Mt Valin Early Ride

RoadRunner

6 minutes ago, smclelan said:

They told me too at the dealership I would not need a balaclava when I was trying the helmet on with my balaclava on. I will take my chances. 

-40*F or *C and one or two balaclavas will be a requirement!  I can’t believe any dealer would say otherwise!  I’ve ridden long miles in temps like that!

22 hours ago, lindasledgirl said:

Groomer just sent me a balaclava suggestion....he says I have enough and to pick from the giant bag of gear I already have! Lol

3089F5FA-11E1-4207-BE2C-61D2F631D2A5.jpeg

Now that looks like a perfect one Linda!

The temps are dropping here this morning, I think it’s is Balaclava weather!

we had our biggest day yesterday for riding, a morning loop to the ski mountain, up the Bras Louis and down the Lake Laflame rd. Than an afternoon ride to Escoumin.  A fun 300 miles of perfect groomed trails and single track riding.

Th flu has made its rounds this week, so  any are heading south today.  Including yours truly.  1500 miles on the Back Country and 600 on the Turbo gave us a real good feel for these new sleds.

As we reported early, these sleds are BRP homeruns.  Anyone who has purchased one will be very pleased when they saddle up and hit the trails?

Pics that I am sure you all have seen when running 93 in Valin😁

Thinks Snow

RRF47AEFC4-9E95-49E5-956F-117F65B66758.thumb.jpeg.d09937e66be93f4628610da1421f9128.jpeg59D15802-4BAB-4EAE-9B49-159596FFBB00.thumb.jpeg.c7acbc5e74d1d38c387889d83154b2bb.jpegADD9D719-1232-455D-90DA-5DF31F79C068.thumb.jpeg.85e67ee8124aa1ebb4ac50a40633da62.jpeg

7DDB76AC-4F75-4329-9D3C-B5B366EAC920.jpeg

RR thnaks for the report...just can’t wait to go to Vallin, have to say that waiting this time for the end of December isn’t sitting well for me, but I am trying and your wonderful pictures aren’t helping. 

The only time I was sick on a ride, was my first time meeting Snowfarmer, we picked him up and went to Mekoos. One ride, dinner that night...Escargot and probably the sickest I have ever been. They loaded me into the back of a truck for the huge ride home, so bad I left my skidoo boots there somehow. I had dreamt that night that a helicopter picked me up on the little lake to take me to a hospital. I ruined the trip for sure.

We have an XRS850 and XRS900turbo on board this year, I won’t lie...I am almost ready to try the 4 stroke...but relucantly...I will say as well, the 850 is too fast for me. I felt like I went just a bit too far this time. I love it, but if you know me a little...I sometimes scare myself lol...and this thing pops wheelies. I am ready to tone back a bit and hope to do a big ride this season. Maybe start in North Bay Ontario and ride east into Quebec until I have to cross the Ferry.

I look forward to hearing more reports on which sled you prefer! And hope of course you get back to 100% soon!

Lindasledgirl 

19 hours ago, S pump said:

Howard, never realized you were Roadrunner on here.....:lol: Hopefully get a ride in this year with Carrier and crew. Try to keep the rubber side down.

SPump, Made it back to Moosehead Lake and oh what a sunrise this AM

I really enjoy the Carrier group, hope I get to see them this year. I think he is headed north this week with Early rider for a ride.

Fortunately the Flu only hit a few of the boys, it was violent and not fun to be one of those  afflicted. I did miss that flu .....I think ......fortunately,🤞

FloridaSnowman, on the Balaclava, I agree with you 100%. I will most always where one under the Oxygen Helmet.  It gives added neck protection in sub zero temps, helps when sliding the helmet over the ears, and I feel unnatural without it LOL. Probably everyone knows this but You might want to go a size bigger with the Oxy helmet, they seem to run small.

Linda, on the sled comparisons, I did make a mileage trip error earlier, 603 and I got 600 miles on the turbos, an 1350 on the BC’s, a little less than originally thought.   Still a nice week in total. And as implied early these sleds each have their own sweet spot.  The turbo owns the trail spot over the BC handsdown.  It hugs the trail, in all trail conditions, has smooth accelerations, great handling and the stand by R motion is a winner that we all have ridden!

