St-Alexis de Monts/St-Zenon photo ride-report 8 december 2018

towing

The conditions were already good in the Mastigouche Wildlife reserve during our last ride when they had received a good layer of big wet snow that had laid down several trees giving considerable work to the snowmobile clubs to open the trails, although they received another one that over-painted the scenery even more but also giving even more work to the snowmobile clubs to re-open a second time several trails they had already logged a week before and putting a layer on those that they had not had time to do. The work is not completed yet everywhere but it advances greatly.

After looking at the information on the open trails, I chose to go once more in the Mastigouche Wildlife reserve, but making a loop this time from the already ready trails. We therefore left the same starting point near the outfitter of Lake Blanc accompanied by Snowcruiser and Toxie. Brutally cold: -28C when starting at around 9:00 am Saturday morning (December 8th, 2018)

DSC06406a_zpse8ycuik3.jpg

As for the exact route, the current map of Lanaudière does not really represent what is groomed so it's difficult to show you on a map. We left the outfitter of Lake Blanc by the trail # 350, then the M10 and trail #23 to the west as our last ride but halfway in the reserve Mastigouche we forked to the south on the trail # 345. Currently if you continue this trail along its length it ended a few miles south of the Cabanon on #23. Halfway along the same trail, we took a fork on the left to go to Koubec Outfitter and then came back on #345 to have meal at Cabanon. In the afternoon we made the same trip as our last ride ie #345 north in dam direction and 12 miles from cabanon took the #23 east up to our  morning path that we redid in the opposite direction.

In terms of trail maps, I went to the sources and was told that an update for the interactive map and Imotoneige is on the way and should be done within a week to adjust those maps to the trails on the field in real

The trails had lost nothing of their beauty compared to the previous week. Here on the #350 near the Lac Blanc outfitter

DSC06410_zpsr4vfblm6.jpg

DSC06426_zpsqc3hzake.jpg

Toxie who ride in front of us broke in a brand new grand touring 900 ace in these beautiful trails that he also traveled for the first time

DSC06434_zpsuawues4u.jpg

DSC06440_zpsjl0psf0v.jpg

Snowcruiser who was with us had pass there last Wednesday and did a lot of zigzagging between the trees lying down to manage to pass after the 2nd layer of snow from last Sunday. Everything was perfect on this Saturday morning, a big thanks to the snowmobile club Mastigouche for their work and recent grooming!

DSC06458_zpspjuddcpn.jpg

The woman behind the camera: the one who takes all the pictures you see, who has been sharing my life for over 34 years and been on my  snowmobile back seat for almost the same time. She is also the mother of our 4 boys, the woman of my life. She does the meals and the laundry in addition !!! ..... lollll I love you darling !!!

DSC06464_zpslwpnncn3.jpg

We then forked on the M10 trail to the north, notice the snow ...

DSC06466_zps38jjtbzc.jpg

DSC06467_zpswyme4ced.jpg

And then took the #23 to the west. The difference compared to the previous week is obviously the better snow to the ground but especially the amount of snow hanging in the trees

DSC06479_zpsx5fjruau.jpg

DSC06484_zpsuzfrkfhi.jpg

Halfway in the reserve we forked to the south on trail #345

DSC06487_zpslxrys3ja.jpg

And switch again on the left to show the outfitter Koubec to Toxie. Everywhere trail conditions looks like of the end of January in the reserve

DSC06504_zpsqno0bmmo.jpg

The Mastigouche outfitter

DSC06512_zpsckiot71f.jpg

better known as Koubec by most snowmobilers. A real historical gem.

DSC06517_zps6ocnfphy.jpg

We then retraced our steps over several miles

DSC06534_zpsda9kguff.jpg

to take the back the trail toward the Cabanon in the Mastigouche Reserve

DSC06537_zpsipdpspmn.jpg

A little less snow going east but trees still well loaded and good ground cover

DSC06536_zpsdmln43ys.jpg

DSC06542_zps7ctddocw.jpg

We had arrived just a few miles south of the Cabanon. There is a little brownish snow around the Cabanon but nothing bad and everywhere else was beautiful

DSC06546_zpsdgbnqmkg.jpg

We stopped there to refuel the venture and us

DSC06548_zps39qbs7a3.jpg

We met by chance Bily a friend with whom Snowcruiser and I had already ride a couple time and he joined us with his daughter for a good sledder meal. 

DSC06549_zpsied8erdj.jpg

We then took the #345 trail north towards the Taureau dam

DSC06556_zpsludo7y6q.jpg

rear shot 

DSC06561_zpsm2qy9syw.jpg

And around 12 miles from the Cabanon we took the #23 trail toward east which takes the path of the Wildlife Reserve road #31 (indicated by big signs). The sun that had been present in the morning let place to some clouds with light snow

DSC06562_zpseodl5zf6.jpg

DSC06571_zpsstp7er7x.jpg

We took a short break at the fork to the south that we had taken in the morning. Kristine took the opportunity to  catch this nice shot of a small river next: superb!

DSC06578_zpsgkuvrkwy.jpg

We then continued on #23, the same morning path toward the trailer. Notice the amount of snow hanging in the branches everywhere

DSC06594_zpsjxjcerv3.jpg

DSC06596_zpssaokz0xn.jpg

We took a last little break before taking the #350

DSC06601_zpsmilyefev.jpg

The sky was already too dark for the pics but it was special to ride this trail that sometimes looks like a tunnel at the sleds lights

DSC06602_zpsssnwhoen.jpg

We got back to the trailer a little past 4:30 pm with a 136s very relaxed miles for the day, all 4 very happy with our ride

DSC06606_zpsvz5ntukx.jpg

In the summary, extraordinary conditions for the date for both snow to the ground and scenery. In fact, I don't remembered since I've been snowmobiling that I've seen such large area in Lanaudièrewith scenery so much snow painted in white by the sticky snow that froze there. They preview cold for the coming days so there will be  many other lucky people who will have the chance to admire these beauties of nature

Several clubs are still in the branch cut to open the trails but it is going well and the playground has grown considerably. Bily, whom we met at Cabanon, told us that he had left from St-Gabriel de Brandon(pretty much south) via trail #23 and everything was good on this side. As the clubs complete their work, they will officially open and you will see the details here: https://www.snowmobilecountry.ca/en/conditions/

an outstanding season start that is very promising for having some great riding in the christmas holidays. 

1 minute ago, Carman80 said:

Great report! I am heading to Le Cabanon on Weds. with three buddies, looking forward to 3 great days of early season riding. 

Denis will update you on the opened trails but on my side I really suggest you to go having a meal at pourvoirie du Lac Blanc on the east and another day to the repos on the north west. Conditions are exceptionnaly good for the date this year, in the best we got. Snow amount ar bigger when going toward east but not all trails ready in St-Alexis des monts

Alain

9 hours ago, actionjack said:

Amazing conditions.  Can't wait to get up and ride.  Thanks as always for posting your adventures.

Lucky we are to be able to enjoy those conditions, more west not enought snow and more east burried under fallen trees and branches!

7 hours ago, grumpysanta said:

SUPER  Job u guys . hope to get there soon , special start for the year for sure..thanks for trail info and thanks to your better half for photos.

You are welcome grumpysanta! 

6 hours ago, snowmaster2112 said:

Sorry I missed you Alain.  Sounds like we just missed each other at the 345/23 intersection by just a little bit.

i had a superb ride Friday/Saturday from LeCabanon and it appears you did too !!!!!

Glad to read you were in the area to enjoy those outstanding conditions. I figure we can't always have this lucky timing we got 2 years ago in La Vérendrye park !!! hoping to meet you again on the trails.