ferry kaputt !!!

groomer

hi all !!!

just read quickly that they are having rough time to find another ferry to replace the f-a gauthier in matane !!!

keep an eye on that link ..

https://www.traversiers.com/en/our-ferries/matane-baie-comeau-godbout-ferry/home/

i don t want to be bossy ...maybe the administration could pin a message to help others to remember !!!

jean-guy

DSC_4211.JPG

5 minutes ago, groomer said:

hi all !!!

just read quickly that they are having rough time to find another ferry to replace the f-a gauthier in matane !!!

https://www.traversiers.com/en/our-ferries/matane-baie-comeau-godbout-ferry/home/

i don t want to be bossy ...maybe the administration could pin a message to help others to remember !!!

jean-guy

DSC_4211.JPG

Pinned!  Good idea Jean Guy, thanks. 

Maybe you could make a trail. But don't forget the wet suit and life jacket. 

bonsoir smclelan and shore 1066 !!!

thought of pinning about the ferry ...before someone kaputt his trip too !!!

not a bad idea about  the trail ...but i don t i don t think i could get enough speed to get across !!!

imagine in big waves !!! better look for a snorkel !!!

jean-guy

falllllssss!!!!!! 177.jpg

22 minutes ago, viper2 said:

I thought there were a few ferries that did not run in the winter why not use one of them 

hi viper !!!

from what i  ve read....they looked all over canada and beyond !!!

jean-guy

51 minutes ago, viper2 said:

I thought there were a few ferries that did not run in the winter why not use one of them 

The ferry that makes this crossing has to be heavily reinforced for ice breaking. Andyman and I were making the crossing a few years ago and the ferry got locked in the ice for 13hrs, a Canadian Coast Gaurd ice breaker had to be brought in to free it. 

10 hours ago, smclelan said:

The ferry that makes this crossing has to be heavily reinforced for ice breaking. Andyman and I were making the crossing a few years ago and the ferry got locked in the ice for 13hrs, a Canadian Coast Gaurd ice breaker had to be brought in to free it. 

Tell the rest of the story smclelan. Heard it was “stinky”

Edited by snowmaster2112

16 hours ago, groomer said:

hi all !!!

jean-guy

DSC_4211.JPG

Jean-guy, looks like that boat needs some Flex Tape lol.

We got stuck in the ice one night they then sent the CG ice cutter they got stuck too we finally made into Matane about midnight when we should have arrived at 7 pm

The ferry Cold smoke & his Dad were on turned back to the north shore & then they hitched a ride sleds & all down to Quebec City & got dropped off on the south side of the bridge

3 hours ago, Snobeeler said:

Jean-guy, looks like that boat needs some Flex Tape lol.

hi snobeeler !!!

haha...yaaa....and maybe a new plug too !!!😀

well , they say when you go to bed ...can give you great advices...

i was thinking about shore1066 idea to make a trail......

shore1066...if interested...you could sit on the passenger and take care of gps stuff and blowing the horn....and me driving pedal to the metal !!!

if this work ...we could plug the ''scenic car ''...and get qr members across the st lawrence river...we won t need to take care about thickness of the ice...there s already a '' heavy duty '' front bumper...we could make good money !!!

jean-guy

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG

DSC_0019.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0001.JPG

3 hours ago, groomer said:

hi snobeeler !!!

haha...yaaa....and maybe a new plug too !!!😀

well , they say when you go to bed ...can give you great advices...

i was thinking about shore1066 idea to make a trail......

shore1066...if interested...you could sit on the passenger and take care of gps stuff and blowing the horn....and me driving pedal to the metal !!!

if this work ...we could plug the ''scenic car ''...and get qr members across the st lawrence river...we won t need to take care about thickness of the ice...there s already a '' heavy duty '' front bumper...we could make good money !!!

jean-guy

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG

DSC_0019.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0001.JPG

hey , JG , you been in the wine bottle this after noon??

Looks like that pic  was taken from your easy chair ..

I'm planning to take the ferry from Matane to Baie Comeau on Tuesday Feb 5.  I have a reservation and they haven't contacted me about any cancellations.  If I am reading the French correctly it says they are taking the ferry to dry dock and should be back "around" Jan 30.  This is cutting it close.  So, if this ferry isn't fixed, does that mean I'm stuck in Matane?  My ability to read the French is limited so anyone that knows more French would be a big help.  I can't seem to find anything about this in English. It will really change my saddle bag trip if I can't take the ferry to the North Shore of the flueve.

I ready a article today that was two days ago that there was going to be service next Tuesday.  Something about finding another ferry. I Googled Matane ferry problems.  We also plan on crossing in the river in February about the 11th. 

