Bloody Good News!

Gullyrider

Stéphane Bisson, president of the Association Motoneigistes Vallée de la Nation just posted on their facebook site this bit of very good news:  "Great news the Riopel at Montpellier will reopen. Just talk yesterday evening to new owner and the goal is to reopen for december all services bar motel and restaurant. She will change name of the business and major renovations will be done includings motel rooms. She will be the official new owner at the end of september. We welcome her and wish her all luck to be succesfull. Will keep you update on offical reopening!"  It was a dark time without good old Riopel's last winter, one that we hope is not soon repeated.  I hope anyone trailering to Montpelier, or sledding in the area, will drop in to the re-opened establishment and encourage them with the purchase of a meal and/or a few beverages.  

• 5 months later...

The word is, the woman who bought it bit off more than she can chew.  The building itself might be a tear-down, and she's running into all kinds of municipal government related issues that didn't affect the previous owners because they were grandfathered.   We hope that she has deep pockets because we really miss that place (I've been heading over there since I was a teenager and the hotel was actually across the street where the parking lot is now.

As for the trails, we had the full of our collective arses trying to recover from that 40+ cm storm.  Our Pisten Bully had to run around drag-less to accomplish anything, and, though the John Deere/Gilbert set-up managed to make it's run from our Clubhouse at Lac La Blanche to the TQ 43 in Papineau-Labelle, Wednesday evening, it took him 10 hrs instead of 6.  The driver who next headed out with the tractor Saturday night reported back Sunday morning that it was a nightmare to drag, especially on the corners.  The nice hard base that we had is now buried, and the new snow is not setting up.  Of course, our drivers are encountering the same brain-dead, inconsiderate morons who are continually, needlessly and stupidly hammering their throttles and tearing up the ribbon that we have worked so hard to put down.   Forget about eco-freaks and tree-huggers .... once again we are our own worst enemies, and I see no improvement on the horizon (morning rant ...i feel better now!).