area, especially the Snowmobile Club of St-Michel des Saints, the Club du Royaume (Cabanon), the club Mattawin (Marineau toward Mauricie), the club of Notre-Dame de la Merci and all others that I could have forgotten.

Having that large amount of new snow with mild temperatures,  we did not expect perfect trails. It was not groomed everywhere and where it was the snow was  very soft and the conditions have changed all the day but we had played in the snow under extraordinary weather conditions and scenery and got a real treat.

Here is the approximate trail path we rode Saturday, April 7 2018 totaling 236 miles

carte_zps7fmp5m7i.jpg

Here starting from La Glacière in St-Zenon  at 9:00 am Saturday morning under a cloudy sky with -4C with our friend Steph

DSC05595_zpslme1v1zw.jpg

We took the #350 and then joined  the #23 north which were both freshly groomed

DSC05609_zpsxk80uwol.jpg

We had an overnight new snow bonus of a few inches  like the ice on an already generous cake

DSC05618_zpsyckoh1z1.jpg

We passed by the Cabanon where we made a fuelup  before continuing toward the #345

DSC05624_zpsnj6vsjl9.jpg

The #23 had been groomed after the storm but contrary to what we had read on Facebook, beyond the #345 north had not been but several sleds had passed.

DSC05629_zpsarhuyrzg.jpg

The problem in those conditions is that the trail get narrow on some spots because everybody tend to pass in the same line which can get scary to cross other sled especially on a wooded twisty trail so we chose to go toward the Taureau dam. This segment of trail had been even less used but was taking us sooner on the #360 which is wider with better visibility. Two-up on a touring machine in a canal like that is not easy, especially for the stress level of my best half on the back but we had not long to do it

DSC05640_zpsd7ganw7x.jpg

And soon we were at the Taureau dam that we crossed to join the #360 trail on the other side

DSC05645_zpsh12wnv7q.jpg

Again only one track wide but no sled had passed since the last overnight 3-4 inches of new snow so it was a lot easier because I was not tracking in the skis tracks of the others before. I am not sure that the stress level of my darling had decreased much but on my side I had a real blast!!! The venture tossed alot snow in this spot and I admit that I probably have a few more miles on the dreammeter vs the gps because of that segment!

DSC05658_zpscnuvldeh.jpg

The scenery that was already very snowy became even more
DSC05674_zpsw2a8xgaj.jpg

Here at the #360/#345north junction (toward pourvoirie du Repos).

DSC05683%203_zpsgo9oohut.jpg

For ourself we continued on the#360 northeasterly to go eat at Marineau in Rivière Mattawin. The snow that was intermittent since we started became more and more present

DSC05685_zpsk1cvbbo2.jpg

The #360 trail had not been groomed on the first miles...

DSC05686_zpsrpmxwunc.jpg

But the Mattawin snowmobile club had begin to groomed just few miles ahead  and this, up to our destination for lunch at Mattawin

DSC05701_zpsoimv8pog.jpg

Intermittently the snow intensified making this absolutely beautiful scenery even more incredible ...

DSC05695_zpso4ogromh.jpg

I don't think the trees could have been more loaded than that, the pictures speak for themselves

DSC05727_zpsqn1rnhiu.jpg

DSC05749_zpslfjblms3.jpg

It was simply magic ...

DSC05759_zpszx0w3c5r.jpg

DSC05740_zpsujcc7p6v.jpg

While we were already stunned at this scenery, the snow got heavier

DSC05764_zpsrqxyznls.jpg

DSC05766_zpskoucfmkc.jpg

We were there for an april spring ride!!!

DSC05767_zpsmx5u7azl.jpg

It decreased afterwards

DSC05792_zpszi3qexbp.jpg

But the sky was still very dark as we crossed the photo spot on the shore of the beautiful Mattawin River

DSC05804_zpsh94o0qsq.jpg

Here seen from the bridge,  the St-Maurice river with the Auberge Marineau seen through the trees in the distance

DSC05819_zps5iegycrq.jpg

We arrived on-time for lunching at around 12:10. We are always  well received at Marineau, good food and services. A real sledders place for sledders. While we were having lunch, the snow started again!

DSC05820_zpsx1gyczco.jpg

After a good meal break, we gave a good drink to the venture on the other side of the street before continuing

DSC05825_zpsgufxxgwu.jpg

We were still in for some surprises in terms of weather, the sun that we did not expect had come out!

