2019 Jack & Sandi's trips

revct1

On 1/1/2019 at 7:33 AM, smclelan said:

Thanks for the full trip details, just like being there. I like Relais des Lacs as well, a great spot. Have a good ride today and safe ride home tomorrow.

Hi Stephen,

It is a nice stop.  Always very clean.  The workers are great and the food is good.

On 1/1/2019 at 8:23 AM, Phil 1 said:

Happy New Year 🎆 

You have a hell of a memory or must take notes... 😁 Thanks for the reports.

Hi Phil,

I don't know.  I just turn on the tape recorder when I ride and then play it back at night.  Don't ask me what I had to eat two days ago though. ☺️

Jack & Sandi

Thanks for tagging along with us Baysville and Playhard.  I try not to mention the green and yellow trails too much.

Pat and Gary, we will see you in a few weeks.

Jak and Mike, it is a sharp looking sled.  The color really pops out.  It happens to match the accents on my jacket.

Hi Ray.  I wonder who could have leaked that photo?  We will start an investigation and take that smart phone away when we find the person.

Jack & Sandi

4 hours ago, jak said:

Always an adventure.

Hi Jak.  Yes it is.  Without the adventures, we wouldn't have any stories to tell.  As long as no one is hurt, parts can always be replaced.

3 hours ago, NHTOM said:

Hi, Great reports as always.

Just curious, but was it a conventional stud that took out the heat exchanger or a pre-studded track? How many miles on the track?

Always a plus when it dies near or at a road crossing. I never seem to be that lucky........

Hi Tom.  It is (was) the original track that the dealer studded when we bought the machine.  I think the studs were Woody's.  He has been studding the tracks on all of our machines.  He said that these new one ply tracks just don't stand up like the older tracks.  The machines have more power too.  We stud just the center of the track.  It is time to re-consider whether the studs are worth the expense.

2 hours ago, Shore1066 said:

Well that sucks Jack. I guess I wonder about the single ply tracks. If they Are strong enough to hold up to regular studs or is there something else.  

I have a friend who had a 850 in the 129 track last year with the prestuded track and the lugs pulled off the belts. He said ski doo said it was from too aggressive riding and wouldn't help in anyway.  I believe he was a little hard on it. Maybe too much power for a short track. I don't know.  He traded for a renegade 900 turbo. 

Back to the tracks, we have 850 renegades with 137 track that are the same as are 800 2015 sleds and we had problems with wheels coming apart.  The wheels that came apart were the ones running over the push though studs. Now on our 2018 sleds I bought the screw in type from a guy at the Syracuse show that I installed myself. First I didn't put nearly as many studs in as the pre studded tracks. Any way after one season, all in Quebec mostly, I don't believe we lost a single stud and our wheels look like new.. They don't grab on sheer ice like a push though but they do keep you straight on a Quebec trail.  Now David thinks we have a 2 ply track on our sleds and I'm not sure.  The specs don't say 1 or 2 ply on our adrenalines.  

I guess I didn't ask but do you have a pre studded track or push though Jack. And of course how many miles are on your track. I believe this is your 3rd year. 

End of my questions.  Be safe all and happy new year. 

Hi George.  On your buddies "pre-studded" track, do you mean the studs pushed into the track lugs like a snow tire or "pre-studded" meaning the dealer installed Woody"s or another aftermarket brand?  Mine is the later.

The wheel issue we have had to deal with also.  My understanding is the wheels that run over the back of the studs will get chewed up if a stud loosens just a little.  The stud flexes and every time it goes under a wheel, it takes a tiny bite out of the rubber.  The colder it is, the harder and more fragile the rubber is and it doesn't take long for the wheel to look like a rubber hungry mouse dined on it.

The screw in type sounds like the ripsaw track.  They shouldn't pop out of the track.  I think 95% of the time, the pre-studded track will be fine.  An ice storm or those occasional long glazed hills might be more of a challenge.  I like the stopping ability at a slippery intersection the best.  Sometimes I'll get caught off guard and Sandi is slowing down and I'm  not paying attention.

I thought most all SkiDoos are one ply now.  Maybe someone out there knows.  Have the other manufacturers gone to one ply?  Anyone know?

My 850 Renegade sled has two full seasons and a few days into the third season.  It has 9,800  miles on it.  I'm not going to stud the replacement track.  I'll probably go with the ice ripper pre-studded.  Next season is my turn for a new sled so this will give me a little seat time without studs.  It will help me decide what I want to do for the next sled.  Sandi's 600R is a 129" with the ice ripper.  We will see how that one does.

