Trip question

Mxzeerider

how many miles a day do you typically like to ride ?

Here in my home state of ny we rarely do less then 300 a day and our highest was last year we did 458 in a day. But that being said,  we've been to Quebec a few times and can't seem to do more than 250 a day. Probably due to us being in an unfamiliar places. But we don't mind we like more relaxed rides to. We did this trip like 2 years ago and it took us about 4 days, the whole trip was around 900 miles

I remember years ago ( like 20 something) there was this middle aged chick (from Pa I think) called “Roxanne the Rocket”

she used to hang up on Tug Hill and did some crazy shit. Well she must have had a bug up her ass or someone triple dog dared her to see if she could break the world record for female most miles on a snowmobile in 24 hrs. If my memory serves me correctly at the time it was some girl (Sylvie something) from Cochrane Ontario I believe who held the record and it was like 500-600 miles ish

Barrows Sled shop on Tug Hill sort of sponsored her and provided ground support while she did loop after loop of the Talbots Corners rail trail area. I think somewhere around the 400 mile mark in the wee hours they ripped her suspension out and replaced it in like 15 min.

i don’t think she wound up beating the record but gave it a damn fine attempt. 

If anyone (male or female) was going to get a world record 24 hr mileage run Cochrane and surrounding areas would sure be the place to do it. Widest, flattest fastest trails I have ever ridden bare none.

The most mileage I ever did (and I wont do it again) was back in 1996. That was back when you just had a paper map and some promise's from someone you met at a bar. Two of us were in Chibougamau and found out we needed to cut the trip short and return home. We talked to some guy at the Hotel Boug. that told us about a trail going directly south to obedjiwan through a logging camp and on through to Clova. Riding two new Mach Z's with extra gas, we took the trail (beautiful and desolate) gas at the logging camp, gas at the Indian reservation and on to the Tamerack. After a few of beers with Andre' and on to Parent, then stopped for the night at Fer'a'Cheval. That was over 400 miles. One of those trips you always remember and wonder what would have happened if we broke down??

Since then I always look for that trail and haven't seen it, I did the loop up to obedj. and around to Gouin a couple of years ago. Another trail you don't want to have problems on.

Now I do 250 miles and think that is plenty.........Older , Wiser, ?? Maybe.

Sorry for the spelling .....

The circle outlined can be a 3 day trip, or hang and explore and make it a week long trip.  We used to do lots of 300 mile days and a few 400+ in a year, (record being 485).  These days we aim for 225-250, creeping up to 300 on occasion depending on where we are.  We did have the one 375 day last year and the team reminds me of it every chance they get 🙂

1 hour ago, Jackstraw said:

If you rode 458 miles in one day in NY,  which I find hard to believe,  you and your sled would be kaput for a week! :shok:

My Yamahas in the past could never be able a ny trip without something braking (suspension vise). I switched to skidoo and these long trips are breeze now

I'm not saying he did or didn't do 458 miles in NY but I can say it is possible.  There are actually some very wide open fast trails in NY (when there is snow).  Not all trails are like Tug Hill.  I'm assuming by his map part of his run was the old train tracks from Charlies Inn to Malone (can't remember but trail 8 maybe) and that is fast and straight up to the border,  You can put on a lot of miles quickly like that.  And not a lot of traffic.

Nice video.  Great conditions depicted.

Funny how the internet twists things up.

Circled area is currently mostly green with some yellow on grooming delay map (looking good many places now that snow is flying).  Giddy up.  

Not much room between those powerline poles on the ride from Charlies to Malone.

32 minutes ago, actionjack said:

Circled area is currently mostly green with some yellow on grooming delay map (looking good many places now that snow is flying).  Giddy up.  

Not much room between those powerline poles on the ride from Charlies to Malone.

There sure isn't enough room between them poles. One time we went up there during week and trails where freshly groomed pretty much 95% of the way to malone. We got to malone from Williamstown by 11 am and started just a little past 7am. Was one of my best ny trips to date. 

2 hours ago, actionjack said:

Yes, when bringing a few guys up to charlies for the first time they said it was a little unnerving to just fly between those poles.  lol  After a while you just "trust" they won't move on you.  lol  Here is a pic of those poles (taken back in 2012 I think it was)

When it is groomed up in that area it is beautiful.  And you can put on miles fast.  We used to travel up there often.

trail2.JPG

Edited by Triggerhappy

Holy Hijack

Sorry Dude.

The old way to do a panorama.  I used to carry several disposable cameras with me on my trips.  Saranac Lake was a memorable one.  This taped together pano lives in the house to this day.

My memory might be wrong but I always remember having to time the passing of those poles when another sled was not coming through.  And counting them in my head. shwoosh 88  . . . swoosh 89 . . .  

32714105118_4431c91359_k.jpg

18 hours ago, Mxzeerider said:

Is this trip doable in about a week? Thanks 

20190102_192249.jpg

If you simply did a normal 200 miles per day at normal riding speed you would have a great week and be able to enjoy the ride.

I would recommend starting at the https://www.hotelsignaturequebec.com just north of Quebec city (safe spot for trailers) If you head north first followed by south down through Mont Valens make time to stop at the https://www.fairmont.com/richelieu-charlevoix/ on the last night, it will leave you a 130 mile day at the end back to https://www.hotelsignaturequebec.com and you can drive home that day. I did this last Feb 1, prepare for COLD weather in Mont Valens.

Have fun, If you are Jan 25 to Feb 1st, Im sure we will pass each other at some point.

41 minutes ago, Jamie Matheson said:

If you simply did a normal 200 miles per day at normal riding speed you would have a great week and be able to enjoy the ride.

I would recommend starting at the https://www.hotelsignaturequebec.com just north of Quebec city (safe spot for trailers) If you head north first followed by south down through Mont Valens make time to stop at the https://www.fairmont.com/richelieu-charlevoix/ on the last night, it will leave you a 130 mile day at the end back to https://www.hotelsignaturequebec.com and you can drive home that day. I did this last Feb 1, prepare for COLD weather in Mont Valens.

Have fun, If you are Jan 25 to Feb 1st, Im sure we will pass each other at some point.

That's exactly where we started from last time. Then we crossed the river on a barge and stayed at some motel in middle of nowhere, after that we spent a night at universal(was very nice)  and back to signature(back then it was 4 seasons I think)