Season starter

Finally after spending the entire holidays on my back sick as a dog drooling over all the sledding posts, I’m feeling well enough on the last week end before returning to work to brave the outdoors. From the reads I’m getting, the closest snow and trails are a 2 1/2 hour drive away, St.Zenon. Not the ideal area I like to ride in but we will be only riding out of it. Couple phone calls later I got team assembled, Grumpysanta, Vrini and yours truly, reservations made, sled loaded and were off, yup last minute.

We got the last room at Cabanon Friday night, they were booked for Saturday and pretty much everywhere with in a 100 klm radius, everyone’s up there riding. 

Destination, Barrage Gouin 350 ish klms, 345 360 83 and the Gouin trail. 

345 out the gate is a little thin, skippy off rock caps and dodging patatoes till after the river, 360 short’n sweet then back on the 345. This is where it starts getting real nice. 345 up to Repos and it’s noon when we get to the driveway, we take a deep breathe and decide to bypass and head up the Kanawata express to Kanawata for gas and lunch, no one at the pump and quick service inside. Glad we opted for Kanawata, more on that later. 200 k from the Cab.

345 up to Casey sweet as always, after Casey the trail is labelled 83 doesn’t say east or west just 83, kinda confusing but before crossing the road from Wemotachi to Parent the trail detours to the west following the Manaouin river for about 10 klms when it conects to the 83. At the intersection from the east and west side of the 83 there are Casey Detour signs, why they detoured the trail I don’t know, yet! Trails are awesome and I’m behaving myself this week end, got some old timers with me! 

Gouin trail off the 83 was in fair shape till you got to the road going to Parent, on the other side into BG the trail was a single path with branches growing into the trail, last few klms was a little rough, we saw Jean in the trail dragging a crazy looking homemade sleigh with blades on it to cut the branches, very innovative.

BG walleye was bar none, service on the top and foxy was back, she even gave a pose. Josianne is no longer there, they have someone new now her name is Corina. Jean was very helpful with some off trail info but that’s for another time.

A little cooler in the morning and a little more snow on the ground for our departure, down to the road we go, enough of the branches. Buzz down to the Halteparche trail and reconnect with the 83, into Casey then do a little exploring, we’re coming back here another time in search of a trail to 100 Lacs. Buzz on down to Kanawata and it’s too early for the lunch so we take the express into Repos, now this is where it gets interesting....We have 175 k on the tanks and Repos is sold out of gas, sending everyone to Manawan so I dump my spare gas, Vrini with his 900 Expedition still has lots to spare. Grumpy would rather ride the 35 k to Manawan fuel up and ride back the 35 k rather than dumping his spare gas, so after tugging on his beard a bit we got him to dump his gas and stay away from Manawan. Good thing too, later on that.

Now we have roughly 1/2 to 3/4 tank of gas and are taking the 33 down to SMdS 100k, easy peasy. We get there using the shortest path possible, ran all the lakes, took the road around Taurau then crossed the reservoir into SMdS from Auberge Taurau. Got lots to spare, could’ve even made it back to the Cab. Everyone’s happy.

Now back to Manawan, when I got home I saw a post on FB, a quick video of the fuel line up at Repos on Saturday at 1:30 the post said they are all sold out of gas. On Sunday we were told to go to Manawan and I’m guess they everyone on saturday to do the same. Hmmm I’m judging with all the traffic Saturday afternoon and on Sunday it’s a high probability Manawan could’ve sold out as well. It was a tough call pulling on Grumpys beard, he’s a big guy!  615 klms for the weekend, not too tough on the bodies for the first one.

BA99E85B-CA11-4FCF-A5FD-22B004F55798.thumb.jpeg.6a837b634368ee30fea16abb6f3cade5.jpeg

A8C7EC50-14FD-4A5F-AB91-93311ABFB20D.thumb.jpeg.d51349a28fa8a961a7f9dc7439d81e89.jpeg

2FE88354-AF04-4FA4-90A1-D8C3867AD2B4.thumb.jpeg.d7eef39aba4ae78dc4469276b81ab5c9.jpeg

9301A742-ABB1-41D3-B154-AB3707962D6A.thumb.jpeg.0b285de20dee7c119664a0b2c03f7c4c.jpeg

4D07742B-949F-4CF4-89DD-98A03C2616F7.thumb.jpeg.ea243e038921a3cec5d6ae1fe3c7682a.jpeg

55EBBD34-2E4F-456A-A454-06713EE38301.thumb.jpeg.21506537901048bc7cc9af457060e0b1.jpeg

https://www.facebook.com/trevor.russell.37/videos/10216879135983272/

Looking good JG!  Thanks for the reporting & pics!  I’m jonesing here!  Us at home need these fixes badly!  11 days until my butt is in the saddle for the season opener!

Brion is just a big teddy bear!  Hugs & beard tugs can work wonders eh?

Looking forward to seeing you somewhere this winter. 

Best,

Tom

Question. Im going north this weekend. Whats the difference between the trail 33 and the 345 route you took. 

Going to windigo and leaving from the Glacier  Cabano was full

Also any suggestions and for gas?

Thanks 

mike

1 hour ago, doo4adoo said:

Question. Im going north this weekend. Whats the difference between the trail 33 and the 345 route you took. 

Going to windigo and leaving from the Glacier  Cabano was full

Also any suggestions and for gas?

Thanks 

mike

Leaving from La Glaciere you’ll need to top off at the Cab if you’re going to fuel at Kanawata 205 klms via 345 (10 or 15k less via 33) or you can bypass the Cab and fuel at Repos, I suggest option one, big lines for gas at Repos on the week end. After Kanawata you’ll want to top off at Wemotachi, I don’t think Windigo sells fuel so you’ll have to top off again the next day back in Wemotachi on your return trip.

You can also drive to and park at Riviere Mattawin then ride thru La Tuque and Relais 22. Just another option.

10 hours ago, Trailblazer said:

Leaving from La Glaciere you’ll need to top off at the Cab if you’re going to fuel at Kanawata 205 klms via 345 (10 or 15k less via 33) or you can bypass the Cab and fuel at Repos, I suggest option one, big lines for gas at Repos on the week end. After Kanawata you’ll want to top off at Wemotachi, I don’t think Windigo sells fuel so you’ll have to top off again the next day back in Wemotachi on your return trip.

You can also drive to and park at Riviere Mattawin then ride thru La Tuque and Relais 22. Just another option.

Thanks

We're going to go via the Relais 22 and then back down the other side on 33 on the Sunday. I know Repos is not a great spot to stop and only been through there once before and couldn't remember the gas situation along the route. We carry gas so famous last words, we should be good lol

Any real word on how the trails are around the chalet yet?

3 hours ago, doo4adoo said:

Thanks

We're going to go via the Relais 22 and then back down the other side on 33 on the Sunday. I know Repos is not a great spot to stop and only been through there once before and couldn't remember the gas situation along the route. We carry gas so famous last words, we should be good lol

Any real word on how the trails are around the chalet yet?

Trails north of St.Andre are a 1 star, south are still closed, this may change after this new snow. Heading up there on the week end to inspect.