Oxygen Helmets

MrGutz

24 minutes ago, anysledwilldoo said:

Great topic and feedback. I was seriously thinking of buying one , now I will stick with the Modular that has never let me down. On my third one and I wish they could have just made some tweets to the same helmet. It's hard to give up what works and go to a new unproven product. By the sounds of it, waiting for the revised unit is the way to go on this one.

Couldn’t have said it better. I’ll stick with something that has never let me down. Also on third one. If BRP would have kept the upper vent in and added a nice chin skirt and light on the back of the modular 3  it would be the best helmet ever made for sledding.

Thought I would copy a post that I put on DooTalk a couple weeks ago after my first 300 miles with my O2...

Vision and comfort is amazing vs Bv2S (I have had 3 since 2006)
Size runs big (I use L vs XL on Bv2S)
Smoke visor that comes std is only good in bright sun (purchased amber). Super easy to change
Visor doesn’t come down far enough
Will be adding one strip of electrical tape to top edge of visor for sun shielding
Tried sunglasses but couldn’t get them to not fog (more attempts coming)
Visor fogged periodically and didn’t quickly de-fog in the up position
Shield never fogged
Helmet very warm, especially on high (too warm unless cruising along at 50+mph. (temps +10F - +20F)
Fit is excellent, but takes some trial and error (haven’t tried clava yet)
Drinking from a thermos is a challenge
Feels lighter and easier on your neck
Power cord fits great down through Klim jacket between the coat and the liner and attaches to the tether clip.

Biggest concern - too much moisture builds up in the helmet. If you ride with it cracked open for a while (15 minutes) when you just want to cool down, ice can form on the seal and the shield will not close. I think BRP needs to find a way to let more fresh air in. Or exhaust more spent air. (I am 5ft10” and 155 lbs so i am not one of these sweaty mouth-breathers that other threads have joked about). At the end of the day (or even at lunch) there is considerable moisture trapped in the protective collar. Pretty much soaked at the end.

I've got 1450 miles on my O2 helmet, and I have had no real issues.  It iced up once bad, but the freezing precip could not be beat by anyone in my group.  I'm coming from a Bvs2, and although that helmet was very good, I'd say this one is better, due to the field of view and ease of operation, does not seem to be as finicky.  Most of my miles have been without it plugged in, but when things get interesting, or super cold at night, plugging it in has always kept the shield clear.  It's a lot of money, but at this point, I'd say it is worth it.

45 minutes ago, Mxzeerider said:

Got my new shield today, it exactly the same as my previous one. Hope it doesn't leave streaks on our Quebec trip next week 

Did you go through your dealer for this?  Mine did not know about it?

It's hard for me to justify the money for the O2 when I'm still in my ten year old Mod 2. Outside of loosing one of the screws to hold the shield on I have not had one thing to complain about. I even tried a BV2 and it didn't make the cut. Ended up buying a new Mod2 in Matane and shipping the BV2 back home in 2015. That was NOT a cheap trip that year! 

But thanks for the info about the new ones guys! Maybe next year!!!

Edited by wulsock1

1 hour ago, Yeti62 said:

Hey MXZeerider  did ski Doo give you a free shield? Any type of a recall ?

Yes i got my replacement shield free of charge. I'm not sure if it's recall, but from what I've heard, i think it should be. We're talking about $600+ helmet here.

Helmets have a 4 year warranty I believe. My buddy was out om the weekend and his shield is no good. Dealer replaced it. According to Dootalk there was a comment from one of the admin who is after the BRP reps, etc to make a statement on these. Will see I guess.  I thinking of buying an extra shield to put in my bag this weekend in case 1 of the 3 of us has an issue. Hope it works out.

4 hours ago, 182ray said:

Just talked to my dealer. They suggested having the sales receipt with you in the event you need to return the shield. She's emailing a copy of the receipt.

I would be quite disappointed if I was asked for a receipt this winter, they have only become available this year!!

I just spoke with the local. They had just ordered 10 more in since I talked to her Monday. I asked if I could buy 2 in case we needed them over the weekend if there was failures. She said Mike take them and if you need them then its warranty next week, if not just return them.

I drive  an Arctic Cat. If and when I do buy a doo, they are my dealer. I always hear stories like that from this dealer and they are not a small shop either. Always service first.

4 hours ago, smclelan said:

I would be quite disappointed if I was asked for a receipt this winter, they have only become available this year!!

That disappointment will only be exceeded by the disappointment of the shield or some other part failing for a helmet of this price

Been wearing mine since Saturday 1/5 here in Quebec it’s the most comfortable one ever, very warm tiny little fog spot right above where it latches at the bottom. Have to run the controller at max the whole time but I never read the instructions so not sure if that’s normal or not. 

Edited by Pipeman