Ferry Breakdown

iceman

No service Matane/Baie Comeau-Godbout for at least several weeks. 

https://www.tvanouvelles.ca/2018/12/21/inconcevable-de-ne-pas-avoir-un-bateau-disponible

The Quebec government has not found any boats across the country to replace the ferry "F.-A.-Gauthier", which has suffered a major break and will be unusable for several weeks.

"We have no solutions," Transport Minister François Bonnardel announced Friday to motorists planning to cross the St. Lawrence River. The "F.-A.-Gauthier" normally provides the Baie-Comeau-Matane-Godbout link.

The best short-term option is air travel. Four flights a day take off from Mont-Joli and return from Baie-Comeau an hour later. A total of 50 seats are available on these devices.

François Bonnardel indicated that flights to Sept-Îles could be added as of Saturday.

To stay in your vehicle, you can travel south and take the Saint-Siméon-Rivière-du-Loup crossing, where a return trip has been added. The closest bridge is in the Quebec City area.

An arrow against the former government
For François Bonnardel, not having a replacement boat in a fleet as large as that of the Société des traversiers du Québec (STQ) is "inconceivable".

The minister indicated that the STQ could have bought a used boat in the last year if the former government had processed this request.

François Bonnardel assured that this situation will be corrected in 2019.

That is huge!  I saw a report early last week say the ferry would be down till at least Friday. Sounds like it woofed its cookies!!  The ferry always made for such a nice loop going through Quebec City one way and the ferry on the other.  I believe the ship runs on natural gas, I am guessing that has something to do with the lengthy repair time.  It is hard to find a replacement for this boat where it needs to be strongly reinforced for ice breaking. Hope it gets repaired sooner then later.

When a transport minister calls airplanes “devices”, i think i would seek alternate transportation to the proposed alternate transportation devices 🤣

A total of 50 seats are available on these devices.

15 minutes ago, NH-Moose said:

A total of 50 seats are available on these devices.

That’s just the translator from the original article in french.

bad translation. 

Edited by iceman