2019 Jack & Sandi's trips

revct1

52 minutes ago, revct1 said:

Hi Pam,

I like the MXZ 600R better than the Renegade 1200 but the track length isn't the only difference.  Going from the 1200, which was heavier on the front end, to the 600 gives the sled a different feel.  Less weight on the skis makes it easier to turn the bars. 

The 129" vs the 137" is obviously 8" which means there is only 4" difference on the ground.  Not Much difference.  Maybe the track length would be more noticeable on tighter trails, i.e. New England vs. Quebec?

The 137" does allow for two Linq set ups vs one setup on the 129".

I haven't decided on the next sled track length yet.  Jack leans toward the 137".  He thinks it should have a slightly better ride without giving up much in handling when riding in Quebec.

Sandi & Jack

Good to hear! I know you were undecided initially.   I switched to the 129 a few years ago.   It isn’t as smooth in the bumps but it is so easy to turn in the twisty’s.   My concern was also deep powder on storm days but given that I usually ride 4th the snow is packed by the time I get through.   We use the stackable LINQ so I can carry gas and a bag.    Russ still likes his Renegade (XRS this year).   Safe travels.

Pam

OK Sandi.  It is -23C this morning, snowing and windy.  What do we do?  Lets give it a try and if it is bad, we'll turn around.

On the sleds at 9:00 AM.  We don't need an early start today.  It is windy at the Delta.  Getting the sleds ready is brutal.  Sandi gives me that look, are you sure you want to do this?

We take off and cross the two bridges to the north side.  367 was groomed last night.  There is 4 cm or so of fresh powder snow.  The wind isn't as bad here.  Lets go.  Sandi is buzzing along.  I drop back a little.  All I can see is Sandi's helmet bouncing along above the snow dust.  I'm glad we decided to give this a try.

We turn left on 93 going thru St Ambroise.  A couple of miles before the local trail coming up from St Charles, we come upon the groomer.  He pulls over to let us by.  A big wave thanking Mr. Groomer as we go by.  A little bumpy section for a few miles on 93 and then it flattens back out.  Giddy up and off we go.  We turn right on 554.  We cross a road and oops Sandi those are skinny fence posts and not the red stakes.  I stay on the trail but scoot up along side her  and point to the red stakes to her right.  A little throttle and Sandi is back on the trail.  We run up to Relais des Lacs.

Time to take a break and warm up.  A couple of hot chocolates please.  It is still snowing but the trail has been great.  A few inches of fresh snow on top of a groomed trail makes it perfect.  We get back on the sleds and head up 328.  This is still fine.   We turn right on 553 heading north.  Its been awhile since we have been on this trail and that is our fault.  We should take this one all the time.  It is a fun trail with gently curves thru the woods and along the edges of the blueberry fields.  We get on 367 and go to Relais Mont Vilain.  We go in for lunch.  It is snowing pretty hard here.  We are in no hurry.  More sleds here than at Mt Apica yesterday.

IMG_1212.thumb.JPG.28f4bcdd67e1b8cd38f6bdd53093e19d.JPG

While we are waiting for lunch, a rental group pulls in.

IMG_1210.thumb.JPG.6e7dbd86955083273ddaf24f3bea74a9.JPG

We take our time having lunch.  The snow lets up.  I look at the outside thermometer at it shows -10 C.  It has warmed up a lot.

After lunch we decide to head back the same way we came up.  Sandi getting ready for the ride.

IMG_1217.thumb.JPG.8153653c491d766dfbcf336d0645e11c.JPG

Not many sleds out today.  Seems to be the standard this season.

We get back to the Delta and the wind is still howling here.  We put the sleds away and get inside.  Another great ride.  Not long but a really nice ride.

Jack & Sandi

Jack and Sandi, you guys are troopers! No cold temps or howling winds will keep you grounded! Glad to hear the conditions are improving rapidly, still waiting for our first trip up. Appreciate the track on the trails daily reports and pics, keep them coming!

Hi NekSldr,

We miss you two.  How are the sleds running?  There is no place better to clean the carbon out of those motors than up here!

Hi Mike,

I'm trying to take a few pics.  The pics from you and SnowCrazed gave me incentive to take the mitts off and snap a few pics myself.

Jack & Sandi

15 hours ago, revct1 said:

The 137" does allow for two Linq set ups vs one setup on the 129".

Hi Jack, the Up North Technologies Dual Position Ski-Doo 129 Adapter solves the problem for just one LinQ position on the 129". I have this on my Indy XC and it rocks!

Oops, I should have gone to the next page and I would have seen someone had posted it!

