2019 Jack & Sandi's trips

revct1

Hi everyone.  It tis the season.  It has been a long 10 months.

Sandi and I drove up Thursday.  I was nice to the Chevy and put brakes on it before we came up.  164,000 miles and I figured it was due.

We leave home 4:00 AM Thursday.  No traffic on the highway.  The trailer and sleds are already in Canada waiting for us.  Half way thru Massachusetts and the truck gives a little jerk and the warning lights come on the dash.  Oh no!  We have waited too long.  The truck is telling me "Check Traction Control".  No we don't want to turn around.  I call OnStar for diagnostics.  They give me the code number and tell me it should be checked within 7 days. 

OK it isn't fatal.  The truck feels alright.  We will continue on and hope for the best.  We stop at a rest area in Vermont for a bathroom break.  When I start the truck up, no warning lights.  Ah.  We are good to go.  Up to Valcourt and hook up the trailer.  Sleds loaded, pick up a few things and we are back on the road.  Up route 55 and run 20 to Motel Bernieres.  We get off and fill up the truck.  I start it up and no, the warning lights are on again.  At this point it is 2 hours to Chicoutimi and 6 hours back home.  I would rather be in Chicoutiimi.  We can bring the truck to a Chevy dealer and if it takes them a couple of days to get parts and fix it, we can at least be riding.

Well!  The truck won't shift into high gear on the highway.  I get off and pull into a parking lot.  I shut the truck off and start it back up.  Maybe it will re-boot and clear the warning.  No such luck this time.  We get back on the highway heading north and the best we can do is about 45 mph without over revving the Duramax.  It is a long 3 hour ride thru the park.  We arrive at Hotel Sagunneene.

We check in, get our room and make plans for tomorrow.  A little supper and off to bed.  Vacation is suppose to be fun.

Jack & Sandi

Don't leave us hanging Jack. How does it look for snow in the area. Does Sandy have her new 600R? Did she buy it in Canada or the U.S.?

We'll have you up all night answering questions.  lol

Look forward to your reports, and have fun.

mike

1 minute ago, mikerider said:

Don't leave us hanging Jack. How does it look for snow in the area. Does Sandy have her new 600R? Did she buy it in Canada or the U.S.?

We'll have you up all night answering questions.  lol

Look forward to your reports, and have fun.

mike

I know, a little help.... please....

We are on our way up tomorrow.

GutZ

Hotel Sagunneene looks beautiful...Is the trail as easily accessible as it is from the Delta ? Fuel ? One stop shopping ?

Sorry to learn of the duramax issue ? Hope you can get the truck in for service in a timely fashion with the upcoming weekend & holiday schedule / hours the local GM dealer will likely maintain .

Look forward to our paths crossing this season.  Happy New Year !

Paddy O 

Edited by nyskidooerinnewhampshire

It is Friday morning.  We have to get the truck checked today.  With the holiday coming up, I don't know what the hours will be at the dealership so we better try to get it in today.  We go down to breakfast and hey, there is Jay and Christina.  We met them here last year.  They tell us the trails around town are poor and they are going to trailer to Mont Valin.  We have the truck to deal with first.

There is a Chevy dealer just a mile from the hotel.  Off we go.  The dealer says if we can wait  an hour, they will get it in at least check it.  We have to get it fixed so we sit and try to relax.  The service tech comes back and says it needs a transmission control module and they happen to have one on the shelf.  It will take about a half hour to swap it.  I tell him to go ahead.  Got to get it done.  Its not cheap but I won't have to stress over the truck now.  I was hoping just to get it checked out and it is going to be repaired today.  That is a plus.  A short while later, here is the credit card and the truck is back on the road.

Back at the Sag, it is too late to trailer to Valinuet so we suit up and head out on the sleds.  Sandi is on her new 600R MXZ X.  It looks good.  Maybe one of these days I will get to try it.  Yea, wishful thinking Jack.

