2019 Jack & Sandi's trips

revct1

This morning we decide to bite the bullet and trailer to Mont Valin.  The truck ride over and then suiting up in the parking lot is always a chore but we will do it in hopes of some good trails.

We get the sleds in the trailer and put our gear in the truck.  The other rigs here are doing the same thing.  It is a 45 minute ride over.  The roads are slushy but no problems.  We pull into the lot at Valinuet and there are quite a few rigs here.  It isn't packed but filling up.  OK Sandi it is time to suit up before we get cold.  Unload the sleds, get our gear on and head out.  We are heading up 93.  I figure 93 is only going to get worse as the day wears on and the grooming map shows that it was groomed two days ago. 

Well two days of sleds around Valinuet is like a month's worth of sleds anywhere else.  Yep its rough.  Maybe it will get better!  About 5 miles out it does get better but it still isn't good.  Sandi says she is getting beat up on the MXZ.  She says it is tossing her around too much.  Like a good Samaritan I offer to swap sleds with Sandi.  What?  I can.  Really?  Sandi gets on the Renegade and off she goes.  She is riding faster.  I'll just have to endure riding this brand new 600R.  Report to follow.

We get  to local trail 267 that cuts back to Bras Louis.  This looks better.  Lets take this Sandi.  No sense in beating ourselves up if we don't have to.  Off we go.  This is much better.  Now I feel like we are in Quebec.  This wasn't groomed last night but it doesn't get the traffic that 93 gets. 

Zipping along we meet a few sleds coming at us.  Everyone is behaving today and staying on their side of the trail.  Bras Louis is just fine.  We get to the intersection with 477 that goes to Onatchiway and there are few sledders taking a break.  Go ahead Sandi.  I don't need a break yet.  Ah!  Another nice trial.  A little overcast now and a few flurries in the air.  What a good ride this is on this new sled.  I better not tell Sandi that this rides much better on smooth trails.  Not yet anyways! ☺️

We pull into Onatchiway and as expected, there are a lot of sleds here.  They can serve up a lot of people in a short period of time here.  We go inside and get a seat.  We get waited on right away.  Soup and a club sandwich to split sounds good.  People leaving and more people coming in.

After lunch we take a look at trail 476 that goes to St David.  This hasn't been groomed in a long time.  There are sled tracks on it but the trail is not in good shape.  Lets go back the way we came.  The trail always looks different from the opposite direction and its still snowmobiling.

We get to Bras Louis and turn right.  Very, very nice.  Sandi is running along and I'm tasting the snow dust.  Its a little cool up here on the mountain.  No stopping now.  Sandi makes quick work of the fifteen or so miles back down to trail 93.  I thought she didn't like the 850 Renegade.  Can't prove that today.

A little too early to go back to the truck so we turn right on 93 and keep heading down the mountain.  As we drop down, the trail does get worse.  Some snirt on the hills and corners.  The straight runs are good.  We get to the intersection with 328.  The trails show a fair amount of traffic in all directions.  This is far enough for us today.  We u-turn and head back up 93.

We are back at the truck.  OK time to load back up, get most of our gear off and head to the Sag.  Not a big day but it was a nice ride overall.  93 was rough but that is true most of the time.  There is more snow on the mountain than down in town.  The lower elevations are passable but could use more snow.

Not sure what to do for tomorrow.  We will see what the other riders experienced today and then make our decision.

Next post on the 600R.

Jack & Sandi

Now for the report on the MXZ X 600R.  Like I always say, I'm not pushing one brand over another.  I think all sleds have good points.

It is peppy.  It has a very smooth power band through out the rpm range.  I do like the cable to throttle so much better than the fly by wire that the 1200 had.  A lot of riders don't seem to mind it but I just can't get the feel for the fly by wire (ETC). 

Handling is fun.  We did put the Bergstrom triple points on it and the stock carbides to the outside of the skis.  Please don't start up a debate on carbides.  That isn't my intention.  You can read DooTalk for that. 

I do feel the difference in the shorter 129" track vs the 137" on the Renegade.  The MXZ X we did not stud.  It does have the ice ripper track though.  I realize this makes a big difference in how it handles.  The back end feels lighter with the shorter track AND without the studs.  It will drift around corners a little.  With that said, it can make you smile!

It is getting just a smidgen better in gas mileage than the 850 as expected.  I realize we don't buy these toys with mileage being the first thing on our mind but it is part of the package.