Capture1.JPG

Edited by SnowCrazed

Today's forecast is mild and some snow.  Its blowing around pretty good here at the hotel.  Luckily it is warmer than it has been.  We get the sleds ready and take off on 83 east.

A few sleds have left before us and I'm glad they did.  Just running along 83 in Jonquiere in front of Mike's the snowbanks at the road crossings are tall.  We break our way thru.  We get over to Chicoutimi at the railroad tracks and here comes the 9:15 train.  This time he is too close and Sandi waits for the train to go by.  I see the engineer give Sandi a big thumbs up as he goes by.  I wonder if he recognized the sleds from the other day.

As we get into the fields on the other side of Chicoutimi, I see the wind has played havoc with the snow.  A fair amount of drifting has taken place overnight.  I also know Sandi doesn't have any love for snow drifts.  Keep going Sandi.  You can do it.  Some parts are just wind blown but where the fields transition with bushes or trees there are pretty good drifts across the trail.  Take your time and plow thru.  A few sleds catch up to us.  Sandi does the polite thing and pulls over to let them go by.  I think she would rather have them cut a path for her.  Wise move.

This is a little better.  We poke along and stop at Bec Scie to decide where to go.  I here someone call my name.  I look up towards the building and see Danielle.  Him and Colette got there a few minutes before us.  They were breaking the trail and decided to stop and let a few sleds get ahead of them.  We join them for hot chocolate.

A few groups of sleds go by and we decide it is time to continue on.  Danielle and Colette are heading to Auberge des Battures and we are going to make a loop down to the 83 and 383 intersection and then run 383 to Ferland.  83 is better in the woods but is only one path wide.  A good 15 cm of snow or more on the trail.  Sandi is pushing on.  There are a few sleds parked a the intersection going to St Felix.  We stay on 83.  Oh, this is nice.  This part was groomed last night.  Only 5 cm of poof on top of a nice flat trail.  Sanid picks up the pace now.

A really nice ride to the intersection and we turn right on to 383.  That must be a tour group over there at the warming hut.  I counted 18 sleds or so and most of them are identical lined up in pairs.  The riders are outside on the right side of the warming with a fire going.   Are they cooking hot dogs?  We weren't invited so carry on Sandi.  383 was groomed last night too.  Off she goes with a trail of dust behind her.  Ten miles up we get to the first local trail 22 and that is where the groomer went.  Oh well.  It was great for awhile.  Actually this isn't too bad.  It is smooth underneath.  The trail does have more snow on top.  That is fine.  Its easy enough to follow on the park road.

Zipping along we are at Relais Ferland in no time.  The gas pumps work here with a credit card.  A little strange because there is only one card reader between the diesel pumps and not on each pump individually.  You put your card in and key in which pump you want to use.  I missed the question about a gas receipt!

The snowmobile club runs this so it is nice to spend a little money here for the club.  Inside we order up lunch.  Sandi gets a cheeseburger all dressed and I get a hot dog and a side of onion rings.  The food is delivered and there is a little cup of honey for the onion rings.  I haven't seen this before but I'm not one to refuse a helping of sweet honey.  The rings do go good with the honey.

Back on the sleds and up 383.  Just a mile or so and we turn right on the next local trail 21.  Then left onto 83.  We run into a snow squall just above Bec Scie for a few miles and then it clears off.  The trail has had more traffic so the drifts have been beat down some and we are back at Jonquiere

Another nice ride here at Lac St Jean.

We have been eating at the Boston Pizza here at the Delta.  The wait staff is fine.  A couple of the former workers are also here.  The food is good.  Boston Pizza has been running a $10 special at night.  There are six or seven choices.  So far they have been good.  The downside is the special is going to end February 3rd.  I hope they come up with something as good for February.

Jack & Sandi

A pic of the sunset from the tenth floor of the Delta.  The storm has moved on.  

IMG_1219.thumb.JPG.4514018d1f67e8181a99846a2a7b0d7f.JPG

It is still windy and cold.  We dress up and head out.  In the pen it feels like the windy city of Chicago.

We are off and cross the two bridges.  Then we turn right on 134 (Pickle Park).  Fresh groomed and no tracks.  Go Sandi.  Perfection all the way to 93 and we turn right.  The big long straightaways here are fun but cold.  Brrr!  A stop in St Honore and top off the tanks.  Back on 93 and it has been a few days since this was groomed.  We get to the groomer's house and the groomer had headed up the mountain last night.  Back to zoom zoom.  A left onto Bras Louis.  This wasn't groomed last night but it doesn't get the abuse 93 does.  Sandi is trucking right along.