Jack & Sandi

The studded tracks are just another item to maintain.  If the tracks aren't going to last as long, Woody's and similar companies are going to lose some business.  I always liked the feeling of more starting and stopping grip.  It made the sled feel more secure.  The thought of breaking down who knows where, doesn't make me feel secure.  So with that said, I think the ice ripper track is what I will put on for a replacement track.

To all those with studs, take a look and see if there are any studs that are starting to pull thru.  I didn't feel anything such as a vibration before it happened.  The only indication was the high temperature light on the dash.  It is a little late at that point.

So our trip has one less day of riding this time.  The dealer is closed today, Boxing Day, so we will head home tomorrow as planned.  Today we relax, take a nap in the room and do a little posting here. 

Happy trails to all.

Jack & Sandi

21 minutes ago, revct1 said:

Hi Jak.  Yes it is.  Without the adventures, we wouldn't have any stories to tell.  As long as no one is hurt, parts can always be replaced.

Hi Tom.  It is (was) the original track that the dealer studded when we bought the machine.  I think the studs were Woody's.  He has been studding the tracks on all of our machines.  He said that these new one ply tracks just don't stand up like the older tracks.  The machines have more power too.  We stud just the center of the track.  It is time to re-consider whether the studs are worth the expense.

Hi George.  On your buddies "pre-studded" track, do you mean the studs pushed into the track lugs like a snow tire or "pre-studded" meaning the dealer installed Woody"s or another aftermarket brand?  Mine is the later.

The wheel issue we have had to deal with also.  My understanding is the wheels that run over the back of the studs will get chewed up if a stud loosens just a little.  The stud flexes and every time it goes under a wheel, it takes a tiny bite out of the rubber.  The colder it is, the harder and more fragile the rubber is and it doesn't take long for the wheel to look like a rubber hungry mouse dined on it.

The screw in type sounds like the ripsaw track.  They shouldn't pop out of the track.  I think 95% of the time, the pre-studded track will be fine.  An ice storm or those occasional long glazed hills might be more of a challenge.  I like the stopping ability at a slippery intersection the best.  Sometimes I'll get caught off guard and Sandi is slowing down and I'm  not paying attention.

I thought most all SkiDoos are one ply now.  Maybe someone out there knows.  Have the other manufacturers gone to one ply?  Anyone know?

My 850 Renegade sled has two full seasons and a few days into the third season.  It has 9,800  miles on it.  I'm not going to stud the replacement track.  I'll probably go with the ice ripper pre-studded.  Next season is my turn for a new sled so this will give me a little seat time without studs.  It will help me decide what I want to do for the next sled.  Sandi's 600R is a 129" with the ice ripper.  We will see how that one does.

Jack & Sandi

It was pushed into the lug type. He also rides Tug Hill and there is alot of spinning up there. The ones we have has a real pointy tip and they didn't wear hardly all. As for stopping I really feel no difference from the Woody's. I agree the tracks might not be the right application for the through the track studs. As for ours I believe there is about one hundred and 25 to 150. They screw in after you drill a very small hole. They were about a dollar a piece. I used a 4-3-2 patern in the lugs. What ever that turn out. Rest up because it won't be long until you are back in Quebec enjoying their wonderful trails and people. Drive carefully home.

Ski Doo's are all 1 ply nowadays.  Our group over the years has moved to the pre-studded ripsaws (ice rippers).  The only reason is to make the sleds less prone to a failure while in Quebec. Do they hook like a studded track, no way, but as long as the rear bumper passing my skis is not mine, I'm OK with it.  No issues in 8 years of not being able to get up an icy hill. 

Jack - take a look at the ice attack tracks.  A little deeper lug that is pre-studded.   

It’s a bummer to lose a day , but we have all been there for sure😉

I understand your concern on the studded single ply tracks, I , like gsx800, have gone to the ice ripper pre studded, also have run without any studs on the free rides, , all to avoid that issue you had.  

I too, prefer the ice ripper pre studded .  Just enough grab to keep you straight.  

Look forward to hearing about your next rides. Safe travels 

RR

Thanks for the responses.  I've been riding Sandi's 600R with the ice ripper and I could get along with it.  Since Sandi pulled a stud on her 1200 Renegade last year and now mine this year, it is turning out to be more expensive than just the initial stud installation.

Jack & Sandi

I too have suffered the loose stud tearing wheels apart issue. I went over every stud and tightened them again, only to tear another set of wheels apart. At that point temper took over and I took all the studs out then replaced them with the screw into the top of the light style stud. I ran them two seasons with no issues. My new sled last year came with a prestudded ice ripper. Absolutely no complaints, after all most of us are just looking for control on corners and stopping. 

