Do I even want to know ?

snowmaster2112

Ok, just like when a storm goes through everyone is dying to know what areas got hit the most and so on. Well yesterday’s weather event was pretty damn epic and wide spread and not the favorable kinda storm we all like. At this point it is eerily quite. Combine the holiday quickly approaching and people/websites not updating and it becomes very difficult to figure out what to do with our Christmas week snowmobiling plans. If any of you Québécois could fill us in with first hand reports of your area that would be great. And any ground reports from anyone/anywhere would be great too.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL

From the looks of the pics in Valin and Moose valley NB.  Looks like the base held in both places. Some cold weather, a storm for lubrications and at least we would be back to “preseason conditions”.  It would seem that areas with woods road bases in the traditional high snow areas would survive.  Interconnect ability may be an issue if you need to go thru areas with fields, low lands Ect to get to another destination. So working out of one area may be the best option.  Stay tuned, I wouldn’t rule out New Years weekend riding somewhere.

Laurentiens never got going, good snow base, but we were waiting for lakes creeks and swampy areas to freeze before opening trails. The rain has pretty much   Destroyed any snow base. Cold and snow in that order is needed.

1 minute ago, doo4adoo said:

Any word on how much they got and from what area north?

Thanks 

Take a look at my post above, dark blue indicates 40 - 50 inches on the ground; Ville Marie North and East are good to go and the groomers are on the move, should be great riding there this week.

Did not by any means loose all snow here and surrounding Shawingan. Surely will bounce back with cold and one good storm. The freeze is back on and light flurries all afternoon but nothing crazy less than 1”. Just enough to make it deadly to walk on the glare ice in the driveway from all the rain. 

Thanks for the update guys. It’s a damn shame after how good things were going early this year that a major setback occurred.

i had a FANTASTIC first ride out of Zenon on Dec 7&8th. 

that Mother Nature is one nasty bitch. I changed plans days ago and My buddy and I are heading way north and west as it was pretty clear days ago that would be about the only option. Trouble is the Abitibi was pretty low on snow with FEW trails officially open and just got a little more yesterday. Many trails still are not open and everything is FAR from interconneced. The iMotoneige updates in the next couple of days along with trail updates will tell if its really worth the trip or not.  

We got hit pretty much, 36mm rain here at home and 21 mm in St-Zénon area. From the early reports I got the trail base is still in shape in the north, and dozers are supposed to begin to work tonight or tomorroy (it begin to freeze up there in the middle of today).  Cabanon and St-Michel snowmobile clubs have both posted information telling this via their facebook pages, links here:

On my side, I am on the edge to try it tomorroy or not... I will decide tomorroy morning. With the christmas partys and a family project we have, it is my last chance until 2019.

If I go I will report as usual...

Keep smiling, the season is young!!!

Alain

I have more encouraging news on my side:

finally this morning I checked the interactive map to try to figure the grooming and there was nothing updated 5:00 am so, having alot others things to do for christmas i choked and stayed home. around 10:00 am Lionel from La Glacière  posted those 2 videos... regreted my decison!

The dozers have begin to operate only this morning to let the time for the base to freeze. The snow cover still seems really good, and the trail bases doesn't seems to have suffered too much. I saw few facebook comments that pointed in the same direction as for the conditions: hard base, ok after groomer work. St-Michel snowmobile club is supposed to worked their trail also today and tonight. 

I saw a picture of trail damage by water in St-Donat but nothing bad in St-Zénon area.  It seems the trails bases are good for an after thaw condition. 

It's what i have for the moment. Having miss this morning my last chance to ride this year, I have to go at work tomorroy and wait until 2019 for more riding so unfortunately, don't wait for a ridereport from myself for a couple weeks. I will do internet riding!!!

Alain

Edited by towing