Oh oh!  My sled doesn't sound right.  The exhaust has a funny sound to it.  Not its normal Singer sewing machine sound.  Not misfiring.  Still plenty of power.  Oh, the temp gauge is almost full bars.  I don't want to be stuck on the mountain in this wind.  I change the display to engine temp.  It is at 158 ̊ F.  I back off and the temp starts dropping.  Sandi is gone.  I take it easy and she is waiting at the junction with 477 to Onatchiway.  Hold on Sandi.  the sled is getting hot.  I look under the tunnel and yep there is a bridge of ice blocking the heat exchanger.  Sandi smiles and says "I got a hammer."  Really?  Where has she hid this.

I take the hammer and whack the side of the tunnel a dozen times.  I hear and see the chunks of ice fall.  OK.  This might work.

We are on the trail again and the engine temp is dropping.  Much better.  Only one set of tracks ahead of Sandi on the fresh groomed 477.  Fifteen more miles and we pull into Onatchiway.  Only a few sleds here but a half a dozen truck trailer rigs.

Time for lunch and a well needed warm up.  We take our time.  No hurry today.  We are making it a short day.

After lunch we take off and head down 476 along Lac La Mothe.  The groomer map showed a groomed second trail cutting off of 476 to the west before St David.  We get to the intersection and lets try it and see where it goes.  We bear to the right and no one has been on this yet.  A mile in and the trail crosses a road.  Another mile and it "Ts" with another road.  Looks like the groomer came from the left Sandi.  We run the road for a short distance and the trail goes across a dam.  There is an arrow pointing to the left.  Ah a sign that says trail 134.  A few red stakes.  We are golden.  Lets go.  About 8 miles later we come to an intersection with 328.  Perfect.

If you look on the trail map it doesn't show this trail.  This new section of 134 hits 328 a few miles east of the intersection of 328 and 367.  The trail was here years ago and then closed.  Now its back.

We take 367 toward St Ambroise.  Boy is it windy in the big potato fields.  We get across the two bridges and head back to the hotel.  We are in early but we don't mind with the cold and the wind.

The trails were fine except for a short section of 93.  The new trail was fun.  Its pretty easy to follow. 

Getting near the end of this trip.  One more day to ride and then it is back home.

Jack & Sandi

Our last ride for this trip.  Joe Jak is riding with us today.  Friday is always a good day to go to the truck stop in MIlot.  The map shows the groomer was out on 373 last night.  Yep that is our lunch stop for today.

Out of the corral and across the bridges.  It is still cool this morning but the trail is fine.  We take 367 to 93 and then up 554.  Everything is so nice.  A minimal amount of drifting overnight in the fields.  At Relais des Lacs Sandi and Joe switch sleds.  Joe has a 137" with the 600R and Sandi wants to compare it to her 129".  It is 328 to 553 and up thru the blueberry fields.  Sandi is running right along and Joe and myself are in the dust.  We get on 367 and take a break at Mont Vilain.  One of our favorite stops here even if it is just for coffee or hot chocolate.  Sandi says that she likes the 129" just a little better.  She says that she can go thru the corners a little faster.  Well, that is why they make so many different sleds.

Back on the sleds and down on Lac Tchitogama we go.  Plenty of snow here.  We get to the other side and we are now on 373.  Like the map showed, it is smooth.  Only a couple of tracks ahead of Sandi.  Bill mentioned there is logging operations in here.  About ten miles in and the trail is plowed.  There is a little sand on top of the snow packed road.  It only lasts for a mile and we are back in the woods.  A little further on and there is another half mile stretch.  I can live with that.  The loggers are nice enough to let us have trails.

We pull into the truck stop.  It always amazes me out here in the middle of nowhere there will be forty to fifty people here having lunch.  The lunch  special you can't beat at $12.95 plus taxes and tip.  Soup, meal, dessert and coffee is a bargain.  The food is good here.

Back on the sleds and we keep going on 373.  We get to the new intersection where 373 continues on to Girardville and trail 900 drops back down to St Augustin .  I want to ride this new trail some day but not today.

We turn onto the 900.  Hardly a bump to be felt.  We get on 93 and stop at the Depanneur in St Henri and top off the tanks.  It is getting cooler again.  At lunch it was warming up but now the sun is getting lower and the temperature is dropping.  Brrr!  It has been cold here this week and today is no different.

Sandi is off and we are in chase.  The big fields around Alma have some minor drifting but just the sides of the trail.  Thru St Nazaire and St Ambroise we go.  The sun is getting lower now and Sandi likes to be in before dark.  The long straight away by Le Geant Trailers and she is gone.  Down the little drop and into the scrubby trees.  Sandi is leaning in the corners now.  The snow dust is hanging in the air.