4 minutes ago, smclelan said:

I too have suffered the loose stud tearing wheels apart issue. I went over every stud and tightened them again, only to tear another set of wheels apart. At that point temper took over and I took all the studs out then replaced them with the screw into the top of the light style stud. I ran them two seasons with no issues. My new sled last year came with a prestuice ripper. Absolutely no complaints, after all most of us are just looking for control on corners and stopping. 

New Sled???  Are we talking a 900 Turbo by chance?

An acquaintance who drives very fast got 13,000 miles on his Ice Ripper track before the track failed (the Doo factory track with screw in studs).

I had a stud hit the cooler leaving Relais 22? and since then have run prestudded. I use the 1.6 Ice Cobra but next will be the 1.5 Ice Storm. They are not as good as the real studs but as I get older I'm not as wild and these work fine.

Mans got to know his limitations.

5 hours ago, revct1 said:

Thanks for tagging along with us Baysville and Playhard.  I try not to mention the green and yellow trails too much.

Pat and Gary, we will see you in a few weeks.

Jak and Mike, it is a sharp looking sled.  The color really pops out.  It happens to match the accents on my jacket.

Hi Ray.  I wonder who could have leaked that photo?  We will start an investigation and take that smart phone away when we find the person.

Jack & Sandi

I've seen a lot of Quebecers riding double but that's taking it to the extreme

On the other hand I bet Team GutZ was happy it wasn't one of theirs being left out on the trail...

Jack We have found that the issue of chewing up wheels in very cold comes from ice build up on the back of the stud. The ice destroys the rubber in short order. 

BJ had to replace a push thru studded track this year had a pull out that effected a rod in the track a recipe for disaster had he not changed it, the track has 8,000 miles. He put on a 1.6 Ice Cobra.

I spoke to Camso this fall the guy told me the lug spitting issue is heat build up, they are built with heat so heat will also make them fall apart. Think ice scratchers not just to cool the motor but to cool the track also. 

Look at the Ice Storm 150 Track https://camso.co/en/snowmobile/products/ice-storm-150, looks to be a very nice option........  We also stopped studding years ago for Quebec,(pre-studded only),  not worth the risk.  Good news close to the road and at the end of your trip!

PS_ICE%20Storm%20150_9388_RGB.jpg

Edited by markusvt

Hi Phil.  Interesting about the heat affecting the track.  Heat is used to put the tracks together so that makes sense.  It wasn't warm that day but I imagine over time the failure starts and then one day, pop.  The thicker two ply tracks of yesterday had more mass so they could tolerate the heat better.

Hi Mark.  Sandi and I have decided no more studs for us.  She has an ice ripper on the new sled.  I'll do the same or something similar.  Next season is my turn for a new sled so I this track will be a test to see what I like.

Jack & Sandi

For all of you that are up here today, the groomer map looks great.  The groomers were out in force last night.

The weather forecast is looking good too.  A little warm up with snow in the forecast.  Maybe a foot of new snow over the next week.

We are packing up this morning.  It is time to head back to Connecticut.  Make a few repairs and get ready for the next trip.  RDL is in our sights for the week of Jan 13th.  We hope to see some QuebecRider folks out there.  Mayor Mike should be at his post by then.

One last request.  For the sledders that read but haven't joined QuebecRider, sign up.  The more members there are, the more attractive it is to advertisers.  Their funds are some of the monies that keep this sight going.  No strings attached.  No junk e-mails.  You don't have to post.  Just the fact of being a member shows that QuebecRider has a lot of followers.  Thanks.

Jack & Sandi

Oh Great, we leave and they groom! Could have used that the other day on our 2 up adventure!!!

When you drop off the sleds, IF you have a chance ask if they have any 900T Enduros and a quick how much?

Just thinking, Your's and No-Hairs new sleds backup so much easier, LOL!!

Later

GutZ

Hi Jack, thanks for all the updates and sorry about your track. Last 3 sleds, ice ripper, will never go back, too many thrown studs and bad wheels for that. Heading up to Saguenay maybe next week, hope to see you guys this season,   Steve

20 hours ago, RoadRunner said:

It’s a bummer to lose a day , but we have all been there for sure😉

I too, prefer the ice ripper pre studded .  Just enough grab to keep you straight.  

Look forward to hearing about your next rides. Safe travels 

Ditto...ditto...ditto RR.

Thanks for the report!

Bravo on the positive outlook.  

Flexibility & a sense of humor are essential.