2019 Jack & Sandi's trips

revct1

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 11:23 AM, revct1 said:

Heavy snow and ice are likely the cause of the accident in Val-Alain, about 70 kilometres west of the provincial capital."

It was a big one.  I wonder how long it took to clear the highway.

Jack & Sandi

Love it, "Heavy Snow and Ice likely the cause" Driving too fast for the conditions never came to mind?

Edited by Snobeeler

A beautiful morning it is and the groomer map looks great.  We can pick any loop and be on mostly groomed trails.  Sandi, lets head out 83 towards Alma and see where we end up.

We stop at the Ultramar first because we didn't tank up last week when we finished.  Off we go on 83 west.  Very nice.  The base is solid and there is an 1" of sugar snow on top.  The freezing rain a couple of days ago took away all the powder and left a sugar snow coating.  As long as we have snow for cooling and slides, I'm good.  We get to Kenogami and I guess it has been cold because the groomer has made a pass across the lake.  Follow the stakes and we turn right on 383 to Relais Grenouille.  No need to stop here.  The trail is too good.  Scooting along in the woods and thru the fields as we approach St Bruno.

We turn right on local 563.  We pass the Cat dealer and the trail is great.  Sunday morning and very few sleds out.  There aren't even any cars at the road crossings.  Amazing that it is so quiet.  We turn left on 561 and run along side the little airport.  We pass DRC Skidoo.  Of course no one here on Sunday.  At the junction with 23 we head north towards Alma.  Everything is so good.  The road is bare and the trail has some brown mixed in the snow from the road.  Not a problem.  Keep on riding Sandi.  A little oncoming traffic in Alma.  We loop under the auto bridge and get up on top and cross the river.  At the junction with 93 I check the time.  It is 11:00 AM.  Turn right Sandi and we will get to Relais des Lacs for lunch.  Down 93 and left on 554.

We get to Relais des Lacs and a few sleds here.  A group of four VTTs just leaving.  In we go and that guy looks familiar.  Wouldn't you know.  Its Pat & Gary (SnowmoGary), Tracy & John (Schooter).  Didn't we just have breakfast with you guys?  Time for a nice relaxing lunch with friends.

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2.2

That poster in the background wasn't intentional.  I don't want to upset the other sleds.

After lunch the six of us take 328 east.  Sandi and I jump in the lead and at 367 we turn left and head north.  The others turn right on 367 and head towards St Ambroise.  A few miles up the trail and we turn right on 328.  Thru the big fields we go.  Like I've been saying all season, these trails are great.  Over the little river on the steel snowmobile bridge to 134.  Boy that looks good.  Lets go.

You can't see my plate but you can see Sandi's CT #2.

134 is so nice after a grooming.  It can get drifted in badly but the freezing rain has put the kibosh on the powder.  Go Sandi go.  Zip a dee do dah zip a dee day oh my my what a wonderful day.  For those of you that are as old as us.

We get to the lookout that is just a mile or so before the bridges and there are four sleds pulled over taking in the scenery.  Hey.  Wait up Sandi.  That is Pat & Gary, Tracy & John.

A nice view of the river and Saguenay from the lookout.

They took the short way from the south and we went the northern route of 134.  A little conversation and back on the sleds we go.  Down to the two bridges and left on 367.  Another left on 83 and before you know it we are at Le Cage in Chicoutimi.  It is a good time for a break.  We have a seat and relax.  Not too long and we are on the last leg back to the Delta.

83 is good.  We behave in the 20 kmh zone.  We don't want to upset anyone especially when there are radar signs posted.  We fill up the sleds at the Ultramar and we are back at the Delta.  What a nice ride with good friends.  Thanks.

Jack & Sandi

Thanks for another great report Jack, sounds like everything is perfect up there! How long are you and Sandi staying on this trip? Molly, myself and some friends will be there Saturday and Sunday night, hopefully we'll get to say hi!

On the drive up yesterday, we stopped at Performance NC Sherbrooke.  I needed two stroke oil.  No comments on two strokes now.  While we were there, Sandi mentions they have fur boots and they are having a sale of 30% off.

My old boots I've noticed have split on one of the seams and the liners are coming apart also.  I might have to resort to duct tape again.

OK.  I'll go look.  Hmm!  These are just like yours Sandi.  They feel pretty good.  The sales girl says they are very warm and they will last a long time.  They do feel good.  Let me try on those regular boots.  They are half the price of the fur boots.  These feel good too but boy those fur boots sure are tempting.  I put the fur boots back on again and walk around a little.  Sandi and the sales girl are smiling.  They know I like them.  OK.  I'll splurge.   Out comes the credit card again.  Ka-ching and I'm the owner of a pair of boots.

Here's a pic of them at Relais des Lacs.

