St-Alexis des Monts/St-Zenon take#3 photo ride-report 15december2018

towing

On Saturday, December 15 Krikri and I once again started our ride from near the Lac Blanc outfitter in St-Alexis des Monts accompanied by Steph, Snowcruiser and his friend Michel. My first idea was to go exploring on the #23 east side  but we had to adjust our plan and instead we had dinner at the St-Zénon village then in the afternoon made a loop between the Taureau dam and the Mattawin River Bridge and been back via #23 north toward our starting point, a total trip of 175miles.

The interactive map has still not been updated but this time I started the tracking on my  Inreach satellite beacon that generated me a gps track of my ride that I put on a snowmobile map to give you a real view of the current configuration in the Mastigouche reserve. I suggest you to keep this image as a reference. If anyone ever needed my .gpx track file you can contact me privately here or via facebook.

carte_zpsnpwt4it8.jpg

Cloudy sky and very mild temperature (around the freezing point since the evening before)at start so expecting softer trail base for the ride

DSC00002_zpsywqi6dpn.jpg

The trees were still snow loaded and just lose a bit during the day with the mild weather.

DSC00038_zps1sqoyni3.jpg

DSC00053_zpsescjlems.jpg

The trail was not just groomed (but ok) probably because of the mild weather and also the work overload for the club that ares still in branches cutting to open their other trails.

DSC00057_zpsv2bicerf.jpg

Once on the #23 trail, we tried  some exploration on the east side

dsc00091_zpsd97t57bn.jpg

but we have not done a quarter mile, the trail is still full of fallen trees. I read today on the facebook site of the Mastigouche snowmobile club that they decided to use the big machinery to open the remaining trails not done yet... not easy this season. This is the#23 trail  right in front in this pic and it's alot worst at many other places

DSC00092_zps3bs16w6e.jpg

So we turned back and took the #23 in west direction which was perfect

DSC00128_zpszlt6tzsf.jpg

towards the middle of the reserve, we forked  towards the south in Cabanon direction

DSC00148_zpsipglnoba.jpg

Just before arriving there is a miles along the plow road where the snow is dirty but it's not really bad

DSC00151_zps2tsajvff.jpg

We then switched toward the village of St-Zénon

DSC00166_zpswk2eti0h.jpg

It is a more mountainous segment which was more bumpy but we met the dozer in it

DSC00173_zpskb5vuuzy.jpg

We went at the gaz station a little south of the village of St-Zénon also hoping to eat at the next door restaurant but the restaurant was closed. It is supposed to open within a few weeks, according to the gaz station clerk. So we came back a little and went at an other restaurant just at the south entrance of the St-Zénon village.

P1220542_zpswtsri4zw.jpg

After lunch we retraced our steps

P1220553_zpszkij1bex.jpg

Pass the Cabanon

P1220572_zpsgoqblbex.jpg

And went to the Taureau reservoir dam

P1220592_zps2qkoasah.jpg

P1220595_zpstzop7i2x.jpg

We took a break there and then crossed the dam to do a loop via #360 trail up to the #345 junction

P1220602_zpswrlc3gx6.jpg

that we took toward south to cross the river by the bridge

p1220603_zpsv8r0saoh.jpg

p1220604_zpsnbnsvkfy.jpg

rear view

p1220605_zpsvjxupnif.jpg

We then rode down to the #23 junction where we took another break

P1220626_zpsivnohmwe.jpg

then taking the #23 east which is further north this year, on the #31 road of the reserve

P1220625_zpsl89yssj0.jpg

We then joined the morning path a little further and continued toward our trailers. Here taking the #350 trail at Gaston

P1220627_zpskoihapy3.jpg

We were back to the trailer around 5:30 pm with 175 miles on the dreammeter. The trails suffered a bit of the mild weather but kept better than  expected, a very nice ride overall.

The clubs continue to work hard to open the trails, the wood transport was ended on the 15 dec on the #360 toward Marineau so the trail network will continue to expand in the next day. 

Take a look here for the last new: https://www.snowmobilecountry.ca/en/conditions/

:bc:

Alain

47 minutes ago, VTrider said:

Awesome report once again Alain !!   How was the crossing at the Dam ?   My wife and I are planning to go back up right after Christmas.  

thanks VTrider! They upgrade the catwalk!!! it's no more a challenge, it have been widen on the whole length and the skeeze at the west end have been completely eliminated. 

4 minutes ago, hparaptor said:

Thank you for the report and pictures Alain.  

Cannot wait to get up there and start riding again

You are welcome hparaptor!Our area is handsome for the date, just hope  for some more snow  around to enlarge the trail network with connections toward the others areas

Alain....thanks for the update !!  Yes... I remember that being a challenge in the past when built up with ice.  My wife would freak out if I made her cross that in the past...haha.  Good to know its been upgraded.  We will be back up right after Christmas

Great as always Alain. What are you on now your 3rd or 4th ride....LOL

coming up day after Christmas for 4 days with a buddy and starting to bite my nails over the forecast for this coming Friday and Saturday. It does not look good and I hope the trails hold up.

Thanks Chris! it was our 3rd one in the same spot, really good for mid december! yeah I'm too worry with the forecast for the end of the week,,, with a bit colder than preview it will would be just perfect but rain and mild temp are not what we want right now... anyway we have no choice, just keep our fingers crossed!

I hate to be pessimistic but I think Friday & Saturday’s forecast is gong to be devastating to a lot of the regions that got (and have) good snow early. A lot of people’s Christmas week rides are either going to be cancelled or poor running. A half inch to an inch of rain followed by freezing temps and no appreciable snow after = concrete. Been there done that. I can find NOWHERE in QC that’s a safe bet next week.

As much as it pains me I think I’m going to be canceling plans soon. 

2 hours ago, snowmaster2112 said:

I hate to be pessimistic but I think Friday & Saturday’s forecast is gong to be devastating to a lot of the regions that got (and have) good snow early. A lot of people’s Christmas week rides are either going to be cancelled or poor running. A half inch to an inch of rain followed by freezing temps and no appreciable snow after = concrete. Been there done that. I can find NOWHERE in QC that’s a safe bet next week.

As much as it pains me I think I’m going to be canceling plans soon. 

Val d'or area seems like it will not be affected, fingers crossed...

Been eying there and surrounding areas all day. Seen this happen many times over the years where the colder air gets pushed over there to the west. But as usual they are behind on snow compared to many eastern/central areas and not officially open yet. But they do expect 8-10” new snow this weekend and another 2-4 next week. 🙂 I’m certain clubs will be open by then.