When will it stop?

iceman

Baie St. Paul

Encore 2 moose chased by sleds and ultimately dead from exhaustion. Makes me sick and outraged, if I ever see it done in person it won’t be the moose dead on side of trail this I assure you.

#bailmeout #iceneedsbailmoney

4794FB09-59BB-4E35-BDFE-7130220D39CA.thumb.jpeg.b87f8655c708a113f76742eaa52ab92c.jpeg

Edited by iceman

Post your tips for getting around them here, I could use some. I ended up passing two in the trail, that's like Russian roulette and scares the hell out of you. Once in VT and once near Club Scott he wouldn't get out of the trail using my technique, chase them around the corner, shut off the sled and wait, repeat...I wonder if an air horn would work?

I wish we could find these people and fine them like poaching.  Our take away there right to use the trails.  Four years of Quebec riding I have yet to see one.  People in my groups have but I didn't get the chance.  I believe I saw one time the meat is saved and donated to the poor?

sad to see that ...

air horn....hmmm...might paralyze there and look at you with  his worse smile ...

if this happen to me....stop for a while ... see if he s smiling or not ...look at the ears...

if still happy ...make noise ...clapping hands and talk to him ...if in a bad mood ...wait and don t bs !!!

jean-guy

DSC_0084.JPG

1 hour ago, Jackstraw said:

Really hate to see this also, but i also think that a lot of riders have no idea what to do in that situation or that they can get exhausted that quickly and die. Tips and education would go along way.

Remember that bull in Moose Valley who would not get off the trail....

5 hours ago, smclelan said:

Moose on the trails is a part of snowmobiling in Quebec. 

That’s what they say. But 11 years in Quebec and I still haven’t seen a moose on the trail. Not in Vermont, Not in Maine, Not in Ontario either. Maybe I need to ride the Gaspe more. 

4 hours ago, Blueblood said:

I wish we could find these people and fine them like poaching.  Our take away there right to use the trails.  Four years of Quebec riding I have yet to see one.  People in my groups have but I didn't get the chance.  I believe I saw one time the meat is saved and donated to the poor?

Take away their motoneige!

24 minutes ago, SkippyDoo said:

That’s what they say. But 11 years in Quebec and I still haven’t seen a moose on the trail. Not in Vermont, Not in Maine, Not in Ontario either. Maybe I need to ride the Gaspe more. 

It’s fun for about a minute but last thing they want to do is jump into chest deep snow. We saw moose on the Clairmont Express in December.

37 minutes ago, SkippyDoo said:

Very rare for me to do a loop in the Gaspesie and not see at least one. 

They are truly majestic creatures to wade the deep snow all winter and survive. Then to have some jackass run one to death....very sad.

:  (  I'm with Iceman on this one. We need an "ANGRY" emoji for postings of this like.  Hopefully never again.  My wife & I have often turned around when the wait was too long. Albeit we were not on destination runs but if we were I am thinking the wait would become an extended wait.  

1 hour ago, SkippyDoo said:

Ride Pittsburg NH...Early morning...Dusk....

Yesteryear provided a higher percentage of sightings in comparison to current times but we remain fortunate to encounter them here in Pittsburg. Sadly in recent years the moose have died because of TIC infestation..as many as 47,000 tics have found on a single moose. the tic literally sucks the blood out of them. They also suffer from a  worm/ brain disease where the moose literally becomes lethargic / incoherent & NHFG respond & put the moose out of its misery. 

I was think  about the issue this AM on the drive in, I'm thinking Moose Pepper Spray! Not really, but try and follow me. Moose have huge noses, meaning in general they can scent people, sleds, etc from a good distance. They don't seem to care too much about us. What do they care about? Wolves, Bears, Wookavoors (Half man\ Half Pig), etc....

A small amount of "X" in the air may make them think they need to move on. Even ( I am not supporting spraying pepper spray at moose ) some spray on a rag in the couple zip locks, take it out twirl it in the air, may be enough to urge the big guys out of the way and maybe make them associate Sleds with Wolves, Bears, etc....

Just thinking out loud. 

I am not an Outdoorsy Guy, and may be way off base.

Later

GutZ

33 minutes ago, MrGutz said:

I was think  about the issue this AM on the drive in, I'm thinking Moose Pepper Spray! Not really, but try and follow me. Moose have huge noses, meaning in general they can scent people, sleds, etc from a good distance. They don't seem to care too much about us. What do they care about? Wolves, Bears, Wookavoors (Half man\ Half Pig), etc....

A small amount of "X" in the air may make them think they need to move on. Even ( I am not supporting spraying pepper spray at moose ) some spray on a rag in the couple zip locks, take it out twirl it in the air, may be enough to urge the big guys out of the way and maybe make them associate Sleds with Wolves, Bears, etc....

Just thinking out loud. 

I am not an Outdoorsy Guy, and may be way off base.

Later

GutZ

Actually the concept is a good one.  Let them smell something that is not pleasant (or maybe even dangerous) and they will move on.  Flip side of this though could be say you used bear scent, after a while of seeing sleds that smell like bear and the sledders don't really endanger them, they may not associate bear scent with danger anymore and that could be deadly for them when a real bear is present and they don't sense an emergency anymore until its too late.  Just thinking...

Gutz should be our test dummy....   ;)

Just now, Triggerhappy said:

Actually the concept is a good one.  Let them smell something that is not pleasant (or maybe even dangerous) and they will move on.  Flip side of this though could be say you used bear scent, after a while of seeing sleds that smell like bear and the sledders don't really endanger them, they may not associate bear scent with danger anymore and that could be deadly for them when a real bear is present and they don't sense an emergency anymore until its too late.  Just thinking...

Gutz should be our test dummy....   😉

I'm on it!! You need a dummy, i'm your man!!

It was either this or continue my Alligator Dentistry Practice....

GutZ

This moose here was behind my cousins house not far from mine.  This was the youngster and the mom was around watching it.  The youngster was acting very strange and we watched it for the day.  It basically would almost let you pet it, but we kept back and watched it. It wouldn't leave.  The next morning it was still there.  Called the encon officer and they watched it a bit and they decided it was sick with the "brain worm" (which can get passed on from moose to moose).  they shot the youngster and the test did come back positive for brain worm.  it was a shame.

moose.JPG

1 hour ago, Jackstraw said:

We could give out an annual end of season QR Dumbass of the season trophy!  May need more then one trophy though?

I was in the running for the Darwin Award, but I just couldn't really commit to winning.

GutZ

It seems to be there are people who are not aware that this can happen. With that said it think it's unfair to call everyone who runs a moose to death bad names. I'm sure some people do know but not everyone.Until the issue hit QR last year I did't know either.  So maybe someone on here can educate us.

What is a safe ( for the moose ) distance to follow them.Is it  100 feet, one mile, two miles, ten ? I don't know and I'm sure most others don't either.