Trip question

Mxzeerider

6 hours ago, Mxzeerider said:

There sure isn't enough room between them poles. One time we went up there during week and trails where freshly groomed pretty much 95% of the way to malone. We got to malone from Williamstown by 11 am and started just a little past 7am. Was one of my best ny trips to date. 

We have ridden from Old Forge to Valley field in QC on the St Lawrence about 12 years ago. Believe it was about 285 miles left at 8am crossed the border around 5pm after a long search for the crossing. We had to go over a long train trestle missing a lot of boards about 70ft in the air. Had a 350lb buddy that wasn't going over. We all did and lured him over finally. Railbed was great up and 175 miles of moguls on the return. Never again!

2 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

We have ridden from Old Forge to Valley field in QC on the St Lawrence about 12 years ago. Believe it was about 285 miles left at 8am crossed the border around 5pm after a long search for the crossing. We had to go over a long train trestle missing a lot of boards about 70ft in the air. Had a 350lb buddy that wasn't going over. We all did and lured him over finally. Railbed was great up and 175 miles of moguls on the return. Never again!

4 hours ago, Mxzeerider said:

That's exactly where we started from last time. Then we crossed the river on a barge and stayed at some motel in middle of nowhere, after that we spent a night at universal(was very nice)  and back to signature(back then it was 4 seasons I think)

4 Points Hotel.

Did you cross the fiord in Tadoussac ?

The best official, documented miles in a day, in Quebec, early 1990's...Dennis, the owner of Le Cabonon and Lee, the former owner of Bistro St Zenon, left Le Cabonon for River Matiwin thru the park on 360 and back to Le Cabonon on Mack Z's...4 TIMES IN 1 DAY.....YOU DO THE MATH.....800 MILES!! when you think about the miles it seems impossible...then you think about the park and 75 to 80 is very doable on that trail of 100 miles. They were done at 6 30 pm, and very tired, years later Lee said he would never do any thing like that again. You can hear all kinds of stories, I know this one to be fact and I know with today's sleds, it could easily be done on the very same trail...just have to have nice grooming and no traffic.

Be careful on the 3 past St Simeon, trail closure was in place last Wednesday, we could not pass to get to the Taddoussac ferry, friends of ours had to flatbed to the ferry crossing.  Not good.  We ended up doubling back and setting out the next am on an alternate route up to Valin.

On 1/6/2019 at 4:27 PM, quebec bob said:

The best official, documented miles in a day, in Quebec, early 1990's...Dennis, the owner of Le Cabonon and Lee, the former owner of Bistro St Zenon, left Le Cabonon for River Matiwin thru the park on 360 and back to Le Cabonon on Mack Z's...4 TIMES IN 1 DAY.....YOU DO THE MATH.....800 MILES!! when you think about the miles it seems impossible...then you think about the park and 75 to 80 is very doable on that trail of 100 miles. They were done at 6 30 pm, and very tired, years later Lee said he would never do any thing like that again. You can hear all kinds of stories, I know this one to be fact and I know with today's sleds, it could easily be done on the very same trail...just have to have nice grooming and no traffic.

Bob, I know Dennis and have stayed there many times over the years but I just “did the math” and only came up with 572 miles???

either way....I always knew he was a tough SOB.......you can still see it in him even at his age now

1 hour ago, nowa said:

Done this trip a couple times! Morgan VT to Hotel Universal in RDL. 6am-7:30pm 464 miles with a 1 hour lunch break.  100 miles of railbed that only takes an hour!!🤣

Perfect area to do that run. I would like to do that someday. The Bay st Laurent is fast, fast, fast......

9 hours ago, skidooccio said:

Be careful on the 3 past St Simeon, trail closure was in place last Wednesday, we could not pass to get to the Taddoussac ferry, friends of ours had to flatbed to the ferry crossing.  Not good.  We ended up doubling back and setting out the next am on an alternate route up to Valin.

Hasn't been groomed for past 7hrs. Isn't the trail supposed to be marked red if closed? Last time we were there that stretch was really beat up, it was as bad as tug hill ny lol

Screenshot_20190108-195349_iMotoneige.jpg

Edited by Mxzeerider

8 hours ago, snowmaster2112 said:

Bob, I know Dennis and have stayed there many times over the years but I just “did the math” and only came up with 572 miles???

either way....I always knew he was a tough SOB.......you can still see it in him even at his age now

Cabanon to the river matawin, back in the late 80's and early 90's always read around 100 to 102 miles on my sleds, but you know the speedometers were probably off by 10 percent...180 each way, still amazing when you think 4 trips, on those old suspensions, it a hell of a day even today.

1 hour ago, Mxzeerider said:

Hasn't been groomed for past 7hrs. Isn't the trail supposed to be marked red if closed? Last time we were there that stretch was really beat up, it was as bad as tug hill ny lol

Screenshot_20190108-195349_iMotoneige.jpg

Yes, it should be, but when 3 branches off after the small warming hut, it had not been groomed at all, then after st simeon, it turned to a singletrack, which brought us to a camp access (I figured that would happen based on the type of sled track), so then we broke trail for several miles, then back to a singletrack, which only brought us to another camp access, then the trail turned bad, and GPS showed we were still at least 15 miles from the ferry, so we turned back, since it was getting late.  I was told by another group that it is a landowner issue that has not been resolved yet, at least as of last Wednesday.

On 1/8/2019 at 10:17 AM, skidooccio said:

Looks like they just groomed that section!

Screenshot_20190110-134128_iMotoneige.jpg

It's 158 miles according to your screen shot.  Call the Ski Doo tank 10 gallons (it's actually 10.6 on an XS/XP) plus you 3.9 extra gas.  So just call it 13 gallons all together.  If you can get 12.2 mpg you will make it with about 1.5 gallons left.  Or you can stop at the sawmill (cash only)and top off, then, no worries.  

1 hour ago, GSX800 said:

It's 158 miles according to your screen shot.  Call the Ski Doo tank 10 gallons (it's actually 10.6 on an XS/XP) plus you 3.9 extra gas.  So just call it 13 gallons all together.  If you can get 12.2 mpg you will make it with about 1.5 gallons left.  Or you can stop at the sawmill (cash only)and top off, then, no worries.  

Where about is sawmill on the map?

The trail goes right thru the lot, pull to the pumps and someone will show up, have cash. The cafeteria is open weekdays, weekends is vending machines. It’s maybe 1/3 of the way between LaDore & Chibogmau. Some sweet trails up there.

5CF6AB05-8008-45A1-B0F5-A71FC533BD32.jpeg