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinLaunch&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2.2

I will say they are warm.  It is like sitting on the couch with my slippers on.  Toasty!

A crazy side note is appropriate here.  My old boots for whatever reason would slip on my heel a little.  By the time I would walk from the hotel room to my sled, my socks would be down around my ankles.  This would drive me nuts.  I can't take the boots off every time I walked so I just put up with it.  I don't know if anybody else has experienced this irritating boot slip but I have.  Trying to walk around with my socks around the arch of my foot, annoying.  How do the younger ones walk around with their pants below their butt I'll never know!  The new boots don't slip and boy is it nice.

Jack & Sandi

Another cold but clear day forecasted.  Monday some of the relais are closed.  Mont Apica is open and that was groomed.  On the sleds and 83 east we go.  Sandi is the first on the fresh trail.  Thru Chicoutimi and down thru the fields.  All the snow in the fields have a glaze of ice.  No drifting last night.

We turn right on 368 and it is so nice.  A good cross wind in the open but smooth.  Just running along at a good clip.  I see a little snow dust ahead of Sandi.  Yep there is a two up sled with two riders pulling a plastic toboggan with provisions.  First straight a way he backs off and motions us to pass.  Zoom.  Sandi doesn't have to be asked twice.  We make quick time and get to the intersection with 23.  Always nice to take ten minutes in the heated hut here.  Two more sleds stop.  They came from the Hebertville direction.  Looks like a couple.  He takes a picture of their sleds with the girl and the big paradise arch as a back drop.  A good picture to show everyone.  They don't come inside.  They continue down 23.

We get back on our sleds and go the same way heading towards Mont Apica.  They are staying ahead of us.  We don't even see their dust.  We never caught up to them.  We pull into Apica.  A few sleds here today.  We go in and put in our order for coffee and soup.  While we are waiting, two guys come in.  Its Bill and Dave (MichRev).  They weren't too far behind us.  They have lunch too.

The  four of us decide to go back up 23.  Off we go.  I haven't seen 23 this nice in a awhile.  Groomed last night with only a few sled tracks on it.  Mostly south bound tracks.  We get to Hebertville and fill up the sleds.  Go ahead Sandi.  Stay on 23.  We get to the 383 junction and turn right.  This is the way we came in yesterday.  Back to Relais Grenouille and jump on 83 crossing the tip of Lac Kenogami.  All this is great.  83 has a few ripples in the corners but we aren't complaining.  We make it back to the Delta.  Home a little early today with afine day of riding.

The forecast is for snow on Wednesday, 15 cm.  That will only make the trails better than they are.

Until later, eat well and ride safe.

Jack & Sandi

Another nice looking morning.  93 was groomed last night from St Honore to La Chapelle.  Lets take that.  93 is usually pretty beat but being a Tuesday it should stay good.

Across the two bridges and right on 134 to 93.  134 was groomed too.  93 to St Honore is perfect.  Up the mountain we go.  There is a fluff to the snow up here.  Down below the snow is more sugar snow.  Even around Valinuet 93 is fine.  This is just a few miles past the ski area.  The blue Canadian sky is gorgeous!

447699138_Trail93justaboveValinuet.thumb.JPG.86229cb3661d7ff1f1eee5312d8e6956.JPG

Just keep on rolling Sandi.

We pull into La Chapelle.  More sleds here than at Mt Apica.  It looks like all Quebec plates.  We go inside for lunch.  I think this is under new ownership this year.  The interior has been changed.  There is a bar where the kitchen was.  The kitchen is to the right.  The old seating area is the same.

916501708_LaChapelleinsideFeb2019.thumb.JPG.04013aaec5bf31d1bf73f6b585d9f7b8.JPG

Pea soup, hot dog and a cheeseburger will do.  The pea soup must be homemade.  There is some onion and bay leaves in it besides the peas and ham.  Very tasty.  This could be a meal on its own.

Early in the year there are 3 or 4 steps coming out of that entrance.  Now the snow is up to the entrance.  Hi Sandi.

14536691_LaChapelleoutsidesnowcoveringthesteps.thumb.JPG.c5d86b2b2c72189e71698b140258e2b0.JPG

After lunch we run back down 93.  Bras Louis wasn't groomed so lets stay on 93.  We wind our way down the mountain.  It is getting overcast this afternoon ahead of the storm that is coming in overnight.  At the 328 intersection it looks good to the right.  This was groomed last night too.  Sandi turns right and off we go.  Nice riding here.  Just before the 134 junction there are many signs saying permission fragile, stay on the trail.  I remember someone posting a facebook clip about this landowner being very upset.  Sleds are not staying on the trail and running thru his property.  We behave.

Turn left on 134 and run back to the Delta like we did the other day.

