La Sarre to Cochrane Usage Question

revrnd

This is kind of a question pertaining to past use when A105Q was open between La Reine & Cochrane. Over the years there was quite a bit of discussion from Ontario sledders using this trail to complete a loop. Our own group used A105Q to return to Ontario after two days of riding in Quebec. We had entered the province @ Notre Dame du Nord.

Did any of you ever use the A105Q as part of a loop while snowmobiling in the Abitibi-Temiscaming & northeastern Ontario regions?

On 2018-04-14 at 4:42 PM, 182ray said:

Yes back in ‘10 & ‘ 11 but haven’t been that way recently 

I'm not sure, but I think this winter was the 2nd that A105Q was closed. I will have to check my maps.

Looking @ the maps & it was shown on the 2017 version of the Ontario Trail Guide. I'm pretty sure the closure was announced before the start of the 16/17 season.

Edited by revrnd

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

I'm not sure, but I think this winter was the 2nd that A105Q was closed. I will have to check my maps.

No, hasent been open in 2 yrs. Dont think it ever will be, from what ive  read.  Was in the neighborhood 3 weeks ago  checking it out .......:hi:Next yr Im going to Wawa .

download (17).jpg

Edited by momojohnny

57 minutes ago, momojohnny said:

No, hasent been open in 2 yrs. Dont think it ever will be, from what ive  read.  Was in the neighborhood 3 weeks ago  checking it out .......:hi:Next yr Im going to Wawa .

download (17).jpg

Where is that intersection?

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

This help ? We where headed west on 93.  That is  old the Cochrane sign from the closed  A105 Q connection. I dont ride with a  GPS  so I dont know the exact spot sorry. 

download (16).jpg

81AA9989-BD5F-4EE9-9AB3-497E5E8265D0.thumb.jpeg.eab95c107b1e2702f05b307ef8cf5819.jpeg80638353-0AEF-4471-B9DF-2E1B3D1BB85C.thumb.jpeg.92b71cc7b7dd10920596dd77baadcd5e.jpeg

20C60690-DB6B-445C-82A6-FF7FCA1C3EE2.jpegA105 railroad bed hasn’t been groomed in many years.  Hope they start again next year.  Great access to Ontario trail network. It’s a long stretch of RR bed that never got a lot of use.  Maybe that’s why the grooming stopped.  

Edited by Florida Snowman

Ahh, memories. Been on that trail in those conditions a few times. First time was 15 years ago, were planning to start saddlebag trip from Cochrane into Abitiby region. Called ahead and was told trails were no good so left our bags in Cochrane and rode that trail east toward La Reine . When we got into Quebec couldn't believe what we found, Incredible trails, best we had ever seen. Long story short we went to store to buy toothbrushes and underwear. Saddle bag trip without bags, Bahaha

• 1 year later...

Summer of '18 I was camping @ Esker Lakes Provincial Park east of Kirkland Lake. Did a daytrip to Rouyn-Noranda, La Sarre & La Reine. Couldn't believe all the farms (lots of hay being cut). I checked out the bridge and the FCMQ still has signage on the railbed.

Very eerie feeling riding along north of Lake Abitibi. From looking @ the maps over the years, you know you're in the middle of nowhere.

Glad to have been able to ride the trail. File that along w/ riding from Longlac thru Manitouwadge to TOP D about 10 years ago before District 16 was folded.

Edited by revrnd

Yup it’s closed for another year that confirmed from a conversation with a Cocraine groomer with Sledgirl at the TO show. Too much growth that grows rapidly and not enough volunteers to cut it back, remember there’s a 160+ klms on that stretch.

• 1 month later...

We were in LaRein last wimter and while the three of us were sitting at the end of town looking towards the west an older fellow pulls,up on a skidoo. Start telling him about the runs I used to do years ago on the A105 into Cochrane and wanted to show my buddies. He says the trail is permanently closed AND that they ripped out those bridges out there. Said the only people that go out there now are boondockers some of which go down in those big ravines and up the other side. They can have it.  I have my memories.