Is our sport in jeopardy??

Mid Range

According to me........it doesn't look that bright but I hope I'm wrong.But Why.......

-Bad resale value on sled.The market is simply not there.Paid my sled 12,400 CAD last year.Worth near 6,000 on the bluebook as of last saturday.

-Landowners issues

-Lack of volunteers

-Less members across the Province.So less incomes for clubs.

-Many clubs are not in bankruptcy but not too far off.Many of them can't keep up.

-Groomers are very expensive.

-etc..........

We are defenitively not in the 90's anymore.......

What you guys think

According to me........it doesn't look that bright but I hope I'm wrong.But Why.......

-Bad resale value on sled.The market is simply not there.Paid my sled 12,400 CAD last year.Worth near 6,000 on the bluebook as of last saturday.

-Landowners issues

-Lack of volunteers

-Less members across the Province.So less incomes for clubs.

-Many clubs are not in bankruptcy but not too far off.Many of them can't keep up.

-Groomers are very expensive.

-etc..........

We are defenitively not in the 90's anymore.......

What you guys think

I think you are right, but I hope we are both wrong.

As for sled values, I agree with Phil 1, prices was going through the roof with all the new technoglies just when old man winter decided to take a vacation.

The market got flooded with used sleds ontop of it all because everybody wanted the new stuff.

Bad ecomony and high prices on fuel brought everything to a slow.

The best we can hope for at this point is a 2 or 3 very snowy winters in Canada and the USA.

The last couple of season's got salvaged with some decent snow when the season was more than half over. Itf that did not happen when it did things would be a lot worse.

So lets just hope we are in for a few good winters in a row. That's my $.02

I agree fully with the others. The difference in our sport between good times and poor is snow conditions. A couple good old fashion winters and we will forget these bad times.

"Western Canada and Western US last winter had record snowfalls, this translated into very high new machine sales and cleaning vitually all the old sled inventory out" (this was stated by Ed Klim of the International Snowmobile Manufactures Association at the ISC meeting this spring in Minnesota)

Well, I won't give up.

I'll do whatever I can to help my club and distant land hotel/motel owners.

The trail pass along with the rich snowmobile clubs and poor clubs does not work anymore. FCMQ needs to change this setup.

We need to hang on and this new QuebecRider web site will help.

I think it's more than just lack of snow. The price of addmission is just too high these days. It used to be you could buy a sled for $4-5K and use it for a season and upgrade for $1000. Now the difference is close to $2500/year. Plus the truck and trailer to haul them north(for me anyway). The price of gas and a poor exchange rate is just on top of that.

I think what might happen is there will be a lot less snowmobilers on the trail and manufacturers will slow development while extending models over more years. This may not be the best for people who want cutting edge but the bright side is less grooming should be required with less traffic. Alittle scaling back might not be the worst thing. Less "part time yahoos" will ease land owner paint too...

I just hope the trail system is around in 13 years so I can bring my son to Quebec and show him where his father has been going every winter....