Another nice ride today, very little traffic.  Tomorrow we will wait and see how much snow we get.  It will make the conditions better than they are now even though they are already great.

Jack & Sandi

Time for a side note:

How fast do you ride or what is your average speed?  Comes up occasionally.  The typical answer is around 30 mph.  Which of course sounds slow.  Everybody rides faster than that.  I thought we rode faster too.  Over the years Sandi and I will comment on a particular day or someone else's trip and it does seem to be around 30 mph.

Yesterday the old 850 hit 400 hours on the meter.  Now is a good time to check.  400 hours times the 30 mph should equal 12,000 miles.  I took a look at the total miles and it read 12,018 miles.  I couldn't believe how close it was to the 30 mph theory.

I guess we are just a couple of average riders!

Jack & Sandi

We may have a hotel day today.  The forecast is for 15 cm of snow which isn't too much but the wind is nasty.  I'm sure there will be whiteout conditions in the fields.  Half of the snowmobilers went out and half are staying in.

Be safe to all of those who are venturing out.

Along the St Lawrence, Quebec City and Montreal are getting more snow than here in Jonquiere.

Jack & Sandi

3 hours ago, revct1 said:

Time for a side note:

How fast do you ride or what is your average speed?  Comes up occasionally.  The typical answer is around 30 mph.  Which of course sounds slow.  Everybody rides faster than that.  I thought we rode faster too.  Over the years Sandi and I will comment on a particular day or someone else's trip and it does seem to be around 30 mph.

Yesterday the old 850 hit 400 hours on the meter.  Now is a good time to check.  400 hours times the 30 mph should equal 12,000 miles.  I took a look at the total miles and it read 12,018 miles.  I couldn't believe how close it was to the 30 mph theory.

Jack & Sandi

Your  way more  than an average riders Jack .. lol 😁😁

8 hours ago, revct1 said:

Time for a side note:

Jack & Sandi

hi Jack,

I just checked the numbers on my old machine with 15,000 miles. 27.6 average.  Pictures put me bellow avg.

Thanks for the great reports.

It is interesting.  I bet most riders are within a few mph of the guesstimated 30 mph.  If the machine idles a long time in the morning or like you, a lot of stops for pictures or scenery, that machine would be slightly less.  On the other hand, someone that starts his machine in the morning and is off and running would be slightly above.

Jack & Sandi

We did stay in the hotel yesterday.  A few folks went out though.  The report is the morning wasn't too bad to ride in.  Early afternoon was heavy snow and wind in some areas and some whiteout conditions.  Tough sledding.  This morning it looks like the storm has gone by.  Time to check the map and plan a ride.

Happy Valentines Day to everyone.  I'm fortunate to have Sandi with me.

Jack & Sandi

I didn't get a chance to post last night.  We returned a little later than normal.  So I'll wind the clock back.

It is Thursday.  The snow has stopped and the blue sky has returned.  It is going to be fluffy out there today.  A few trails were groomed but not all interconnected.  Let's go on the north side of the lake.  That had a little grooming.  Today Sandi and I have MichRev as followup.

The three of us head out and cross the bridges.  Good 367 had been groomed.  Soft on top.  We had about 10-15 cm of snow.  Quite different than the hard pack we have been riding on for the past week.  We pass Le Geant Trailer and turn left on 93.  Same here, groomed with fluff.  The dust is kicking up in the air.  We won't have any cooling or lube problems for the slides today.  A few sled marks ahead of Sandi.  Just before the St Charles cutoff, the groomer turned around.  This is where the clubs change.  The trail is still broke but not as nice.  We knock off some more miles and get to the turn off for Relais des Lacs.  The groomer has been here.  Yea!

758376057_StNazaire.thumb.JPG.8d863fe0a9415a6a3138315812ab2f53.JPG

The grooming was short lived.  We are on the other side of Alma and the groomer has disappeared again.  There has been traffic so the trail is broke and wide enough.  The snow is a little deeper here.  You can still feel the hard pack underneath though.  We go thru St Henri and St Monique.  The power lines are the same, traffic but not groomed.  We turn left on 367 toward Peribonka.  Now the trail is getting skinny.  We are down to one sled wide.  Six miles in and the trail crosses a river.  Ah!  On the other side of the river, this groomer has been out.  Sandi is back up to speed.

We get to Relais Vauvert.  It's 11:15 AM.  Should we eat or continue on.  Let's see if we can make Relais des Buttes over in St Felicien.  It's about another hour.  We run 367 to 93 and turn left.   93 has been groomed but we notice that the snow is still getting deeper.  We turn left onto local 901.  Six miles in and the clubs must change here.  Our groomer has u-turned on us.  The trail is skinny and the snow is getting deeper.

