Trees and lots of them

iceman

Club Motoneige de la Mauricie and Club Motoneige Compté Champlain,(my club) seem to be the two affected the most. Lots of work ahead before a machine can pass. 

Thank you to all the clubs and their members that build and maintain the greatest snowmobile trails in the world!

16 minutes ago, Florida Snowman said:

Wow.  They have a lot of work to do. Give thanks to all the volunteers that make our great sport possible! 

Is crazy. The snow was heavy and then freezing rain on top. 

Article from today,

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1140789/la-saison-de-motoneige-pourrait-tarder-en-mauricie

Snowmobilers will have to be patient before setting off on the trails of the Mauricie. For several days, volunteers have been busy removing trees and branches that fell on the trails and their work is far from over.
The heavy snow that caused a lot of power outages almost two weeks ago has caused trees to crash, blocking snowmobile trails.

Men remove fallen branches
Snowfall caused trees to bend in Mauricie. Photo: Radio-Canada
Since then, fans of the Mauricie work to cut the branches that obstruct the passage using machinery and saws.

If we take the area of Grand-Mère, we have machinery with shovels, brush cutters, to try to open the trails as soon as possible.

Michel Lebrun, Communications Manager for the Mauricie Snowmobile Club
This week, only for the sector of Shawinigan-Sud, they are returned to about 100 hours "of arm oil," adds Michel Lebrun.

So far, volunteers have managed to clear 5 km of trail on the 300 km where snowmobilers can usually ride. Result: the beginning of the season will be still waiting.

With the arrival of snow, the world thought we were opening sooner, said Michel Lebrun. In my opinion, we will open like the other years. Mother Nature makes sure that we start our sport only in January.

The snowmobile club is appealing to volunteers who want to clear the trails that are still inaccessible.

congrats to the volunteers !!!

during summer i work with chainsaw and thinning saw ....my boss keep 1 or 2 weeks to clean roads...since 5-6 years...

working in the snow is a different world...you get exhausted a lots faster...wear more clothes !!!...not always funny !!!

i ve been there !!!

jean-guy

Might be awhile before I see a groomed trail here.....

Not sounding Promising the news from the club.

Voici les endroits où le sentier est fermé à cause des arbres qui sont tombés suite à la tempête 
St-Prosper TQ 3 sur l’ancienne voie ferrée 
St-Narcisse TQ 3 de chaque côté à partir du rang St-Félix sur la voie ferrée,soit en direction est et Ouest
Mont-Carmel TQ3 à partir du centre de ski vers Lac à la Tortue.
Les sentiers resteront fermés tant et aussi longtemps qu’il ne seront pas dégagés pour permettre le passage des surfaceurs. Ça va prendre des bénévoles si on veut faire de la motoneige. Contacté votre directeur de secteur pour plus d’informations

TRANSLATION....

Here are the places where the trail is closed because of the trees that fell after the storm
St-Prosper TQ 3 on the old railway
St-Narcisse TQ 3 on each side from Rang St-Félix on the railway, east and west
Mont-Carmel TQ3 from the ski center to Lac à la Tortue.
The trails will remain closed as long as they are not cleared to allow the passage of the surfacers. It will take volunteers if we want to snowmobile. Contact your area manager for more information

Edited by iceman

13 minutes ago, 800steve said:

We cleared down trees here in Vermont yesterday, but nothing like this. best of luck to these volunteers, thats slow work.

Steve it’s like a “treepocalypse” here it’s no joke. Gonna take time. 

Club Motoneige de la Mauricie is using the heavy equipment. My club is much smaller and claims they don’t have any budget to pay for machines. Believe me the people see the other clubs using the excavators and are asking why they don’t do it here. At least a dozen people have promised to not buy their pass from my club next year because of this. They are not happy that they bought a trail pass and now being told, “sorry not sure when we can open trails”. Too many trees. Not enough manpower and chainsaws to do the work. 

This is in St Matthieu I believe is on TQ 23

F60E08C7-AEE0-46F6-B494-7D5C7FBD5DD9.thumb.jpeg.5947c0c4eedade3a436080e89067eb9c.jpeg

B6BF1DA2-9F46-490A-9D95-A91CE392DD8A.thumb.jpeg.8d81fab16300edba4a1d64b32762c35d.jpeg

Edited by iceman

It is unbelievable what some people think buying a permit untitles them. That money is not enough to clear trails after an extreme weather event, just to maintain trails in normal conditions. Ice or flooding events are outside the norm. They can not chose not to pay their hydro bill after a power outage!

If someone could give me some specifics as to who to contact...as in who is co-ordinating the work? Maybe I can send some help?

Thanks,

LIndasledgirl

linda.miller@remax.net