Oxygen Helmets

MrGutz

Hey GuyZ and GalZ

I've had some PMs about the new Helmets and I want to give you a quick run down. This is not a technical eval.

-We needed new helmets and we were going to just renew the BV2Ses (500.00) each.

-The O2s were a little more.

-They fit tight, but are starting to mold\form to our heads and really fit nice.

-You will not be able to hear anyone if you stop for a quick chat with them on the trailz. They are quiet.

-Adjust them, the ear muffs move up and down and in and out with the pads. Take the time to do it.

-Wear a thin balaclava, this will help with getting the damn things on more than anything else. They are tight.

-Built in curtain works great. No need for a balaclava other than they are tight.

-No Breath Box!! Need I say more. (we are a bunch of Mouth Breathers and it kept them clear)

-The controls are nice and do something. I ran mine on low and it kept the shield clear with no problem.

-High is warm.... I mean warm..... Dry my contacts out warm.

-Rear light is bright. Nice.

-They fit the Uclear Amp Pro communicators like they were designed for them. Wire Paths and Cut-Outs.

-No-Hair's fuse popped on plugging in his to the Enduro.

** (Skidoo installed a micro fuse on the helmet port, it is not on any diagram, you should be able to find it under the dash (PITA) small hands helps.

-I would buy them again.

Any questions let me know.

Later

GutZ

Mr Gutz I just got back from 1,000 mi trip! Great view from helmet  I had Weather from 20° to 18 below zero  I wear glasses my glasses always fogged couldn't keep'em clear! Always had to keep shield cracked open!Disappointed  going back to my BV2 for next trip!!!

Really. I'm surprised, I don't wear glasses while riding but it was very warm even with the vents open.

Maybe you didnt have the vents open? I have to say those were not the easiest to operate.

The first day I did not even use the heated shield , except a couple times on the way back to the hotel (plugged into Bro's sled)

GutZ

That's what i thought, So what happens on a saddlebag trip and your your helmet doesn't work and its -25 in the morning out in the bush?  Helmet might be great if looping out of a hotel but how far could you go without power in the bush?

I went all day, and it did very well.

It was -10-15 all day, when the sun went down it did cloud up and I had to stop evey 1/2 - 3/4 hrs to use No-Hairs power port to clear it up.

I also have a spare cable\controller just in case.

GutZ

Just a quick trick i learned out of shear necessity.... To do a defog in the woods when all else fails take helmet off place it upside down under the exhaust pipe of a idling sled for 1 to  2 minutes about 6" -10"or so away from the pipe you will be surprised  that thing is as clear as when you came out of the motel in the morning . totally fog free and even slightly warm inside.

You may have to dig a small hole in the show to get it in place under the pipe but it sure works great

hope that helps

11 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

Just bought a new Modular 3. My old Mod2 worked great for 6 Years never fogged or iced up even in -30 temps and super warm.  Enough shit to go wrong and break on a bag trip, don't need another thing to add to the list. Plus a third of the price!

A BIG X2 Jackstraw. I’m on my third modular helmet as well and they have NEVER let me down with fogging, EVER

there is plenty I don’t like about the helmet but worrying/having fogging will never be one of them.

Gutz I’m glad its working out for you and I’m sure in ways it’s an awesome helmet. I tried one on at the Syracuse show. I just couldn’t take the chance of the power cord or source breaking and leaving me F**ked out in the bush.  I even desperately tried to get the BV2 to work for me when it came out as it has way better features/functions than a modular but sadly it didn’t work out in the end.

Haven’t been riding yet so haven’t tried mine. However my buddies son text me from lsg last night and his shield is foggy inside. Checked dootalk and apparently others having shield issues. Now im nervous going away next weekend and having sight issues. 

10 minutes ago, Mxzeerider said:

Supposedly there's an updated shield out for O2 helmet. Mine has nasty streaks between lenses. Wore it for 100 miles in 10°f. Got a new shield coming Tuesday 

Is there some sort of recall? Or was this from your dealer? BTW how is everyone running their cords to the power source.Thanks

No breath box sounds nice in theory, but as it's been posted already it makes no sense if any link fails.

So (this is gonna sound kinda Fugazi, and doesn't address defects between lenses)...

Can you keep a cheepo pleather velcro deflector in your pocket?

Or would that not help since the bodacious neck curtain traps everything in anyway?

breathbox.jpg

Edited by PLAYHARD

4 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

One of the fixes on Dootalk is a thick bead of clear silicone around the entire perimeter of the shield. That would probably look wonderful! Maybe a couple colored beads set into it to dress it up?

Seal the shield with glue, put on the helmet and just sit on the sled and take a trip without starting the engine.  Anyone else miss the 1960's?

30 minutes ago, mikerider said:

Seal the shield with glue, put on the helmet and just sit on the sled and take a trip without starting the engine.  Anyone else miss the 1960's?

Some Dead tunes playing,  may need something stronger then glue? At least I'm enjoying the ride!

Great topic and feedback. I was seriously thinking of buying one , now I will stick with the Modular that has never let me down. On my third one and I wish they could have just made some tweets to the same helmet. It's hard to give up what works and go to a new unproven product. By the sounds of it, waiting for the revised unit is the way to go on this one.