We do have a medium windshield on order.  The short windshield is cold.

Overall it is another fun sled.  It will take many more miles to decide whether we prefer the 129" track or the 137".  I lean towards the 137".

Jack & Sandi

Hi guys just some insight on what we saw today.  We left from Herbertville heading north on 23.  Trail is passable fields have some bare spots and rocks showing.  As we got closer to Alma and 93 trails got better and we're groomed recently.  Now for the problem. 93 is closed between 367 and local 134.  Heading north we went 367 to 328 back to 93 north.  We got gas at the ski resort and turned around trails were rougher up that way as we headed up 93 to Auberge 31.   On way back we passed 328 and continued on 93, to find  93 closed  a ways downs with a detour sign at local 134.  So down local 134, which is not signed great, and shares some of a atv trail. Great of the view of the fiord on the local trail.  Then back up 367 to saint Ambrose to hook back up to 93. This trail was probably the best trail we rode all day.   

2 hours ago, revct1 said:

Hi Gary,

Is there a place to park the truck and trailer at either place?  That would be a nice option.  I don't want to just leaver the rig without permission.

Jack & Sanid

Good point, I just have my truck with no trailer so I can park anywhere. I would think you would find something along the way in La Baie, In St Felix the gas stop used to have a restaurant, but now it’s just a credit card pump last time I was there, so you could probably park there, others may know better...

Jack last week there was good coverage on 383 and the farther east and south you got the better got. 83 down to Clairmont and up the mountain towards Du Ravage also had great snow. La Malbaie also try South and east. This was pre rain FWIW. 

Hi Blueblood,

I saw that part of 93 was skipped from the groomer map.  There must be an issue with that part of 93.  Hopefully it is just swampy and the groomer can't get thru.  That is a relatively new section of 93 that was rerouted because of land owner permission if I remember right.  I hope that hasn't happened again.

Hi Gary,

Thanks.  We might try ring out of the hotel in the morning.  Still giving it some thought.

Hi Don,

We will talk in the morning.

Hi Phil,

I saw that the lower part of 83 was groomed not too long ago.  Still undecided for tomorrow.  Maybe Mount Apica?

Jack & Sandi

Hi Jack, great to see your reports again love to ride along  with you and Sandi sat here on the sofa better still 37 days and we'll be there.... keep them  coming see you soon.

Hi Don, Boston pizza looking great best wishes to you and the brothers,  think you'll have company on Monday lunch  time in the shape of Bill JD and Pepper. And we'll see you  as well very very soon  think snow ..

Gary and Pat.

Edited by SnomoGary

Thanks RR.  We are staying off Valin today.  I think we will ride out of the hotel and head south.  I know it will be rough for a bit but we won't have to deal with traffic.  Once we get up in elevation, I think it will be good.

Hi Gary & Pat,

Feb 5th is marked on the calendar.  I'm not sure what day we will be there but definitely for part of the time.  Check out Boston Pizza's menu.  It should be online.  They have ribs!

Jack & Sandi

I just noticed the reroute for 83 between Chicoutimi and Jonquiere on the groomer map.  There are two junctions where 83 meets 367 a few miles apart.  The lower 83 closer to auto route 70 is the old 83.  The 83 north of that is the new reroute.  Today the reroute happens to be in green and the old 83 is in white.  It is easy enough to follow.  Just interesting that both are shown on the map.

Jack & Sandi

2 hours ago, revct1 said:

Thanks RR.  We are staying off Valin today.  I think we will ride out of the hotel and head south.  I know it will be rough for a bit but we won't have to deal with traffic.  Once we get up in elevation, I think it will be good.

Hi Gary & Pat,

Feb 5th is marked on the calendar.  I'm not sure what day we will be there but definitely for part of the time.  Check out Boston Pizza's menu.  It should be online.  They have ribs!

Jack & Sandi

Lol Pat has already  said to ask you about  rib tickets 😂😂😂

Edited by SnomoGary

16 minutes ago, 182ray said:

Ginger and I already have our rib tickets for this season...can’t wait to use them 

👍👍👍

Ray 

when do you and Ginger plan to be at the Delta?

