Matane Hotel

fredsleds

Plan on staying the night in Matane in February and catching the ferry at 8 AM.  It looks like the Quality Inn is closest to the ferry, but, others have commented that the Riotel is a nicer place to stay.  So it looks like its about a 50 km ride from the Riotel to the ferry as you have to get back on the trail and go around Matane and back in to the ferry.  Is this correct or is there a shortcut to the ferry (riding the side of the road, etc)?  Would hate to make a wrong turn and miss the ferry.  I'd appreciate any advice from thjose who have stayed at the Quality Inn and the Riotel.

Thanks!

We do like the Riotel.  It has been a few years since we have been there but it has always been nice. 

No legal shortcut to the ferry that I know of.  By car it isn't far but by sled you do have to make the big loop around town.

Jack & Sandi

Iceman is correct, 15km at the most. I have stayed at both places over the many years of traveling the Gaspesie. The Riotel is nice for sure but it is brutal getting in and out. Way too many bare streets and parking lots to ride through to get there. Groomed trail to the door of the Quality Inn and the ferry is only a quarter mile from the back door. 

1 minute ago, smclelan said:

The Riotel is nice for sure but it is brutal getting in and out. Way too many bare streets and parking lots to ride through to get there. Groomed trail to the door of the Quality Inn and the ferry is only a quarter mile from the back door. 

Yes and Yes. 

Thanks everyone, I used the FCMQ map feature and it gave me the 50K, my mistake.  Sounds like the QI will be the better fit for our needs.  I appreciate all the advice from those who have experience!!

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, the year that Snobeeler is talking about, the Gaspe was the only area with snow in February.  My group talked with them as we were driving up when they were on their way home.  I avoided Matane on our way out, but on the return trip snow was very plentiful even in the town.  

The Riotel has the new Hotel, which is very nice, but there is a chance that you might get put in the old section, not bad, but you have to walk a distance to get to the main Hotel and their services.  Can be a bitter walk along the St. Lawrence. 

• 2 weeks later...

We are planning a trip around Gaspe in March of next year. We'd like to start and end in Matane, instead of Rimouski or RDL. How does everyone feel about leaving a truck/trailer in Matane at the Quality Inn for 5-7 days? Ok? Crime in that area? Thank you

4 hours ago, bandit said:

We are planning a trip around Gaspe in March of next year. We'd like to start and end in Matane, instead of Rimouski or RDL. How does everyone feel about leaving a truck/trailer in Matane at the Quality Inn for 5-7 days? Ok? Crime in that area? Thank you

Should not be any issue. Go for it. Lots of trucks/trailers parking at Quality Inn for the week. All good. 

Edited by iceman

• 2 weeks later...