We still find ourselves struggling with the BC when on the perfect groomed trail. The narrower front end and gear we carry amplifies that handling issue. But put the BC on a worn groomed trail and or single track trail or powder and it takes over with nimble light weight riding and great power, and great handling for the conditions.

We did take the turbo out on some single track riding and it does still give you the impression of the added weight up front. Not bad, but a heavier feel over the BC.

if I spent 70% or more on trail it would be the Turbo.... no questions for me.

the same percentage or more adventure riding, BC is the winner 

if you do 50/50, you just gotta have both!😁

Our next ride is after New Years

Merry Christmas to a all

Happy Trails

RR

C758AAAF-42E4-4831-9E92-7C01FC10DA6C.thumb.jpeg.e44be371b4cf50775ab89c5341b372e2.jpeg

Edited by RoadRunner

Roadrunner are you sure on the Oxygen helmet running small statement? I found the opposite to be the case, normally I wear a large helmet but had to buy a medium Oxygen helmet. Only wanting to clarify in case someone on here orders one. Could be I lost more brains too 🙄

32 minutes ago, Pipeman said:

Roadrunner are you sure on the Oxygen helmet running small statement? I found the opposite to be the case, normally I wear a large helmet but had to buy a medium Oxygen helmet. Only wanting to clarify in case someone on here orders one. Could be I lost more brains too 🙄

Pipeman, Thank you for questioning, It May be the brand your were wearing before?  I went from an  XL BV2 to a 2XL Oxy?   If your wearing a different helmet brand prior, that may be the discrepancy?  I had worn the BV2 since it came out, had 3 of them.

And I know I don’t need a bigger one as , for sure,  I am not getting any smarter 😂 LOL

3 hours ago, RoadRunner said:

Pipeman, Thank you for questioning, It May be the brand your were wearing before?  I went from an  XL BV2 to a 2XL Oxy?   If your wearing a different helmet brand prior, that may be the discrepancy?  I had worn the BV2 since it came out, had 3 of them.

And I know I don’t need a bigger one as , for sure,  I am not getting any smarter 😂 LOL

I was the same as you RR. I went from and XL BV2 with a balaclava to a 2XL Oxygen. 

2 hours ago, Pipeman said:

Nope my BV2’s and my modular are both large so who knows maybe they’re just varying between batches so to speak or my previous concern is true.....

Pipe, This certainly speaks to the issue that you raised, that if someone is able to locate one, you should try one on, first, if possible to make sure the size and fit is what you want for a feel.

I know for me, I expected to wear a balaclava , despite the recommendation that we didn’t need too, so I tried a XL with a balaclava on. Felt to tight for me, so I tried the 2 XL on and liked the feel better.

I am sure it’s a personal feel for each of us, so if your lucky enough to find one, try it on first if you can😁.

i have heard that there are no more available this season from BRP,  so you need to search for some laying around for sale if you want one this year.

Happy trails

RR

On 12/9/2018 at 7:47 AM, RoadRunner said:

I really enjoy the Carrier group, hope I get to see them this year. I think he is headed north this week with Early rider for a ride.

Fortunately the Flu only hit a few of the boys, it was violent and not fun to be one of those  afflicted. I did miss that flu .....I think ......fortunately,🤞

FloridaSnowman, on the Balaclava, I agree with you 100%. I will most always where one under the Oxygen Helmet.  It gives added neck protection in sub zero temps, helps when sliding the helmet over the ears, and I feel unnatural without it LOL. Probably everyone knows this but You might want to go a size bigger with the Oxy helmet, they seem to run small.

Linda, on the sled comparisons, I did make a mileage trip error earlier, 603 and I got 600 miles on the turbos, an 1350 on the BC’s, a little less than originally thought.   Still a nice week in total. And as implied early these sleds each have their own sweet spot.  The turbo owns the trail spot over the BC handsdown.  It hugs the trail, in all trail conditions, has smooth accelerations, great handling and the stand by R motion is a winner that we all have ridden!

We still find ourselves struggling with the BC when on the perfect groomed trail. The narrower front end and gear we carry amplifies that handling issue. But put the BC on a worn groomed trail and or single track trail or powder and it takes over with nimble light weight riding and great power, and great handling for the conditions.

We did take the turbo out on some single track riding and it does still give you the impression of the added weight up front. Not bad, but a heavier feel over the BC.