Wow the groomer made a pass between the two bridges today.  What a nice way to end the trip.  We are back at the Delta just as the sun is going down.  We made it back.

This season is turning out to be one of the best in years.  With snow cover all over the Northeast, low traffic from what we have seen and cold temps so the trails stand up after the groomer is making for wonderful conditions.

Thanks for following along with us.  It has been a good trip.  I didn't have to go to the SkiDoo or Chevy dealer this time.  Yea!

Until the next trip  :drinks:  cheers to all.

Jack & Sandi

Thanks for all the great reporting Jack & Sandi!  So nice tagging along on your rides here at home dreaming with a twitchy thumb!

I hope to see you again this year sometime.

I plan to be in Quebec from February 20th thru March 1st.  

Safe travels home tomorrow. 

Best,

Tom

Jack and Sandy, really enjoy reading your reports, Thanks.

FYI after knocking ice chunks off, it is always best to go about 10 feet in reverse. Ice coming out back is way better than getting ground up in front at heat exchanger.

Edited by Snobeeler

We made it home safely.  We drove back Saturday in the snow.  It was only forecast to be 2-4 cm in Jonquiere so I figured we would be fine going thru the park to Quebec City.  It had just started snowing at the Delta that morning.  It wasn't long before the back tires spun going up the first hill.  Four wheel drive is good.

We saw three accidents in the park.  The first two were in the snow bank and the third was a pick up truck on its side against the snow bank.  First responders were at all three accidents.  The closer to Quebec City, the harder it was snowing and the highway was slick.

We got thru Quebec City and got on route 20.  About ten miles in and all traffic comes to an abrupt stop.  We sat there for thirty minutes.  When we finally got moving and got to the accident, a tractor trailer had plowed into the back of an SUV.  He didn't run over it but hit it pretty good.

As we approached the Plessville area, I noticed that there wasn't any traffic heading towards Quebec City.  Hmm.  That is odd.  Only a single car every now and then.  Then I saw a pick up truck with snowmobile trailer attached and parked heading in the wrong direction and then it was car after car up on top of the snow bank, stuffed into the back of another car, spun around and everything else imaginable.  A tractor trailer about 10 feet off the road in the ditch.  Another tractor with a flat bed trailer and three snowmobile trailers on the flat bed that had jack knifed.  Some cars stopped in time and weren't damaged but many, many were hit somewhere.  I clocked it and the accident scene ran for 1 mile.

After that, the road was closed.  There were 3 police ATVs blocking the emergency turn around.  Then further down the highway were 2 cruisers parked sideways closing the road and forcing all traffic off at the exit ramp. 

We have seen accidents on TV like this but when you see one in person, it is amazing.  It must have taken the Police hours to clear the wreckage.  Then what do you do with all the people, taxis, hotel, bus?  What a nightmare but I guess the Police know how to handle it.  I'm sure it wasn't the first time for a pileup like that.

Jack & Sandi

A follow up to the accident we saw on route 20.  Sandi found this in the Montreal Gazette.

https://montrealgazette.com/news/two-hundred-car-pileup-shuts-down-highway-20-in-val-alain

"A series of collisions and wipeouts involving 200 cars shut down a section of eastbound Highway 20 outside of Quebec City on Saturday afternoon.

Police did not report any major injuries in the pileup, but said tow trucks hustled to clear the road, which was scattered with debris and cars.

Heavy snow and ice are likely the cause of the accident in Val-Alain, about 70 kilometres west of the provincial capital."

It was a big one.  I wonder how long it took to clear the highway.

Jack & Sandi

We are back at the Delta.  We came up in the truck last night.  The drive up was good.  In the park, the road was partially snow covered. 

Last night we had a good supper and a lot of laughs at Mike's with MichRev, SnowmoGary & Pat, Schooter & Tracy and yours truly & Sandi.  We had some catching up to do since we last saw each other.  Always great to sit down with other riders and share adventures.

Today looks like a beautiful day to ride.  A lot of grooming took place last night while we were tucked in bed.

Jack & Sandi

We were heading from Plattsbugh to QC on that Saturday.  Both my car GPS and Waze app were pretty much useless.  Got off the exit where they had patrol cars blocking the road, just followed a semi who likely had a CB, about 15 miles of 2 lane road and then back onto the 20 Est, it took like an hour to get around.  The small road we were on paralled 20 and you could see the carnage, amazing that no one was hurt.