Trail Info

Shore1066

Hello riders. 

Well we are in the planning stage for a ride this winter. Plan is start in western Quebec and end up in eastern part. Any way question is, we plan on crossing the St. Lawernce on the ferry to Matane. Our thought was to cross from Baie Comeau to Matane.  I think I have read that the the trail from Baie Comeau to Godbout was special and looking for info if it would be worth extenting our ride the extra distance to ride that part of the trail. Have a good winter and be safe.

rode that section between Baie comeau and Godbout a couple times about 10 years ago. If memory serves me correct it's about 60 miles. I certainly wont ever forget it as "special" or "unique" is definitely a way to describe it. Roller coaster is a better way to describe it. The only trail I can ever remember being on in my life that mile after mile you have butterflies in your stomach from all the steep up and downs, some of which are very short distances between them. Makes me want to go do it again...LOL

One more questions, Getting on the ferry I seen pictures looking like a steel bridge decking material. Should we think about removing carbides before getting on the ferry. 

You will be that close by all means go to Godbout done it several times not to be missed.

Never removed carbides before riding any ferry.

Edited by Phil 1

I think to this day I still have finger blisters from squeezing the brake so hard in that 'special section'. You'll either have stomach butterflies or helmet puke. I did this section solo and thought it would be decades before anyone would find me after I went over one of those drop offs. I think this was before the one inch lugs and far before the inch and a quarter lugs. The track was locked going down hills and I gained great speeds down each hill.

mike

On 10/7/2018 at 12:31 PM, Phil 1 said:

You will be that close by all means go to Godbout done it several times not to be missed.

Never removed carbides before riding any ferry.

Snowmobile  retractable wheels ...Manual or Hydraulic .....Ask Saguenay Bill for further...Great @ gas stations too....

15 hours ago, nyskidooerinnewhampshire said:

Snowmobile  retractable wheels ...Manual or Hydraulic .....Ask Saguenay Bill for further...Great @ gas stations too....

Just drive over what ever the planet presents, carbides are cheap. I’ve found out that reverse gives better control on non-snow covered surfaces. I’m not a wheel fan...

I agree about steering in reverse works best even at the end of the year when carbides are bad. Problem is that I'm not very flexible or you can say kinda heavy and it's hard to see where I'm going.  I guess easiest is no fear and keep going. Right carbides are cheap.

On 10/7/2018 at 5:42 PM, mikerider said:

You'll either have stomach butterflies or helmet puke.

Too funny!  Sounds good for a tourism brochure!  

Shame the most puckery spots usually aren't conducive to stopping for photos.  Then again, pics never really convey the sphincter-factor.  Maybe drone video (NH Moose)?...

May bring a drone on some trip, but it usually takes long enough to pop the GoPro on my helmet for some quick footage, let alone digging out a drone, booting it up, get some video, pack it up.   By then the rest of Team Icaman will be 15 miles ahead 🤣

1 hour ago, markusvt said:

No worries on carbides across onto the different ferries, done it many, many times without wheels.  Now crossing the bridge in Wemotaci in the spring, BRUTAL on the carbides. 

Capture.JPG

No joke

On 10/7/2018 at 5:42 PM, mikerider said:

I think to this day I still have finger blisters from squeezing the brake so hard in that 'special section'. You'll either have stomach butterflies or helmet puke. I did this section solo and thought it would be decades before anyone would find me after I went over one of those drop offs. I think this was before the one inch lugs and far before the inch and a quarter lugs. The track was locked going down hills and I gained great speeds down each hill.

mike

Had lunch with one of the boys that goes to Quebec with David and me today. Showed him your post Mike.  Big smile came on his face and said I'm going there. Didn't mention we were going to cross a 700 foot long bridge that is 90 feet high. My land we are going to have a great trip.  

• 2 weeks later...

Yes there is a ferry that goes back. New plan is get to Baie Comeau and spend the night there. Get up and ride up the 3 trail north to Godbout area and if possible have a little lunch and ride back . If we get back in time to catch the 5 pm ferry to Matane that would be great but if not catch the next ferry the next day. Will be able to enjoy this special trail both ways. Our plan is to get to Matane and travel south on the 5 trail or 35 trail to Levis area and trailer back across the river and then ride to our truck. Now this is snowmobiling so things can change in a minute as we all know but part of the fun is the planning. It's an area we haven't been and before and I am getting older and I want see as much of Quebec as possible. I do have riding pardners  who are great and we all love to see new places.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences and suggestions on the best way to ride this section of the Quebec trails.

Oh by the way I live in Clayton NY, really on a island, Grindstone, and woke up to it snowing and a white cover on the ground. It isn't November yet and it makes you wonder what is coming in the future. Thanks again. Be safe all.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/7/2018 at 9:51 AM, snowmaster2112 said:

rode that section between Baie comeau and Godbout a couple times about 10 years ago. If memory serves me correct it's about 60 miles. I certainly wont ever forget it as "special" or "unique" is definitely a way to describe it. Roller coaster is a better way to describe it. The only trail I can ever remember being on in my life that mile after mile you have butterflies in your stomach from all the steep up and downs, some of which are very short distances between them. Makes me want to go do it again...LOL

Definitely one of the best sections of trail I've ever ridden. Last time there I stopped to take a picture (With a Camera) at the suspended bridge. Take off, go a few miles and notice my pocket was open and the camera gone. Just about to turn around and Bobler comes pulling up and hands me my camera. Awesome, until I look on he back and see a perfect center punched hole from Boblers stud. At least the memory card was intact.....