towing's first ride Lac Blanc/Cabanon photo ride report 1st december 2018

towing

That's it, our first ride of the new season done yesterday in Lanaudiere! I would have liked before but  winter has taken us by surprise: A season starting with groomed trails in mid-November is a new record here and I was not ready at all. To summarize, we catch up well yesterday with extraordinary conditions for a first December.

Due to the early opening, there is still active wood work/transport that forces the clubs to adjust the trail network and the current map versions do not represent what is groomed. To show you our trip track, I use a gps map on which I have drawn in pink-purple our trip trace and an approximate of where #23 trail join on  the #345 (between the Cabanon and the Dam). For those who know well the area, it is the #31 road of the reserve which is several miles further north than what the sled interactive map currently indicates.

carte_zpsawuc3wu9.jpg

Our friend Snowcruiser joined us and we chose the Lac Blanc Outfitter near St-Alexis des Monts as a starting point which minimized the car travel of each. It turned out to be an excellent choice in all aspect

DSC06196_zpshpidxndx.jpg

We then took the # 350 trail north, also called the Gaston's trail for regulars in the area

DSC06201_zpshrettr4a.jpg

From the start the amount of snow to the ground left by the last week storm was impressive ...

DSC06208_zpsz73elm1r.jpg

But very quickly that's what was still hanging in the trees that amazed us

DSC06216_zpsfma0a3mq.jpg

DSC06219_zpsabp2yjn5.jpg
DSC06232_zpsctbeqfr7.jpg

The snowmobille club has clearly worked a good shot because despite it is an incredible beauty, the trails were completely blocked before the dozer passes. Good job guys!

DSC06244_zpsry3dsdpd.jpg

DSC06248_zpso3gbne7z.jpg

DSC06254_zpsha2yotan.jpg

We forked on the M10 trail in north direction to get the #23trail. On a short strech there were some small branches reminding us that it is the beginning of the season.

DSC06268_zps6f7eldzv.jpg

Otherwise,  next very nice.

DSC06275_zpswaukrc8p.jpg

A little further we took the #23 trail westbound. A little layer of new snow over the last grooming as well a couple trees fallen in the trail on the first miles (easily bypassed, just be careful)

DSC06280_zpsjpdoxvii.jpg

DSC06284_zpsrorfzxwc.jpg

Then back on freshly groomed trail. The sky has cleared and the sun was present, the snowy scenery has become even more beautiful

DSC06380_zpsnfs2f9z0.jpg

DSC06291_zpswic2sqau.jpg

Trail conditions are at their best on the #23.

DSC06299_zpsnxibhz4k.jpg

DSC06303_zpspvwxflgn.jpg

At the beginning of the ride on the #350 although the scenery was amazing, it was after storm conditions with a rather soft trail and not much grip on the skis. Here on the #23 a little less new snow on a good solid trail base allows us to ride at a good pace in full control with very little effort.

DSC06320_zpsj710xzsp.jpg

DSC06308_zpsmh2s3nth.jpg

We then took the #345/#23 trail (between the Taureau Dam and the Cabanon) in a south direction

DSC06326_zpsto3kqdkn.jpg

The amount of snow on the ground was  clearly less than when we start more east. The trail base is very good but thinner and traffic helping, some curves are a little swept. On the last miles before the Cabanon while the trail path leaves the reserve road to enter in the wood (on about 4 miles) it lacks some snow but not really bad.

DSC06334_zpseonwogur.jpg

We got at the Cabanon at around 11:30, pit stop for us and the sleds

DSC06343_zpsep9pe3yu.jpg

Many snowmobilers in the place and always as well received

dsc06343a_zpsgtbbsczt.jpg

After a good meal break, we leave to make the same track in the opposite direction.

DSC06345_zpstaq1oppc.jpg

DSC06369_zpszmsm1odk.jpg

The sun has accompanied us a good moment

DSC06380_zpsnfs2f9z0.jpg

DSC06364_zpshoypwdyp.jpg

We took a break at the intersection of the M10 trail that we then took in south direction

P1220467_zpstmrosihi.jpg

Another brief break at the other end of the M10 where the signage was a little deficient. We guided a couple sledders in the right direction and also briefly met 2 CMIQ forum's guys for the first time: Greetings guys !!!

P1220469_zpsae4jbvu6.jpg

The Gaston's trail was really the most spectacular end in terms of scenery

P1220485_zpssjm4nlwm.jpg

P1220490_zpsodzs3lnp.jpg

too bad that the sun had quit, in these tunnels it would have gave incredible scenery

P1220500_zpscskmeag0.jpg

P1220505_zps60cbsesl.jpg

Here a last break in front of the Lac Blanc outfitter

P1220521_zpsze80b1fm.jpg

All this big snow on the lakes before the big frosts has a worrying side however ... caution, it is still early in the season.

P1220525_zpsxcmharsl.jpg

We returned to the trailer with a total of 120miles in relax mode.
P1220529_zpscydir6ak.jpg

In summary a fantastic first ride for us, surprising snow conditions especially more to the east. The trail network is still very small and not interconnected so check the areas you want to go before you go there. I know that the logging will delay a bit the early opening of some sections but the playground will be able to expand anyway in the coming weeks

Check out the details here: https://www.snowmobilecountry.ca/en/conditions/

Wish you an happy and safe new sledding season to all of you !!!

Alain

20 hours ago, PLAYHARD said:

:good:

Merci beaucoup Alain!

We've missed your terrific reports!

But all is right in the world again!

Bienvenue Playhard! I had to admit we got an easy one to show you spectaculars pics on this first report

19 hours ago, SnomoGary said:

I'm  very jealous,  great report Alain thanks..

we are spoiled!!!! you are welcome Snomogary!

13 hours ago, actionjack said:

Super! I always appreciate your reports and the 1st always marks the “official” start of the season for me. 

Thanks Actionjack! hoping to meet you again on the trail this season...

7 hours ago, Shane said:

Awesome job Alain!  Thank you

thanks Shane! 👍

5 hours ago, dooright said:

2 days before ,this was trail 350 looked like 

20181129_121406.jpg

20181129_121347_HDR.jpg

Wow, the snowmobile club crew did an outstanding job in a short time...my hat to them...🏆

unreal scenery,  a real treat to open the season in there, like kids playing in the snow!

Edited by towing