Oxygen Helmets

MrGutz

$160 HJC full face, w/ electric shield . I run with no breath deflector, cant see bringing extra snot and saliva along for the ride.  I carry spare cords in case of issues.

i wear cheap sunglasses as long as its above 0F(-18c) without issues. Super cold weather and they fog..

Have had the odd temporary failure, but its almost always at the connections. Dry em off, good to go. But, you have to be easy on the connection where the wire meets the helmut. That is the delicate point that can break, and then the wires move at the shield. Been running similar setups for 15 yrs.

4 new oxygen helmets in our group, collectively 3000 miles, if the visor lasts the first few days all good, seems like the inner heated part of visor comes unglued( 2of 4) . We rode over 500 miles this weekend with 3 of them in minus 25. The experience can only be described as looking out a picture window with zero wind or leaks, almost too warm inside helmet. Control has to be on 3 when cold out, you cannot drive with it cracked open, some ice forms on the inside in the very lower part. If you stop on the trail in very cold weather and open the visor sometimes you cannot get it to click down again from ice buildup at seal area. Lots of internet doom and gloom about these new helmets,  BUT.  Truly remarkably better than previous BVS or modular. Once they get visor sorted you will see lots on the trails. Hey Ray you should be good with 2 not 6.  no worries ours all good now.  

kmkw - 

Glad you posted about the freezing up with the shield cracked open.  I noticed the same issue.  Also agree that it is almost too warm on high setting.   I think this is due to too much moisture/breath getting trapped in the helmet because there is really no place for it to go.

Did any of you notice moisture (ala Bv2S) getting on the protective collar?  Mine is pretty soaked at the end of the day.  I am considering removing it and just relying on my balaclava to keep my neck warm.

GW

with no balaclava, helmet ,skirt soaked at end of long day. even my shirt was wet at neck line, mind you 200 plus miles at minus 27 with few stops. did notice the warm on your face even at cold temps went away if you used the sun visor..Also noted that the front small vents completely freeze up on long rides very cold days

My main gripe is yup when you stop to do something on the trail and you flip the shield open all the ice that forms around the bottom of the black seal  from the condensation and as stated you cannot get the shield to latch again, serious pain in the ass and the black rubber gasket will eventually be compromised as I’m chipping the ice away so that you can get the shield to latch again. Not sure how updating the shield is going to fix that? 

1 hour ago, viper2 said:

Man and I thought the 509 Modular was a mess, they should have done more testing on these before they turned them loose

To me it seems like the old deep sea diving helmets with the air hose. Can you stop and talk on the trail? Can you take a drink or have a smoke with it on?

Jackstraw that's the problem I had for a week can't have a drink or a cigarette comfortable had to ride with the shield cracked open or my glasses fogged up -15 out a little chilly on the face!! Next trip back to the BVS2!! Oxygen on Craigslist!!

Day 1. Wore the same heavy choko balaclava I used with my BV2S, left at -22, made it 3km and had to stop and open the vents. The Oxygen is an extremely warm helmet. A bit of frigging with the visor up and down but got the day in. Switched the dark sunvisor for the yellow one, big improvement. At this point I was  still unsure if this was a good purchase. 

Day 2. Switched to a thinner balaclava, everything changed. The helmet worked much better.  The visor would still get some condensation but put it up a couple minutes and it is good to go again. 

My opinion with two days wearing this, it is better then my previous BV2S. It is quieter, better air sealed and considerably lighter. After a long day of riding you don't have a sore neck. Plus no mouth piece, a definite bonus!! Is if perfect, no, but worth the extra $$ over the BV2S. The Oxygen could be too warm  for March riding   I will add more if I see anything note worthy over the next few days of the ride.

Just my $0.02 worth.

I wore it the first day with no balaclava and it was fine but only about 30 degrees so no issues. Very comfortable helmet and as the temp dropped below zero I wore the Doo balaclava which is thin and that was plenty warm and still comfortable. I was able to drink water etc with it on just push down a bit on the rubber deflector, no issue. Dealer is replacing my shield so we’ll see how the new one does when I head back to Quebec. 

On 1/11/2019 at 9:44 PM, NHTOM said:

and then the wires move at the shield

We drilled a batch of BVS2 shields to take the wire out thru the siliconed holes above the sealed heated section to avoid the skinny wires (eventually) breaking in the hinge loop. 

On 1/4/2019 at 12:51 PM, MrGutz said:

Hey GuyZ and GalZ

I've had some PMs about the new Helmets and I want to give you a quick run down. This is not a technical eval.

-We needed new helmets and we were going to just renew the BV2Ses (500.00) each.

-The O2s were a little more.

-They fit tight, but are starting to mold\form to our heads and really fit nice.

-You will not be able to hear anyone if you stop for a quick chat with them on the trailz. They are quiet.

-Adjust them, the ear muffs move up and down and in and out with the pads. Take the time to do it.

-Wear a thin balaclava, this will help with getting the damn things on more than anything else. They are tight.

-Built in curtain works great. No need for a balaclava other than they are tight.

-No Breath Box!! Need I say more. (we are a bunch of Mouth Breathers and it kept them clear)

-The controls are nice and do something. I ran mine on low and it kept the shield clear with no problem.

-High is warm.... I mean warm..... Dry my contacts out warm.

-Rear light is bright. Nice.

-They fit the Uclear Amp Pro communicators like they were designed for them. Wire Paths and Cut-Outs.

-No-Hair's fuse popped on plugging in his to the Enduro.

** (Skidoo installed a micro fuse on the helmet port, it is not on any diagram, you should be able to find it under the dash (PITA) small hands helps.

-I would buy them again.

Any questions let me know.

Later

GutZ

Best helmet hands down. Light, warm, awesome vision. Buy one👍

5 hours ago, skidooccio said:

2500 miles on it so far. Some pretty extreme Québec conditions. Absolutely no issues. If it gets close to ice or fog, I plug it in and it’s perfect. Best helmet for me ever. 

Wow 2500 miles this year already! I could only dream