Oxygen Helmets

MrGutz

On 1/15/2019 at 9:21 PM, PLAYHARD said:

We drilled a batch of BVS2 shields to take the wire out thru the siliconed holes above the sealed heated section to avoid the skinny wires (eventually) breaking in the hinge loop. 

Great idea. Thats always the weak point.

Dont know if any folks on here saw todays temps. Its -18F at 1pm in St Michel, -14f at Shawinigan. Nasty cold. Today is one of those "test your helmet and shield" days that Im glad Im missing.

Rode with mikerider and Joe from RDL to St Pamphile last Thursday.  Coldest day of the year.  Started off at -10F and droppped to -19F soon when we got in the woods.  

I had my O2 helmet on high the entire trip.  Was a little too warm in the sun at times, but zero fogging.   Temp never got above zero.  The tinted shield did fog a bit after a stop, but it cleared within 2-3 minutes.  Pretty amazing.  Joe had his on also and he says it is the best $600 he ever spent!

They must not have had any test riders that wear glasses. I've worn the helmet for 6 days in temps from +25f to -25f the only way I could keep my glasses from fogging was to crack the shield. I didn't pay $600 to ride around with the shield cracked. The worst $600 I ever spent.

9 hours ago, Yeti62 said:

My exact words 182Ray! Apparently nobody wears glasses!!thats why iam back to the BVS2!!!!

Couldn't find a decent lid years ago, and contacts were no bueno, so (just for snowmobiling) I got Lasik in 2000.  SO SO SO happy.

20 minutes ago, PLAYHARD said:

Couldn't find a decent lid years ago, and contacts were no bueno, so (just for snowmobiling) I got Lasik in 2000.  SO SO SO happy.

I got Lasik in Montreal in 2002 for the same reason. I use to wear contacts when I rode, but some days when it was super cold I could actually feel them getting crunchy.

Best medical outcome ever. 

11 hours ago, 182ray said:

They must not have had any test riders that wear glasses. I've worn the helmet for 6 days in temps from +25f to -25f the only way I could keep my glasses from fogging was to crack the shield. I didn't pay $600 to ride around with the shield cracked. The worst $600 I ever spent.

I wonder if you should try a new shield before throwing in the towel, maybe you have a defect seal mentioned above.

29 minutes ago, smclelan said:

I wonder if you should try a new shield before throwing in the towel, maybe you have a defect seal mentioned above.

Farmerold wears glasses and he didn't have a problem and we rode in -15 temps.. He did say his glasses would fog for 1/2  mile and then clear up and be fine. When I turn the setting on high you can actually feel the heat inside the helmet.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick Update!

Took the 3 O2s to the Dealer (PLT in Pittsfield, Ma), they knew about the Warranty Bulletin, Ordered 3 new shields, came in with a warranty explanation.

Shields are not bad to replace, does take a bit of fiddling.

No Rainbows in new shields, no separation out of the box.

I'll let you know more once we ride again!

Later

GutZ

12 minutes ago, MrGutz said:

Quick Update!

Took the 3 O2s to the Dealer (PLT in Pittsfield, Ma), they knew about the Warranty Bulletin, Ordered 3 new shields, came in with a warranty explanation.

Later

GutZ

Do you happen to a picture of new shields? 

1 hour ago, MrGutz said:

Quick Update!

Later

GutZ

So are these new and improved or just new replacements?

I've had no issues yet, famous last words but curious to see if they actually have a fix

Thanks

Mike