Which trip is best???

Signfan

I have to choose one.  Options I'm looking at are

Quebec City to Mont Valin / Saguenay and back (make a loop)

Gaspe (Matane to Perce and back in a loop)

St Lawrence tour (Quebec City - Baie Comeau - Matane - Quebec City)

No more than 300 km a day as riding with my wife.  Never been to any of these areas yet.

IF I had to categorize the 3 trips, if it helps:

QC-MtValin, Easiest and Very Scenic. 

Gaspe, Very Scenic, Must Do, maybe not the first time with Wife. Flexibility may be key.

St Lawrence tour, Adventurous, 3 Ferry Crossings, Great River Views, Rt 3 can get twisty between LaMalbae and Tadoosac. 

So now that's as clear as Mudd....

I'm sure others will pipe up.

GutZ

With the wife along, I would look for loops with nice/big hotels;  you know, places with restaurants, plenty of amenities to keep the wife happy, especially if you get snowed in for a couple days.  Probably the Saguenay/Lake St Jean area would be a good bet or the Montmagny, RDL, Matane area. Others can chime in for more specifics.

mike

Saguenay would be my vote.  Matane is quite a bit further in the truck.  I don't believe the St. Lawrence tour you have in mind is anywhere near as scenic as the Saguenay.

Here is how I would lay out the trip.  Start from the Roquemont in St. Raymond.  Take 23 north, bypass L'Etape and have lunch at the relais Apica, spend the night at the Universel in Alma. Head north and then west through the local trails in the mountains.  Spend the night at the east side, of 93, someone will chime in for a good place to stay out near Sacre Coeur.  Then head back to the truck in St. Raymond.  Sure 23 two out of three days.  Too much traffic near Quebec city for me.  Tempting to make it a loop down 3 from Sacre Coeur using the ferry in Tadousac, but 3 near the shore is not that great. It is wind blown on the north side, and by the end of day three, trying to get through Quebec city back to St. Raymond is a PIA, downright brutal on a Sunday evening.

20170220_104346.jpg

That pic is from the lookout at Apica.  You might not be able to go as far east as Sacre Coeur on day 2, in order to make it back to sweet baby St Ray under 300 kms day 3 without using 3. Maybe stay at KM31, keep in mind it might be full of Johnny stand up mountain men though.  Usually a turn off for the ladies.  

20171222_111430.jpg

17 hours ago, Signfan said:

3 ferries?  Tadoussac and Baie Comeau.  Where is the third?

3 crossings,   2 by ferry (Tadoussac,then either Baie Comeau or Godbout )and one by trailer in Quebec, either to start the trip or end it.

32 minutes ago, NSHM said:

3 crossings,   2 by ferry (Tadoussac,then either Baie Comeau or Godbout )and one by trailer in Quebec, either to start the trip or end it.

17 hours ago, Signfan said:

3 ferries?  Tadoussac and Baie Comeau.  Where is the third?

Levis? Lots of Road riding, LOL!!!! and you end up in downtown QC!

GutZ

4 hours ago, MrGutz said:

Levis? Lots of Road riding, LOL!!!! and you end up in downtown QC!

GutZ

They have a shuttle service..... pick you up at Bernieres and drop you off in St Foy at the Colibri. No black trail!!

1 hour ago, NSHM said:

They have a shuttle service..... pick you up at Bernieres and drop you off in St Foy at the Colibri. No black trail!!

A Shuttle Service that Ferries you across the river... hmmmm.

LOL

GutZ

On 11/6/2018 at 2:14 PM, Signfan said:

I have to choose one.

With the Wife:  Quebec City to Mont Valin / Saguenay and back (make a loop)

With the Buddies:  Gaspe (Matane to Perce and back in a loop)

With the Girlfriend:  St Lawrence tour (Quebec City - Baie Comeau - Matane - Quebec City)

12 hours ago, PLAYHARD said:

With the Girlfriend:  St Lawrence tour (Quebec City - Baie Comeau - Matane - Quebec City)

Lol

This should be shown on the maps as recommended loops. 

14 hours ago, PLAYHARD said:

What do you do when your wife and girlfriend both want to go at the same time ! :-)

21 minutes ago, dooright said:

What do you do when your wife and girlfriend both want to go at the same time ! :-)

Which one would give you the most "appreciation"....  ;)

Hi Signfan,

A couple of questions.  How many days are you planning on riding, not counting truck days?  When are you going, early season, late season?  What type of riding do the two of you prefer, laid back cruising, mountains, scenic?  The answers to the questions could make a difference with the recommendations.

Talking with Sandi, we agree on the Saguenay region.  Roquemont is a fine place to stage from.  It is a comfortable one day ride to the Saguenay region.  There are many good places to stay and many good day loops.  It is very scenic from the lookouts on Mont Valins.  We think it is the best variety overall.  If you time it right or post here, you could probably get someone to tag along with from Roquemont to Saguenay then pick your rides from there.

The St Laurent and Gaspe are great in their own respect and well worth the ride but not quite the variety.

Jack & Sandi

Prefer open bush roads or utility cuts.  Open riding.  Not big fans of the tight and twisty.  Variety is good though.  Scenery is always appreciated.  Probably 3 days of riding.  Maybe more pushing it out to a 5 day trip.  We only make a trip or two a year to Quebec so usually do the three day pass thing.  A seven day pass would be fine too.  Like I said 300 km is our limit per day.

Interesting idea.  Been looking at it some and thinking one of the following

Idea # 1

Sainte Anne de Beaupre to delta via 3 and 83

Delta back to the delta doing a loop out towards passion and Mont Valin and back

Delta to Sainte Anne de Beaupre via Mont Apica and L'etape

Idea #2

Roquemont to Alma via 23

Alma to Robertville running trail 373 for most of the run followed by 93 at the north end

Roberville to Roquemont via trail 355 and 73

Anyone have any experience with this loop.  What is trail 373 like?

1 hour ago, Signfan said:

Idea #2

Roquemont to Alma via 23

Alma to Robertville running trail 373 for most of the run followed by 93 at the north end

Roberville to Roquemont via trail 355 and 73

This one.

373 is awesome. 

To see Mont Valin you need more time. One day is not enough. To experience some lookouts and ride Bra Louis. Then another day ride down 83 to Sacre Coeur cross ferry and take 383 back up to Saguenay. Or down 83 then up to Escoumins and Pel Chat trail back to Mont Valin. 

That’s all I got to say about that.