Newbie Trip to Quebec around Christmas

robb

Hello,

My 15 years old and I are looking for a destination in Quebec during the Christmas week. We are starting in Philadelphia and picking up our sleds in Tupper Lake NY. The drive is long from Philly and we don't want to travel much more then 4 hours from Tupper. Saddle bagging is an option we are just so unorganized at this point.... If we could find a base hotel and one or two others and end up back at the base hotel it would be an incredible trip. 

My son would also love some mountain riding if there are some open fields and mountains you can play in.

Thank you so much for your advice. 

Just like the rest of the season the Christmas holiday time presents challenges with weather and conditions. Saddlebaging is almost surely out of the question as it would be highly doubtful that all the connecting areas you would need would be open. Unless we have a phenomenal snowy and cold start of the season your usually limited to Mt Valin area way north of Quebec City (too far for you to drive) or St Zenon area north of Montreal 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. Things don't really start rolling in Quebec until after New Years and then only when Mother Nature cooperates. Your best chance and option from what you say is Le Cabanon in St Zenon. But there is no gaurantee things will be worth the trip until last minute monitoring and updates. Lots of trails there to do day loops and if there is groomable snow THEY WILL BE GROOMING. Best wishes.

For the best time you could have for your son you may want to think about the February school vacation time to go. It's along way to go to find the trails not ready and or no snow to ride on. Also in many areas the trails have areas that are not frozen and can be hard to pass over.  So be careful and be safe. 

3 hours ago, Signfan said:

I don’t think your 15 year old can legally drive his sled in Quebec.

https://fcmq.qc.ca/en/safety-informations/snowmobile-drivers-licence/

Something to consider.  Le Cabanon is a good call if they get the snow.  

For non-Quebec residents

Operators aged 16 and 17 years old must possess proof that they are legally entitled to operate an off-highway vehicle in their home jurisdiction.  Please note that even in instances when the home state or province allows legal operation of a snowmobile to individuals aged below 16 years of age, driving a snowmobile in Quebec for anyone under 16 is strictly prohibited.

I am not at all condoning it but I was unaware of the age requirement prior to this thread actually and so my daughter logged a couple miles in QC on one of our sleds prior to her 16th.  We were just taking very short jaunts from the hotel.

You have to watch where the snow flies early and then pay attention to club conditions to see if they will hold. Almost any time of year other than mid Feb is a weather crap shoot.  St Zenon is probably your best bet if it HAS to be over Christmas holiday AND your driving constraints are not flexible. Not sure on the off trail excursion and you want to be careful of that so if the weather works out for you you should find an off trail guide that you can start at or ride to such as Rebaska (West) or Nord Expe or even Auberge du Ravage (east). No matter where you go at Christmas time IF there is snow there will be traffic because everyone else is Jonesing as much as you are.  I hope the plan comes together for you. 

23 hours ago, 800steve said:

Xmas week is very weather dependent.Very hard to make plans before the first of the year. Mt Valin will have snow, but a much longer drive, and if its the only place that has snow, you DONT want to be there that week.

X2

1 hour ago, actionjack said:

Club Royaume groomed Le Cab to Lac Taureau today according to their Facebook page. 

https://www.snowmobilecountry.ca/en/conditions/

I remember years ago, having a new sled in the garage....shit, who am I  kidding...I would hit it tomorrow.  :yahoo:

Maybe Towing can give us a mini ride report tomorrow.....Alain? Are you out there?  

It has to be some sort of new record.  A spot you can ride before Thanksgiving not named Valin.

My yard has a foot of fresh snow as we speak. Might have fire up the sled just so I dont feel like I missed out on something when the grass comes back