580907228_Trail901eastofStMethode.thumb.JPG.74a9f01e5baf3c5124ffb6201ad5cf17.JPG

You can see up ahead that the trail is one sled wide.   A little conversation and we vote to continue on.  It turns out to be twenty miles to Relais des Buttes and all of the trail was one sled wide except for the last mile on 373 to the relais.  Luckily we didn't meet any sleds in the skinny part of the trails.

A few sleds here.  Our hour from Vauvert to here turned into more like an hour and a half.  Over lunch we decide to return the same way we came up.  It is going to be a late day getting back but we know what the trails are like.  We could continue on with a Tour de Lac but the groomer map didn't show much activity below the lac.

On our sleds and we are on the return.  Not so lucky on trail 715 with oncoming sleds.  Everyone is out this afternoon.  Two, three sometimes more sleds coming at us.  You got to get off in the puff Sandi.  I know she isn't thrilled and the snow is a lot deeper here.  Snow flying up over the hoods.  We turn on 701 and have burnt up a lot of gas.  We stop at the little depaneur is St Methode.  The gentleman pumping our gas speaks a little English.  He is laughing and says they got the brunt of the storm.  He measured 60 cm this morning.  It definitely looks like it.

We finally get back on trails that are wide enough for two sleds to pass.  The sun is going down now.  No breaks this afternoon.  Sandi likes to get in before dark and we aren't going to make it today.  As we get closer to Jonquiere, the trail is getting better.  Maybe the groomer went back out or just more traffic packed the fluff down.  The last hour in is a nice ride.

A longer day than normal but it was fun.  No one fell off the trail and there was a lot off dust flying.

Jack & Sandi

4 hours ago, revct1 said:

Hi NickySkiDoo.  You are rolling right along.  What type of trails?  A lot of flat land riding or is a mix?

Jack & Sandi

Hi Jack,

Almost all trail and mostly Abitibi Temiscamingue, a little in Ontario (where I'm from) but just like the people in Quebec and the trails, love their trails!!

We ride at a pretty good clip but are getting older and have slowed down and try to keep the miles below 250 a day LOL 

Love the reports as always 

Nick 

Today is our last day of riding for this trip.  Almost all the trails were groomed last night.  We have some light snow in the forecast and big wind for today.  I think we will stay in the woods.  The open fields in Alma would not be our choice.  

We cross the two bridges one more time.  367 is fine as shown on the groomer map.  In St Ambroise we turn left on 93 and again this is fine.  We are on our way to Mont Vilain.  Cruising along on 93 we turn right onto local 554.  Hmm?  I thought the sign at the beginning of the trail said 553 but the map says 554.  The picture I took yesterday doesn't show the sign.  We will call it 554 for now.  Buzzing along and we slow down at Relais des Lac.  Only a few sleds here and that one is Bill's.  I can tell by the parking lights on it.  That one is MichRev's.  We weren't going to stop but we have to go in and see where they are going.

Hi Bill and Dave.  Just finishing up a coffee and water.  Where are you going?

Up to Mont Vilain.  We are too.  Sandi and I sit and have a hot chocolate.  This is a short day so we can get back to the hotel and get the truck hooked to the trailer and do a few things to prep for tomorrow's ride home.  Relax and chat about how good of a week of riding it has been.

The four of us leave and go on 328 around the lake.  Right on 553.  The fields are drifted in some fields even though they were groomed last night.  This time we take the local trail thru Lamarche and get on 373 to finish the ride to Mont Vilain.  Not too busy during the week here.  We order lunch and relax.  It is snowing pretty good now.  The wind is still strong.  Over lunch we decide the best route back is the way we came up.  Only a few fields.  Most of the trails are in the woods.

We get back on the sleds and u-turn.  367 to the local thru Lamarche and then 553 to 328.  Around the lac and pass Relais des Lacs.  No need to stop today.  The temp is mild and we keep on riding.  Left on 93, a right on 367 and cross the two bridges one last time.  These are as bumpy as ever but after the bridges the trail is good.

No need to gas up tonight and we pull into the Delta.  Time to hook up the trailer and get a few things ready for the ride home tomorrow.

It was great seeing so many QuebecRiders and riding with who we had the blessing to ride with.  It was a great trip this past week.  Thanks for reading along with us.  We hope you got a few chuckles and enjoyment out of our posts.

Is there one more trip this season for us?  Home for a week and then we will decide.  Thanks.

Jack & Sandi

On 2/14/2019 at 7:29 AM, Nickyskidoo said:

Wow just checked my mileage looks like 48mph average, but I don't stop and take these awesome pictures...

My 1200 has been the best machine I have ever rode, new chapter with the 900T like it so far still dosnt handle as good as my old buggy      

IMG_3350.JPG

IMG_3351.JPG

Not possible, you or someone must have reset the hour meter at some point over 17k miles.