Riviere du Luop to Pembroke

Gerry

Hi Gerry

Welcome to QR there are a great bunch of sledders on the site with hundreds of years of combined sledding experience not only in QC but all over North America.

I did the ride you are considering in Feb 2015 as part of a 19 day 6300km  ride from Riverview NB to Hearst On and points in between. We stayed in Pembroke at The Best Western and rode to Lancaster and stayed there can't remember the hotel name. Next day we rode to Valley-field QC and crossed the St Lawrence on the bridge on our sleds. We tried to follow the TQ5 to Sorel but there was a section that was closed/non existent. Through much trial and error we ended up on the Yamaska River and just by luck there was a huge gathering of local sledders and ATVers in a cove having a Valentines day party. They looked at these two old guys and basically said where the Hell are you guys going?LOL They gave us directions to follow the river and some local streets and trails to rejoin the regional trail system and we made our way to Sorel and stayed the night. Next day we rode on to Thetford mines and stayed the night. And as Forest Gump would say after that shrimping was easy just ride along perfect trails to RDL.

If I was doing this ride again I would use the RT system and work my way down to the TQ35 as soon as possible and ride east on it as tends to be quicker and more reliable at least it was in 2015.

Hope this helps some. In 2015 there was ample snow south of Montreal many years this is not the case. There are members on the site who live in the area and can provide accurate updates as the season progresses.

Andy

Hello Gerry. Welcome

My boy and I are going to make a trip this February kinda like what you are talking about. First let me clear this that the Pembrook you are talking about is in Ontario near Swisha I think. Anyway our plan is to start in Swisha and head north on 43 to 63 to Rouyn Noranda area first. Then north farther on 93 to 396 Matagami. Haven't there in years. Then follow 396 back to 93 and then north to Chibougamau. From there head south on 93 to the Saguenay area to meet a friend  for a day or two. From there head south on 23 to St. Raymond to meet a couple people who couldn't make the first venture. From there you can go south to the north side of the river and there I believe is a shuttle to you can hire to trailer sleds across to Levis. Other can verify about the shuttle.  Then just pick up 5 or 35 on to RDL. I have friends who made the ride from Levis to RDL and said it was easy. The reason we are taking the northern route is because of the snow conditions and traffic. I think the trails are faster and less towns to go through but there is lots of gas available. Another way is from Amos to Senneterre and pick up 83 to Saguenay.  Lots of snow usually there too. 

As for us we are going to leave St. Raymond and pick up 3 and go north to Baie Comeau and catch the ferry to Matane and then to RDL, Levis, trailer across the river  and back to the truck at St. Raymond. I don't know how long our trip will take because of weather or mileage we get, I just know this is our plan at this moment. I don't think you can plan anything perfectly when you are saddle bagging on a snowmobile.

If you go on the internet and bring up FMCQ you will be able to bring up the Quebec trail map and all of Quebec trails, hotels and gas are there to look at. 

It's the greatest place to ride in my opinion and the people are the best. 

The Quebec Rider web site is also the best for information. Everyone here is diffently a snowmobile lover. It's such a wonderful sport.

Well hope this helps and most of all be safe. Have fun.

George

Hi Gerry.  Welcome to QuebecRider.  Give us a little background and you will probably get better responses.  Have you ridden in Quebec?  If so, how much?  What type of riding do you prefer, flat, mountains, scenic?  How many in the group?  How many days and how many km per day?

If you have been reading QR, you know you are going to get some good feedback.

Jack & Sandi