Place to stay between Shawinagan and La Touque

fredsleds

Looking for a decent hotel that has breakfast and a hot tub.  Stayed at the Safari in the past, it looks renovated and nicer as the Drakkar.  Any comments on the Drakkar?  Do they have a hot tub and breakfast now?  In the past we had to ride into town for food each morning which led to a late start.  I liked the secure sled storage and of course Bernard (RIP).  Any recommendations about the Drakkar or suggestions on where else to stay in Maurice area would be helpful.

Thanks,

Fred

-Last time we stayed at the Gouvener it was packed with Hockey Parents. Yes right next to a restaurant or two.

-I would recommend the Drakkar. Reggie is nice, Clean and Renovated.  Breakfast in the AM, Pizza Place across the Street. AND a supporter.

GutZ

Gouv's got more choices for walking to restos. And they've got the tub & pool, but those are very pubic... uh... PUBLIC!  And after many seasons of launches from there, down the road & over the bridge, they just lost that lovin' feelin'.

Reggie & Nancy are the winners.  They go out of their way with the personal hospitality, like the free breakfast. (And you might even get a maple whisky shot vs Bernard's beer)  It just feels good supporting a small local business who really cares.

Oh and at some point the Gouv installed parking lot gates, but they leave them up?!  And last time we drove from Drakkar to the Devil's Hole Brewery, we peeked and saw they stopped "grooming" the rear courtyard, they'd plowed a walking path/rut for civilians, not so sled corral friendly.

Reggie & Nancy are secure, and heated garage holds a bunch of sleds. 

Playhard,

What do you mean by down the road and over the bridge?  if it's a major bridge crossing that's a deal killer.  Map looks like you ride the river to the front door.  Drakkar is sounding better all the time.  We can live without the hot tub.  Thanks again to all.

Come on Playhard, Ice, pipeman, Gutz.......  Don't you know that Drakkar is not a place anyone would want to stay at.........   Don't send them there!

(That is actually a lie, it is the best place, but I don't want everyone to know because It will be getting harder and harder to get a room there when I need it!)

Fredsleds.  Me and the girlfriend stayed at Drakkar last year for a night then went to Quebec City.  Reggie is a great host and is willing to help with whatever u need.  Ours was ordering dinner.  We already booked him for two nights this winter two thumbs up.

13 minutes ago, Triggerhappy said:

Come on Playhard, Ice, pipeman, Gutz.......  Don't you know that Drakkar is not a place anyone would want to stay at.........   Don't send them there!

(That is actually a lie, it is the best place, but I don't want everyone to know because It will be getting harder and harder to get a room there when I need it!)

Good point, I don't want to find another place.... Everyone please go to the St. Zenon area it's the BEST !

2 hours ago, fredsleds said:

Playhard,

What do you mean by down the road and over the bridge?  if it's a major bridge crossing that's a deal killer.  Map looks like you ride the river to the front door.  Drakkar is sounding better all the time.  We can live without the hot tub.  Thanks again to all.

You do have to go down the road in front of Hotel about 1/4 mile then curl around up onto Rt 157 bridge and cross the river. Little pavement riding if any. Its not bad but not as easy as getting out of Drakkar by no means.

On 11/13/2018 at 7:56 AM, fredsleds said:

Playhard,

There is a bridge crossing when coming out of the Gov. They use a traffic light system because it only allows for sled traffic one way at a time.  There is always snow on the sled portion of the bridge (at least from my experience).  There is river riding right after the bridge...so that can be an issue based on time of season.  The Gov is nice but be aware when youth hockey teams over run the hotel on weekends (not all weekends though).  They play hockey in the hall...parents let kids run wild and you won't get near the pool or hot tub due to noise and kids in there at all hours.  My go to is Drakkar but the wife does like Gov. too.  The owners at Drakkar (Reg and Nancy) are top notch people who cater to snowmobiliers.   Enjoy the upcoming season !!