need help planning trip

zrtkat

Hello

We are in the pre stages of planning our snowmobile trip to Quebec this year we would like to start  in Val-Dor and head East we would like to head towards the Gaspe, we are trying to see if we could cross the st Lawrence and do maybe 4 days and head back towards Val-Dor????

Do not know if this is possible or not we are going to ride for 10-12 days and we would like to get any suggestions on our trip we are fairly new to Quebec we are planning on mid February or so .

Thank -you

Zrtkat &Crew

Mid February is a beautiful time to do that trip,  you have several options of course but you can leave from Valdor and head north on the 93 towards Chibougamau and on to Lac St Jean area where I would take a day and ride in that area if you never have before. Then continue on the 93 towards Sacre Coeur or Forestville, from there. Also If you want you can take the PelChat trail across to Sacre Coeur instead of staying on the 93 the whole way. Once you pass La Chapelle it is on the left after a few miles, they will help you at La Chapell  if you are concerned exactly where it is but as long as you’re paying attention you can’t really miss it. Just make sure you fill up with gas at La Chapelle before heading across.  Then you can take the ferry at either Baie Comeau or Godbout across to Matane in the Gaspé were you could continue heading north east and circle it clockwise . Then continue on down through the Baie Saint Laurent area and the Chaudiere Appalaches region and take the shuttle  across ( which will be a van pulling an enclosed trailer that will shuttle you across to the other side at a little restaurant called Colibri). That takes place at the old Bernier‘s restaurant in Levi’s. Then head towards Shawinigan and  on up to Relais 22 or Windego and work your way across the 83 and back to Valdor.  I would also recommend starting from Temiscaming  on the Quebec side it will save your drive time and the trail up to Rouyn Noranda is a nice run.  You can fill in the blanks where you would want to stay but that is the general trip you were interested in. I hope you have a good group it is a long run but easily doable in your time frame just allow a day for incidentals you didn’t plan on happening . 😁

Edited by Pipeman

13 minutes ago, Pipeman said:

I hope you have a good group it is a long run but easily doable in your time frame just allow a day for incidentals you didn’t plan on happening . 😁

And weather.

I have done that trip a couple times in 10 days but leaving from Pointe a la Croix.  It is very doable as mentioned above, your group should be prepared to run a 250 mile per day average and possible a 300 mile day in there once or twice. My best recommendation is get a early start in the morning, ride steady, and plan to be at your destination before dark each day. You are going to see the scenery.  

Thanks for all the information this is a great site to get info for our trip, I will have to figure out our places to stay at each of our destinations.

How much does it cost to cross the river on the ferry ?????? we will be crossing twice on our trip.

Thanks again for all the suggestions 

Zrtkat & Crew

I don’t recall off the top of my head what the ferry crossing cost ( at Tadoussac it’s free) you’ll have to Google that and pay attention to the crossing times because they may not always depart from both towns  (BC & Godbout) each day check departing times for the date you wish to cross. make sure you’re there early to load. Then if you decide to take the shuttle at Levi’s last year that was $30 per person.   Again for the ferry crossing just do a Google search it is easy to find and make sure you put in the date you wish to cross because there are different departing times for winter than summer 

Edited by Pipeman

• 4 weeks later...

Hello we are still planning our trip to Quebec We got a lot of help so far from this site always very helpful ,I was wondering best place to stay  either  Baie Comeau or Godbout to catch ferry to Matane in the Gaspé were we will continue heading north east and circle it clockwise .And head down and take the shuttle back across ( thanks Pipeman for all your help) once we cross the ferry trying to figure out where we could make our overnight stay ???? 

Its very hard to plan our nightly stays when we are not familiar with the area so any input is greatly appreciated

Thanks 

Zrtkat & Crew

No place to stay in Godbout any more, the Travel Lodge is as good as any in Baie Comeau. The trail comes right into the parking lot. Also if you are off a little in your trip calculations and end up in Matane on the late crossing, the Quality Inn is right at the ferry terminal. 

Hôtel Le Manoir 8, avenue Cabot, Baie-Comeau Québec G4Z 1L8 (418) 296-3391

Its nice and 1 mile to the ferry.

Godbout is a small town with limited services. They do not have gas. Its 55 miles to Godbout from Le Manoir. The trail from Baie Comeau to Godbout is a roller coaster ride. I like this section its memorable. The last photo shows a 77 mile trip if you have extra time.

You have to look at the ferry schedule and see what works for the day you plan to cross. 

Baie Comeau 01.jpg

Baie Comeau 02.jpg

Baie Comeau 03.jpg

keep checking the ferry, it is broke down... not sure for how long , but it will probably be weeks... just a heads up before getting there and it is not crossing!!!