All this early Snow....not good.

iceman

So you think all this Snow falling in November is great huh? Well news flash....and I hate to be the one to pee on your cheerios, however it must be said. 

It’s bad news, cause this snow arrived long before the ground was frozen up good. This includes all the swamps, marshes and not to mention lakes and rivers. Now we have essentially a layer of insulation that will prevent the cold from doing its job when it arrives in force. This is going to be a problem, mark my words. Not my first rodeo and I know how it works. This will cause many headaches for the clubs and will not speed up opening and interconnection of the trails. Also with all the rights of passage on the agricultural land the ground must be frozen solid so no traces are left in the spring of any ground disturbed. 

Sure trails in some places on summer roads and in the parcs will not be affected at all. Some clubs are already grooming but no trails are officially open yet.

below is an article from Journal Quebec translation is not great but you can get the point

https://www.journaldequebec.com/2018/11/28/un-debut-de-saison-timide

November 28

Even if the snow is remained at soil and that that revives the hopes of motoneigistes, to consult the table of conditions of trails, you notes that the season not begins not on the hats of wheel. Except some exceptions in lanaudière to saint-zénon and saint-michel-of-saints, to chapais, in the sector of saint-raymond with the cycle path, to kamouraska, to escoumins and to saint-ferdinand in the center of quebec, nothing is not open officially. These sites represent of small servings of trails who not communicate not together. You is far of network of 33 000 kilometres of trails. It lack always one element essential, the bottom hardened by the cold that we does have not had since the beginning of the appearance of the snow. Unlike to what one can believe, if the snow arrives before the great cold, she becomes one insulation preventing earth of freeze. Same thing if she covers of sites wet, where circulate with of the machinery becomes problematic if the soil is not not frozen. Before make whatever this either, the volunteers of clubs must wait UNCOVERED the conditions for allow the passage of surfaceuses, without damage the mechanics but also without damage the soil. One good part of network of trails is find on of land agricultural. It must avoid the more possible of leave of traces on the soil who will be cultivated the season next. The respect of the property private is essential for the obtaining of precious rights of passage. The clubs are also subject to of standards environmental very severe since some years. They is must of respect of rules precise otherwise, of penalties go follow. The parks national one real bomb is fell on the world of the snowmobile in end of week whereas the new of return an path in the park of mount-trembling, was broadcast. It seems although the government legault goes rank to arguments of middle of saint-donat who request the reopening of this path closed since 2003. to this subject, the president of the federation of clubs of motoneigistes of quebec, mario gagnon, has held to underline that its organization had not nothing to see in this request. «We does have never asked one path in one national park and this is not not our intention of the make. We developed one program of écosentier in the goal of improve our performance in matter of environment. We are one organization responsible who wishes that the practice of the snowmobile s'inscrive in one plan total an society who is in addition in more conscious of its environment. »If never the government continued with the establishment an path in the park of mount-trembling, the only role of the federation is limit to well check to what the path respects all the standards in force. Memories it has not not had long in order that the announcement of this return possible of path in the park of mount-trembling, revives some records who have fact flow much of ink in the past. You can think to the closure of path of mummies in the national park of mountains-valin or still at path of high-gorges in charlevoix. This region not s'est never discount of the loss of this path, who was one product of call for the motoneigistes of everywhere in america of north and same of europe. In brief of snowmobiles more own several groups environmental mounted to barricades as soon as the plan of path of park of mount-trembling was launched in the air. For them, the presence of snowmobiles in one park of conservation is absolutely incompatible with the mission of these places. They must know however that since of years, the manufacturers have not not had the choice of create of snowmobiles more own in order to answer to standards environmental of governments. They until 2006 for s'y comply. They successful if although same in the national park of yellowstone to states-united, the motoneigistes can circulate in respecting some rules very strict. This park is one jewel recognized worldwide. The clubs surprised the winter hurried that we know this season, has played one turn to all the world, including to clubs of motoneigistes. Normally, in november, the clubs can prepare the trails, install the signaling and is prepare to the arrival of the snow. In several case, the volunteers is are fact take of speed if well qu'ils have not not had the time of finish the work preparatory. Currently, all the teams are on the ground for make advance the things, especially qu'avec the snow who is fell this week, it could to be possible of open more of trails. If lady nature collaborates, it is can strong although you can make of the snowmobile during the period of holidays. It must avoid the course of water it not must especially not you venture on of course of water or of lakes because according to the information collected to the magnitude of quebec, it n'y has not of ice enough solid for the circulation of snowmobiles. Even if of habit you can circulate to some places because you are accustomed and that the ice is enough strong, with the beginning of winter that we, nothing is not more some. It must all check before pass. The volunteers of clubs have of methods for sound the ice and know if all is loan before of open one path. It is worth better wait them signal before you launch.