Now if it isn't running JG we will strap 50 gallon drums on the side of that groomer and give her a try. I think we can make it. Lol

18 minutes ago, fredsleds said:

I'm planning to take the ferry from Matane to Baie Comeau on Tuesday Feb 5.  I have a reservation and they haven't contacted me about any cancellations.  If I am reading the French correctly it says they are taking the ferry to dry dock and should be back "around" Jan 30.  This is cutting it close.  So, if this ferry isn't fixed, does that mean I'm stuck in Matane?  My ability to read the French is limited so anyone that knows more French would be a big help.  I can't seem to find anything about this in English. It will really change my saddle bag trip if I can't take the ferry to the North Shore of the flueve.

hi fredsled !!!

what i read yesterday !!!

The Société des traversiers du Québec (STQ) is actively seeking a vessel to rent around the world for the month of February.

The CTMA Vacancier, who will make the crossings starting January 8th, will have to leave for the Îles-de-la-Madeleine at the end of the month.

The F.-A.-Gauthier ferry will be dry-docked at the Davie shipyard for two weeks starting January 14th. As it is unlikely that it will be repaired by the end of the month, the STQ is considering all scenarios to offer the service, says spokesman Alexandre Lavoie. We are looking for a ship all over the world that could come to take over, he explains.

The ship must be available quickly and, most importantly, it must be able to navigate the ice.

All scenarios are on the table. We are not only looking for Quebec or Canada.

jean-guy

22 minutes ago, eddieskidoo said:

hey , JG , you been in the wine bottle this after noon??

Looks like that pic  was taken from your easy chair ..

hi eddie !!!

hahaha...great to hear from you !!!

no....very quiet with rouge since moose hunting !!!

took pics from the porch around 8 am....train was late by 3 hrs !!!

mild temps....-6c ...grey sky !!

jean-guy

7 minutes ago, Shore1066 said:

I ready a article today that was two days ago that there was going to be service next Tuesday.  Something about finding another ferry. I Googled Matane ferry problems.  We also plan on crossing in the river in February about the 11th. 

Now if it isn't running JG we will strap 50 gallon drums on the side of that groomer and give her a try. I think we can make it. Lol

ahahha..

i was planning  to get across with the train ...more hp....with a good swing ...we should make it !!!

jean-guy

2 hours ago, fredsleds said:

Oops that's Wednesday Feb 6, not Tuesday

I would start planning a back up plan. you will be cutting it way to close. If you have never been on the ferry maybe do another time, your not really missing much just wastes sledding time imo.

Thanks to all, I've still got a bit of time to make other plans.  Was planning on leaving QC to RDL, then to Auberge la Coulee douce, then Matane to Baie Comeau and back to QC on the North Shore via Tadoussac and Fairmont Richelieu.  I could always just stay South and run back to QC that way.  Let's all try and keep up with the ferry status.  I've been on the ferry to Ilse au Courdres, it's not about the ferry, just wanted to show my son (first time to Quebec) both sides of the flueve.  Anyway, hope they find a replacement soon!!

22 minutes ago, NSHM said:

This needs to be asked...

Does anybody know what the ferry crossing will be like in 2 weeks??:search:

I heard on the news last night the government found another ferry. here's an article in french. beginning this week

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/regional/201901/07/01-5210187-reprise-de-la-traverse-matane-baie-comeau-godbout.php

31 minutes ago, Mid Range said:

I heard on the news last night the government found another ferry. here's an article in french. beginning this week

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/regional/201901/07/01-5210187-reprise-de-la-traverse-matane-baie-comeau-godbout.php

Here’s a translation of the article

The Matane-Baie-Comeau-Godbout ferry service will resume on Tuesday, according to the usual schedule.

The service had to be interrupted last December 17, the eve of the holiday season, due to a failure of the F-Gauthier ferry propellers.

The Société des traversiers du Québec then set up an air link between Matane and Baie-Comeau. Only the pedestrian clientele, however, could use it, forcing motorists and truckers to make a detour of several hundred kilometers.

From Tuesday, the service will be provided by a boat of the Co-operative of maritime and air transport, the CTMA Vacancier, until the end of January.

In the meantime, the STQ has indicated that F.-A.-Gauthier will be in dry dock in Lévis from January 14, for a period of about two weeks. Visual inspections and advanced analysis will be conducted to accurately determine the nature of the problem.

In the meantime, the STQ is concentrating its efforts on quickly finding a replacement vessel. She points out that none of the other vessels in the fleet have the size or certification required to navigate this maritime area in winter.

Research has been conducted in Quebec, Canada and internationally. STQ says it is in discussion with potential partners.

"There are very, very concrete scenarios on the table, discussions with partners as we speak. We are not far from the goal at this time, "said Alexandre Lavoie, spokesman for the Société des traversiers du Québec.

Mr. Lavoie did not want to specify whether F.-A.-Gauthier was removed from the water for a short or long term. "Too early to say for the moment, we will wait for the results of the analyzes to decide," he said.

Hello 

up-date on Ferry service to Mutane they just answered my email about service in February

Hello !

Yes there’s a  replacement ferry for the month of February 2019 and the schedule will change.

We will have more information this week about that.

You can call us next week, we will having more information at that time

Thats Great news now I can start making our reservations

Zrtkat & Crew