Merry Christmas to a all

Happy Trails

RR

C758AAAF-42E4-4831-9E92-7C01FC10DA6C.thumb.jpeg.e44be371b4cf50775ab89c5341b372e2.jpeg

Yah, I've been going back and forth with the Denis, probably ride in Maine this weekend. Valin, is too much windshield time. Hope o see you this season. We should be up most weekends, we have the house at Sky Lodge again this year.

1 hour ago, S pump said:

Yah, I've been going back and forth with the Denis, probably ride in Maine this weekend. Valin, is too much windshield time. Hope o see you this season. We should be up most weekends, we have the house at Sky Lodge again this year.

Let’s connect in Maine for a ride than, drag Denis along 😊

On 12/8/2018 at 6:34 AM, RoadRunner said:

Now that looks like a perfect one Linda!

The temps are dropping here this morning, I think it’s is Balaclava weather!

we had our biggest day yesterday for riding, a morning loop to the ski mountain, up the Bras Louis and down the Lake Laflame rd. Than an afternoon ride to Escoumin.  A fun 300 miles of perfect groomed trails and single track riding.

Th flu has made its rounds this week, so  any are heading south today.  Including yours truly.  1500 miles on the Back Country and 600 on the Turbo gave us a real good feel for these new sleds.

As we reported early, these sleds are BRP homeruns.  Anyone who has purchased one will be very pleased when they saddle up and hit the trails?

Pics that I am sure you all have seen when running 93 in Valin😁

Thinks Snow

RRF47AEFC4-9E95-49E5-956F-117F65B66758.thumb.jpeg.d09937e66be93f4628610da1421f9128.jpeg59D15802-4BAB-4EAE-9B49-159596FFBB00.thumb.jpeg.c7acbc5e74d1d38c387889d83154b2bb.jpegADD9D719-1232-455D-90DA-5DF31F79C068.thumb.jpeg.85e67ee8124aa1ebb4ac50a40633da62.jpeg

7DDB76AC-4F75-4329-9D3C-B5B366EAC920.jpeg

On 12/9/2018 at 7:47 AM, RoadRunner said:

Merry Christmas to a all

Happy Trails

RR

Thanks so much for the feedback...really very excited to try the Turbo and I look forward to the Oxygen too! I will agree with you on the balaclava, I will want the back of my neck well covered and my hair better not be floating around in there that makes me nuts. I am sure just like everything else, I will have to buy a few different balaclavas to see what I like best. I did order the light for the chin, don’t turn that on while you have it pointed in your eyes! And an extra cord...just in case.

LIndasledgirl

• 2 weeks later...

Looking like the conditions north of The Pelchat in Escoumin held up nicely. There was plenty of snow in the high lands here in early December as well.

certainly an opportunity to do a mini saddlebag trip to Valin, Forestville regions from here.

we are heading somewhere on the 4 th of January. Watching this region and MarkUS for his reports,  who is up in the Gouin region this week

Think snow!

RRC25EF8C3-8524-4434-8422-6DFB2E5E6AEF.thumb.jpeg.88bf187c7b35aa92b4d176a37f8668df.jpegA452588D-DFD6-4508-A155-5BAB539CC255.thumb.jpeg.01c8b8677079b3ab764cd943dc71bb0e.jpeg1A17F5F2-A739-4D70-92ED-C8FADE379162.thumb.jpeg.9634d3e349e80cebd2b6640c6f8a89b2.jpeg

Seems to be good snow cover around Gouin , Jonny says there's about 20" of ice one the Reservoir the problem is there's a very little snow on the ice as its been blown off from very smooth ice after the refreeze. Sanded logging  roads until the end of December are a issue as well for cross trail adventures . 

2 hours ago, dooright said:

Seems to be good snow cover around Gouin , Jonny says there's about 20" of ice one the Reservoir the problem is there's a very little snow on the ice as its been blown off from very smooth ice after the refreeze. Sanded logging  roads until the end of December are a issue as well for cross trail adventures . 

So what’s the agenda Randy

So RoadRunner, Trailblazer and all you adventurers. My days of the far, far away wilderness are far, far behind me. But I love reading your adventures of the deep wilderness.  With that said, I would think there would be a whole new world to explore above Chibougoumou  headed north towards Hudson Bay. What a vast area that must be. (hint, hint, and take lots of pics!).

mike