DSC05831_zpsemmtm4f4.jpg

DSC05837_zpsis38ntjo.jpg

And it's under a sun and cloud mix that we  retraced our steps on the #360

DSC05843_zpsvmwkqbkt.jpg

DSC05849_zps55d8e1yu.jpg

An already beautiful and pleasant trail to ride but with those conditions it was really at the top

DSC05878_zpsg1b4uxv7.jpg

DSC05872_zpsf3gqgse1.jpg

The same scenery with the sun instead of the snow was so different but just as beautiful, we are really blessed to had had both in the same ride. Obviously the pics are a lot better when it's sunny ...

DSC05891_zpsldior8m9.jpg

DSC05893_zpsru1jvc27.jpg

We stopped at the halte 440 for some pictures ...

DSC05896_zps9r5x9fr8.jpg

DSC05894_zpseklrftki.jpg

And then continued ...

DSC05897_zpsb5zrol36.jpg

Hum... this white coating on his hood does not seems factory...

DSC05926_zpsddvgkz7s.jpg

Here not far from the Taureau dam. The morning single track was beginning to widen a little

DSC05933_zps7jyw4suf.jpg

Our buddy Steph was a little reluctant to our ride extension plans (maybe he begin to know us well!) but since it was still early we finally convinced him to stretch out the ride by riding around the reservoir and passing through St-Michel des Saints. The first section up to #33 trail had not been groomed either but was riding very well. Here during a short break on the reservoir shore

DSC05945_zpsdnsnqtqo.jpg

Then once on the #33, the trail had been groomed by St-Michel snowmobile club, nice and fast 

DSC05950_zpsdub17bso.jpg

Here on the reservoir beach 

DSC05967_zpstkanussp.jpg

With this beautiful sun giving us maximum visibility we chose to cut on the Taureau reservoir between the Auberge du Lac Taureau and St-Michel des Saints.

DSC05986_zpsh0bx7gl7.jpg

We took the opportunity to do one last fuelup at the the village before continuing on the #63 trail toward the Cabanon. The big hills near the village were very thin but otherwise the snowmobile club of St-Michel had did a very good grooming job because it was very nice and fast.

DSC05990_zpsp1ncp6ip.jpg

We then resumed on our morning path to La Glacière. We finally got back at the trailer around 6:00PM with 236 miles on the dreammeter.

For the next, I do not expect a lot of extra grooming but you can follow the details on the trail conditions website here:  https://www.snowmobilecountry.ca/en/conditions/

Each ride is an unique small adventure and this one has been an incredible good one! Big chances are it was our last one (unless somebody twist my arm!) but I could not dream of a better way to end the season in my area

Have a good off-sledding  season !!!

Alain

Edited by towing

You do an amazing job with your trail reports!! I love reading your adventures and seeing the great pictures. 

We we just got home last night from Mont Valin. It was unreal. It snowed everyday and we were so fortunate to have groomed trails!

Enjoy your summer!

Linda

23 hours ago, Florida Snowman said:

What an unbelievable gift you had!  Amazing ride in April no less!

Enjoy your off season Alain & KriKri.

Best,

Tom

It was really a bonus at this time of the year to have such winter like weather.

Have a good off season too and take care!

22 hours ago, GT Rider said:

Hi Alain

Happy to see you take advantage of April snow. Conditions looked terrific. 

With your report and pics I feel like I got one last trip in for 2018.

Thanks and have a great off season.

Jim & Gemma

Oh ya, a spring ride that had just the name, was looking like winter... in april!!! mother nature is really weird.  Happy to read that you enjoyed the virtual ride!

wish you the best to the two of you for the off-season!

12 hours ago, lindasledgirl said:

You do an amazing job with your trail reports!! I love reading your adventures and seeing the great pictures. 

We we just got home last night from Mont Valin. It was unreal. It snowed everyday and we were so fortunate to have groomed trails!

Enjoy your summer!

Linda

Thank you LInda :give_rose: Glad you too had the chance with Joel to enjoy some incredible "spring sledding" time in Mt-Vallins. Seen some of your pics:absolutly amazing !!!

Enjoy the off season and congratulation again for the new born little girl, you will have some good time at cuddling her in the next months!

7 hours ago, grumpysanta said:

NEXT YEAR.   will not be too far away  great job.

Thanks Grumpysanta! just one day ago I wrote it was my last one and now I feel the itch coming back...i"m not really strong :pardon:

4 hours ago, timbo said:

Super report, Alain.  Truly a ride to remember!

What a year!!

Thank you timbo! glad to see you on the board here! Yes it was a special season, up and down from an extrême to the other... like what we got in this last ride!

Have a good summer!

Best...

Alain