Edited by iceman

We are lucky in the laurentiens, had a fair bit of snow on the ground and the ground was frozen 4 inches deep.( I know I had to dig / defrost holes for my tempos hold down spikes ). It was down below zero F several night last week and the lake froze over. I always hope that we don’t get much snow once it freezes and cold weather to build thickness. Then it rained a few days and they announced big snow accumulations for here. I thought we’re screwed still ice on the lake and the ground is soggy again. Both will not freeze well. Big surprise, hardly any snow maybe 1/4 inch fell and almost all the previous snow has melted. Yeah, we get a do over here.

I oldest son and his uncle went early one year and it was a adventure.  First going across a small bridge on a curve he meet a logging truck. Out of no where a log got lose and sure enough it hit his passenger side front tire. No where to go as far as the log. After looking over the front tire it wasn't rubbing any where and it looked straight and it drove the speed limit. On to Mont Laurie. So proud he made me. The wheel was only 4 inches off center. Now to the bad stuff. Not sure where he was maybe on 13 going north not sure. I think heading to  Clova. Anyway he went by a cabin and he thought he seen someone in it but was going pretty fast was not sure. Anyway a little ways down the trail they found two sled stuck in the trail with running water. Well back to the cabin and sure enough they found two gentlemen that were in serious trouble.  So cold they couldn't start a fire. This is what is amazing is the gentleman spoke French and my boy only English.  He said even though they had a language  barrier they understood each other . End of story was they got the guys warm . Went back to their sleds and got them unstuck and sent them to the nearest lodging wet again from getting the sleds out. They treated my boys to dinner and drinks and more if they were allowed. Just a story about early riding in the swampy areas. Also how the language barrier didn't effect 4 people doing what needed to be done to save lives. Made me very proud of my boy and his uncle. 

On 11/28/2018 at 5:14 PM, iceman said:

you notes that the season not begins not on the hats of wheel

Not sure what that means?

But this clearly says GO-GO-GO!...

On 11/28/2018 at 5:14 PM, iceman said:

nothing is not open officially

35 minutes ago, NHTOM said:

Those photos remind me, again, of why I'll never own an ATV..........

Am I missing something?, I don’t see one atv in those pics.

Topic right on point.  The southern clubs will struggle with this.  It is an issue in VT everywhere now and the clubs are out doing what they can.  Our Zenon blast Thursday was good, but again no water issues on park roads generally.

On 11/30/2018 at 5:05 PM, NHTOM said:

Those photos remind me, again, of why I'll never own an ATV..........

I am the same...I hate mud and dirt and i love snow... The ground not frozen issue is of course a bad thing for anything related to snowmobiling...

But, keep in mind , it is not the same everywhere....Up here Northern Ontario and probably Northern Quebec as well, we're doing just fine....Ground is frozen...

To ride early, you have to go north...That's all.....Toute est ben beau icite...

3 hours ago, 18000HP said:

I am the same...I hate mud and dirt and i love snow... The ground not frozen issue is of course a bad thing for anything related to snowmobiling...

But, keep in mind , it is not the same everywhere....Up here Northern Ontario and probably Northern Quebec as well, we're doing just fine....Ground is frozen...

To ride early, you have to go north...That's all.....Toute est ben beau icite...

Yep so how are things shaping up in the Hearst / Hornepayne area now ?