This morning the groomer map light up like a Christmas tree.  We know there isn't a lot of snow in some spots but smooth dirt is a lot better than bumpy dirt.  We are going to stay off of the mountain and we prefer not to trailer.  Mt Apica is a possibility but weekend traffic coming up from down south might hinder trail 23.  83 was groomed down just past the Ravage cutoff.  Hmm!  OK we will try 83 to L'Anse Saint Jean.  There is a good restaurant there and gas.  That doesn't sound right but you know what I mean.

We spoke with the GutZ boys and they are ready for a ride.  Understand that the word "ready" means different things to the Gutz boys sometimes.  They are at the Delta so they are going to meet us at the intersection on 83 with the spur to the Sag.  Sandi and I tank up before we leave and sit at the intersection .  Tick tock tick tock.  OK they are running behind.  Lets head towards the Delta.  Sandi takes off and a couple of miles before the Delta here they come.  They had issues getting one of the sleds started but everything is alright now.

Sandi and I u-turn and the four off us are on our way.  Yea it is a little rough.  Some off the fields still have the rocks showing but we push on.  We get to Bec Scie and the trail is looking better.  The snow is still thin but the rocks and sticks are disappearing.  By the time we get to La Baie and start going up in elevation, 83 is getting really good.  The groomer had a little snow to work with and now it is starting to look like winter.  Off we go.  Not seeing much oncoming traffic.  For a Sunday this is unusual but it is cold.  The locals stay in when its cold and the tourists are up on Mont Valin.

We make good time down to the 383 cutoff.  We take 383 and this is super.  The trail is familiar to Riviere Eternite but from there to L'Anse Saint Jean I think has been rerouted.  It might just be me because we haven't been here a lot of times but the GutZ boys feel the same way.  Either way it is a good ride.

At L'Anse Saint Jean we have lunch and gas up the sleds.  Lets take the 501 over the mountain to get back to 83.  This was groomed last night and there hasn't been much traffic on it.  A few sleds coming at us but not many.  It doesn't take us long to get to the 83 junction.  We hang a right and start heading north.  The first few miles are a little rough and then we get to the turn around for the groomer and it is beautiful.  Looks like mid season here.  There is lots of snow and the trail is flat and smooth.  Giddy up guys.  We are off and running.  It is a fantastic ride.  The sun is starting to go down now.  We are almost back at Bec Scie.  Not to much further to Chicoutimi but the rough stuff is coming up.  As we knock off the last ten miles, the trail doesn't look so bad at night.  Maybe because you can't see the rocks.

Back at the spur to Chicoutimi, we bid farewell to the GutZ boys and head back to the Sag.  They have a few more miles to the Delta.  Other than the first and last ten miles, it was a really nice ride.  Better than I had expected.

Tomorrow I think we will ride out of the hotel again.  If we put up with a few bad miles but the rest of the day is good, I would rather do that than trailer.

Jack & Sandi

On 12/29/2018 at 6:24 AM, revct1 said:

Good  Morning Folks,

A little dusting overnight.  The temperature is dropping today.  It is -7 C now and the forecast is for -16 C by tonight and then -23 C overnight.  No snow over the weekend but the forecast is showing 10 - 15 cm for Monday Tuesday, Dec 31st Jan 1st.  Hopefully that will fill in the trails a little in town.  The RDL area is forecast for 15-25 cm.  Heads up Mike.  The snow gods are getting the trails ready for your homecoming!

Today we are going to trailer to Valinuet.  I hear you.  It is the weekend and there is limited snow elsewhere.  It maybe busy there.  Oh well we have to take the good with the bad.  It is still vacation.

The grooming map hasn't updated yet this morning.  Yesterday's map shows 93 had been groomed.  I figure the groomers will get as much done over the weekend and then take the holiday off.  Time for breakfast.  See you tonight.

Jack & Sandi

Hi! Are you at Passion? We are in the log cabins. 106 I think. We will be having coffee in the morning likely won’t ride till 10, if you go by please stop in! We are back by dark. New Years fireworks tomorrow. 

Hope to see you!! You won’t miss my helmet lol

lindasledgirl 519-381-7002

19459150-1949-40C4-8B4A-A1FC2D8F15A2.jpeg

Good morning Linda.  Sandi and I are at the Saguenneene in Chicoutimi.  If we can't ride out of town, we trailer to Valinuet but prefer riding out of the hotel.  Yesterday we had 10 miles or so of bad trail and the rest of the day was great.

Jack & Sandi