The local trail is a little rough getting to 83 but that is expected.  83 has had some traffic on it but it is thin.  Where it is wind blown, it is rough.  In the woods the trail isn't bad, thin but doable.  We head over to the Delta.  We have heard about Boston Pizza being there.  83 has been re-routed.  There is about a 5 mile stretch that is changed.  It is easy enough to follow, just a little different.  

We get to the Delta and notice there isn't an enclosure for the trucks.  Usually the snow is plowed to form a bank but all the snow is pushed back to the property line.  A few Ontario rigs in the parking lot.  We park the sleds and go inside.  Suzie is at the counter.  We chat with her for a bit. 

We go over to the restaurant and it is a Boston Pizza.  It has taken the place of the old restaurant and most of the bar area.  The bar is still there but is really part of the restaurant now.  All new seating and booths.  It looks really nice.  We take a look at the menu and there is a pretty good selection.  I was worried that it would be a pizza only menu but its not.  They have salads, pasta, chicken, fish, meat and of course the pizza.  It is mid afternoon so its not time to eat but we look forward to trying this out.

Back on the sleds and we continue on heading towards the aluminum bridge.  Same thing, some parts good and some parts of the trail not so good.  We don't cross the bridge but continue on the trail back towards Chicoutimi.  Just a short ride today.

Like we were told, the trails around town are passable but rough in spots.  We will get a report from Jay and Christina tonight about Valin.  It might be a trailer ride to Valinuet in the morning.  The forecast  is cold weather and a little more snow the beginning of the week.  We are riding until January 2nd and trucking home on the 3rd. 

Sandi likes the 600R.  She only has today's miles on it but she is smiling.  Not really enough time to get a good feel for it yet but the smile says that the sled is good.

Until tomorrow, sleep well and dream of snowmobiling.

Jack & Sandi

Hi Mike,

Sandi has the 600R.  I think this is going to be a favorite.   Each year the sleds get better.  It makes me wonder how the manufacturers keep making improvements.  Things that we could only hope for fifteen twenty years ago are making the sleds more comfy for us "senior" riders.  ☺️

Hi GutZ,

The roads should be clear for you tomorrow.  They were icy today.   We spoke with Chris who drive up from Mass today and he said he saw many  accidents.  Take it easy and have a safe trip.  See you when you get up here.

Hi NY,

The Delta is literally on trail 83.  The Saguenneene trail spur from 83 is about a mile long thru town but it doesn't seem like it.  On the spur, there is an Ultramar, La Cage, a grocery store, bank, etc.  Similar to the Delta in that there is plenty of stores to spend our American dollars in.  My post in between, the truck is up and running.  There isn't anything a credit card can't fix!

Jack & Sandi

Hi Jack and Sandi-we are interested to hear about the secure parking at the Delta.   Is the corral gone because there isn’t enough snow?   

Sandi should love the 600R.   I love my short track.   You lose a little in floatation but they are so easy to ride!   Enjoy your trip!

Pam and Russ

Hi RR,

It is so good to be back on the sled although the snow isn't great here in town.  The warm up did a little damage but I remember past years where there hasn't been any snow on the ground until you trailered half way up to Valinuet.  Jay and Christina were up on Valin today and said the conditions are better there.  I think we are heading that way tomorrow in the truck.

Hi Dave,

I thought Sandi was four stroke forever but she is falling for this lighter two stroke.  The Gen 4 chassis and new front end is a big step up in the handling department from the 1200.  Sandi did say the suspension was a little stiff.  I told her maybe if there was a little more weight on the sled it would break in the suspension for her.  Maybe a 220 lb rider would do the trick.  She didn't fall for it.

Hi Pam & Russ,

Suzie at the Delta didn't give us an explanation for no enclosure.  During past years the Jersey barriers and the gate would be in position and this year there is nothing.  To me it looks like no enclosure.

Jack & Sandi

Hello all! I am at Passion in Mont Vallin. Trails report from my friends that ride today say it’s better than sitting at home with an umbrella. We didn’t get much new snow today, but no rain. I will know first hand tomorrow. It’s rideable, just have to behave there is a lot of ice. Friends at the Delta trailer to the parking lot here at the ski hill.

