Oxygen Helmets

MrGutz

18 hours ago, smclelan said:

I just replaced the power cord yesterday, and replaced the shield after my first trip. The helmet worked very well today.

SM, I had some high hopes for this helmet, but have been disappointed twice now , lost the first shield to internal moisture between the shields, early in the season, replaced the shield, used locally a few times but did not trust it for the New. Brunswick trip  in January, than replaced the power cord and shield with the new “updated” one last week, Left last Monday for a week trip in the Gouin reservoir area, and lost the new shield on the first day to moisture leak. It was crappy weather with ran, sleet and ice most of the day but  when moisture gets between the shields forget it.

Ended up at the BRP dealer in St Raymond, purchased a new BV2 and shipped the OXY back home Purolater.  Not reliable enough for me unfortunately. 🙁

I will have the dealer send mine back, maybe try again later in a year or two.

Happy Trails!

RR

Hey MR Gutz;

Thanks for the review of the Oxygen helmet. My friend and I both bought them this year and were excited to get them. Here are our observations;

1)  They  fit tight  but pulling the straps to spread the helmet so to speak aids in donning this beast. 

2) Ear cups  for noise abatement are  down right painful. There is no way else to describe it. After two days of fiddling and adjusting we both gave up and removed them- Alas freedom!  the next years version should have different sized earcups as options. 

3) The peripheral vision is terrific and much appreciated when crossing road ways. The shield seems optically correct.  When in the up position be careful when  moving around as you can bump in to things and other folks with Oxygen helmets!  My friend and I had dueling shields more than once!

4)  The neck warmer is too short . It needs to be at least two inches longer all the way around. Lots of wind goes down our backs and makes us feel cold . To fix this you need a very thin balaclava with Gore Windstopper material around the neck.  .  Zip up jacket and leave  helmet neck warmer outside . This seals all wind.

5) At high speeds the helmet shakes and makes vision somewhat harder.  I believe it to be the odd  sculpted helmet shape and the wings on the lower sides.

6) Light on back of helmet is a great safety feature and is operated by the machine electrical system and not a battery.

7)  Magnetic proximity sensor heated shield cord is a nice feature. We disconnect at the helmet when we get off the machine. Its easier than disconnecting  at the machine.

8  The drop down fighter pilot sun visor is optically correct  is very easy on the eyes but hits your nose when looking to either side.   It should have  minor  down ward stop adjustments .

9)  The heated shield cord has memory and will remember settings  when machine is shut off. The highest setting keeps the inside way warmer  but glasses still fog up under certain conditions.

10)  If you remove the breath deflector you can eat and drink with the helmet on.

11)  Ventilation thumbwheel works well  and there is sufficent  air that comes thru.

12) I lay bets that version 2 will have these  issues addressed.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting update.  I went into my ski doo dealer today, I told them my second shield was defective and wanted a replacement.  The service manager told me he just got an update, BRP has come out with a new improved shield that should be free of moisture leaks. They will be available in good quantities on February 25th.  I am going to holding out till then.

33 minutes ago, doo4adoo said:

Got a call Friday afternoon that my new shield was in. These are a 1v9 so different. Just in time for my weekend run. Worked well so far. 

Is this a recall or does the shield need to fail? Thanks

• 11 months later...

Purchased my Oxygen helmet this past fall. Went on my season opener six day saddle bag tour. Riding temps ranged from +20 F to -20 F . Over all very pleased with helmet. Just some learning curves to adjust shield  temp and crack open  shield for small periods of time especially when stopped on trail to rest and then back on the move. Getting use to the magnetic wire hook up say when you stop in A Relais . My experience was to take the magnet end of helmet and clip to jacket were I have the remote temp settings attached.

Yes two of us experienced this last week.  The other guy also had ice under that black cap for the shield and was giving him power problems.  I had a power cord go bad in ten days of riding not happy.  Will be talking to dealer Saturday.  I want a refund.  On a side note my gf ckx mission helmet worked perfect.

On 2/26/2020 at 6:26 AM, Fozzy said:

What do you guys do with your helmets when going for lunch? Bring them to your table or put them in the rack? $700 to $800 helmet I would be worried of someone stealing it.

I leave mine on a rack.  Most of the places I go to in Quebec the racks are not far from the table.  One exception might be Meekoos.

On 2/26/2020 at 6:26 AM, Fozzy said:

What do you guys do with your helmets when going for lunch? Bring them to your table or put them in the rack? $700 to $800 helmet I would be worried of someone stealing it.

I remember once at Repo someone took a helmet by accident, same style, same brand but not his and took off not realizing it. 

On 2/24/2020 at 3:07 PM, Blueblood said:

Yes two of us experienced this last week.  The other guy also had ice under that black cap for the shield and was giving him power problems.  I had a power cord go bad in ten days of riding not happy.  Will be talking to dealer Saturday.  I want a refund.  On a side note my gf ckx mission helmet worked perfect.

I've had a few small issues with my Oxygen helmet too (cord failure, shield issue, etc.).  That said it's still by far the best helmet I've ever owned.  All problems have been addressed by my dealer no questions asked at no cost to me.  I didn't realise how nice it is until I was at a dealer and saw a ckx mission helmet on the shelf.  So I figured why not try it on.  Nice lid, but man do you ever feel confined after getting used to the Oxygen.  Sight lines are not nearly as good and the neck liner is 1/2 what you get in the Oxygen.  Definately happy with what I bought and no plans to go back.