Lots of families here, ski hill is packed. Vincent’s has bar lined up down the street and that parking lot packed. The restaurant pipe burst so no food. Bought a crockpot at Costco lol

Should have a better report tomorrow. 

Lindasledgirl

Good  Morning Folks,

A little dusting overnight.  The temperature is dropping today.  It is -7 C now and the forecast is for -16 C by tonight and then -23 C overnight.  No snow over the weekend but the forecast is showing 10 - 15 cm for Monday Tuesday, Dec 31st Jan 1st.  Hopefully that will fill in the trails a little in town.  The RDL area is forecast for 15-25 cm.  Heads up Mike.  The snow gods are getting the trails ready for your homecoming!

Today we are going to trailer to Valinuet.  I hear you.  It is the weekend and there is limited snow elsewhere.  It maybe busy there.  Oh well we have to take the good with the bad.  It is still vacation.

The grooming map hasn't updated yet this morning.  Yesterday's map shows 93 had been groomed.  I figure the groomers will get as much done over the weekend and then take the holiday off.  Time for breakfast.  See you tonight.

Jack & Sandi

6 minutes ago, 182ray said:

The Mafia blocks for truck corral at the Delta were moved for the grand opening of the Boston Pizza 

The truck corral will be back in place shortly 

So they paid their "Dues" and the blocks are going back up? 

The Hotel Sagunneene...It looks very nice but how safe are the sleds there? I think its close to the La Cage Aux Sports and if I recall there were some thefts there last year? We have always stayed at he Delta, is there an advantage to staying at the Hotel Sagunneene?

Also can you take the bridge in Chicoutimi accross to Monts Valin or do you have to go over the dams in Jonquerie?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, SudburySledder said:

The Hotel Sagunneene...It looks very nice but how safe are the sleds there? I think its close to the La Cage Aux Sports and if I recall there were some thefts there last year? We have always stayed at he Delta, is there an advantage to staying at the Hotel Sagunneene?

Also can you take the bridge in Chicoutimi accross to Monts Valin or do you have to go over the dams in Jonquerie?

Thanks!

Hot Tub. Driving you can take the bridge, sleds over the dams.

How's the new beaver skin mittens working.  I think you got new ones last spring. 

9 hours ago, scorpionbowl said:

It’s going to be a zoo up there for sure. For at least one day, I would consider the black trail to La Baie or St. Felix to get you to the Claremont express, you know it’ll be great and quiet around there.

Hi Gary,

Is there a place to park the truck and trailer at either place?  That would be a nice option.  I don't want to just leaver the rig without permission.

Jack & Sanid

7 hours ago, 182ray said:

The Mafia blocks for truck corral at the Delta were moved for the grand opening of the Boston Pizza 

The truck corral will be back in place shortly 

Hi Ray,

That will make a lot of people happy.  Boston Pizza looks better than I expected.  Hopefully the change of menu will attract more customers.  

Jack & Sandi

Hi Mario,

If Boston Pizza filled the parking lot, that is a good sign.

Hi Jay,

Thanks.  We enjoy reading other posts so posting our rides is just doing our humble share.

Hi Sudbury,

Steve has you covered.  The bridge is just for auto / truck traffic.  You have to use the aluminum bridge with the snowmobiles to get on the north side.  There are two hooped tents you can park the sleds in.  If you take precautions like anywhere else, you should be fine.  We always get a first floor room facing the parking lot.  They have an exterior door and you can usually park your sleds right outside your door.  The local spur coming in runs right next to La Cage.  The only theft that I heard about last year was a tonneau cover for a pick up bed.  Yea it sounds strange.

Hi George,

Not cold enough for the beavers.  I can't wait to try them out though.  Thanks for asking.

Hi Terry,

We've been waiting all year too.  We might be heading to RDL the week of January 13th.  Not a sure thing but one of the possibilities for our next trip.  Hope to ride with you this year too.

Jack & Sandi